[MLCad] List of known bugs in MLCad 3.3

[MLCad] List of known bugs in MLCad 3.3
Hi,

I'd like to put down a list of the known bugs in the current 3.3 version. Feel free to add:
  • If I go to MLCad setting, tab Rendering and choose "Background color" in that color dialog I can not browse through the colors - http://news.lugnet.com/cad/mlcad/?n=2305

• In some cases I cannot manipulate the rotation matrix because the angle value in the vector field (which I never saw much use of anyhow) is something like -9.223372 * 10^n and MLCad does not understand it. So whenever I try to open up the rotation matrix field I get a dialog saying that the angle should be between -180 and 180 and the field remains disabled. What's worse, the same is for the vector fields and thus I cannot reset the angle! All I can do is reset the matrix manually in LDDP. *Highly* annoying - http://news.lugnet.com/cad/mlcad/?n=2307

• There is a bug in the generated partslist when using a new color. For example when I use a part with color 81 Metalic_Green it reports as Chrome_Black. See: http://www.binarybricks.nl/test/colorerror.gif Can this be resolved with a change in ldconfig or is a real bug in MLCad 3.30? - http://news.lugnet.com/cad/mlcad/?n=2343

• File > Scan parts generates a Parts.lst file that breaks long filenames:
    75174p01c01.daAnimal Dragon Oriental w. Chr.Gold Head and Tr.Red Wings (Comp.)

• Copying a color to the colorbar the statusbar will always show the default color name from 1 - 16.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Re: List of known bugs in MLCad 3.3
> File > Scan parts generates a Parts.lst file that breaks long filenames:
> 75174p01c01.daAnimal Dragon Oriental w. Chr.Gold Head and Tr.Red Wings (Comp.)

Does anyone know if this is because MLCad has its own parts.lst generator or that it is calling mklist.exe with inappropriate options?

Chris
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
Re: [MLCad] List of known bugs in MLCad 3.3
Most obvious one I can think of so far is the lack of an undo feature. A single mistake may mean scrapping several minutes' worth of progress.
Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
MLCAD Version 3.40
  • Marking a part in a 2D panel this part does NOT highlight in the list above. Clicking on the slider in the list (if any) will solve it.
  • Not really a bug but a dream: Marking parts (which are not visible in a 2D panel) using the 3D panel.
-----
I know I am part of a story that starts long before I can remember and continues long beyond when anyone will remember me [Long Now: Danny Hillis, Desinger of the 10'000 Year Clock]
Arthur Sigg Wrote:[*] Marking a part in a 2D panel this part does NOT highlight in the list above. Clicking on the slider in the list (if any) will solve it.
Actually it depends on the machine (probably on video board drivers). I have a PC that shows this behaviour, another one that works correctly.

Quote:[*] Not really a bug but a dream: Marking parts (which are not visible in a 2D panel) using the 3D panel.
[/list]
How many times did I wish for that!!!
Re: [MLCad] List of known bugs in MLCad 3.4
MLCAD doesn't like nested MPD files.

I.e. when an MPD file references another MPD file the positions get messed up.

LDView works fine with these files.
Also, for very large models, if you switch views from top to bottom for instance, you are no longer centered on the parts you were working on. Instead you have to move the camera and find the location you were last at.
MLCad doesn't come with an uninstaller. Thus any registry changes remain after you delete the program forcibly.
MLCad won't let me import the attached file into an MPD.

Attached Files
.ldr   vehicle_023_vtemc1.ldr (Size: 674 bytes / Downloads: 0)
I think that's because of the FILE line, which technically makes it a mpd
Oh. Never mind then.
Yes, we can not say it's a plain model file only from the extension. The content is important. And MLCad can not import mpd-content files. But in this case its easy as only the first line "0 FILE ..." needs to be deleted to make it a plain model file.
It seems a lot of Datsville files suffered from this. Maybe due to being split from an MPD file a long time ago?
MLCAD should be open sourced.
Industrial Design, Linux, Lego.
Nathanel Titane Wrote:MLCAD should be open sourced.

Yes. It is still my editor of choice. And there are not really many bugs.
Will never happen.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
I'm pretty sure it contains code that doesn't belong to Michael, and because of that he couldn't make it open source even if he wanted to.
I have a large complicated model with sub-models and sub-sub models. When a part or sub-model is missing, MLCAD spawns an error. Unfortunately, this error does not tell you where in the model hierarchy the file is missing. This should be fixed, IMO.
Minor feature requests:

1. Assign the "CTRL+A" shortcut to "Select All". This is pretty common among Windows software.
2. Assign some sorts of keyboard shortcuts to panning the camera in the viewing panes. My middle mouse button is not working so well lately.
I just noticed that in the "Step, Grid, Snap" settings you can't raise the step units over 100. This makes it tricky to move baseplates if you want to do that.
Use the "Position & Orientation" dialog if you wanna move real coarse.
LEGO ergo sum
As Willy said, the "Position & Orientation" dialog is useful for exact moves even in large amounts.

But the 100 restriction you see on the grid settings is purely a UI limit on that dialog. If you have the need you can RegEdit some larger values in there (whilst MLCad is not running) and they will function correctly (I've only tested it up to 1000), and of course you can make yourself a little .reg file to automate this if for some reason you have the regular need for it Smile
Michael Horvath Wrote:2. Assign some sorts of keyboard shortcuts to panning the camera in the viewing panes. My middle mouse button is not working so well lately.

My middle mouse button is also useless now. I think all the sweaty gunge that collects on the wheel has dribbled down inside and solidified within the microswitch Wink

Perhaps not always as good as direct keyboard shortcuts, but are you aware that you can pan even in Edit mode using Shift and left mouse button? I find that extremely useful, even moreso than keyboard shortcuts would have been on the larger models.
Stephen Wrote:Perhaps not always as good as direct keyboard shortcuts, but are you aware that you can pan even in Edit mode using Shift and left mouse button? I find that extremely useful, even moreso than keyboard shortcuts would have been on the larger models.
Oh, wow! I didn't know that. Thanks!
80 LDU ended up being sufficient, so I guess it's not that big a deal.
Michael Horvath Wrote:1. Assign the "CTRL+A" shortcut to "Select All". This is pretty common among Windows software.

True, although I can't personally say I've ever missed having Ctrl+A functionality in MLCad, probably due to the fact that I use "Select All", "Select Same Type", and "Select Same Color" equally as much as each other, and all three are sitting right there next to each other on the Controlbar Toolbar making them accessible in a single click.

However, if you're particularly desperate for it, you can get the desired Ctrl+A functionality by modifying just two bytes of MLCad.exe (or a copy of it) with a hex editor. Let me know if you want the details (for MLCad 3.40).
Sounds like your are NOT reading my tutorials?! Are you?

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Willy Tschager Wrote:Sounds like your are NOT reading my tutorials?! Are you?

w.

LOL! I thought I was an expert!
Here's another minor feature request: "Zoom/Focus on selected part". It can be a pain to hunt for a part in all four views. This would make that a lot easier. Smile
Can this thread be unsticky?
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
Yes, for sure.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »