First download Mac

First download Mac
Hello, I try the step 1 download for mac. Nothing happens. With the help link (http://www.ldraw.org/article/96), answer "not found". Small temporary outage?
Re: First download Mac
I thnik the link should be to complete.zip

http://www.ldraw.org/download/get/complete/88.html
Yes, Roland's link is correct. (Webmasters, please fix this.)

Please note that Bricksmith comes with a copy of the complete part library already, so many users can actually skip the "cannot be skipped" Step 1. However, I only update it when I make a release of Bricksmith, which means the copy I'm distributing is a bit old now (2011-01 instead of 2012-02).

Allen
Fixed (I think).

I think I'd prefer to 'require' people to get the latest files to avoid confusion over missing parts.

Tim
Thank you, Bricksmith works !
For whatever it's worth, a major complaint I've heard about LDraw is that it's too complicated to get going—there's this whole constellation of independently-developed applications, and an independent part library, and they all must be made to play together manually. Many non-technical users will give up.

Obviously, the "problem" of independently-developed applications is the key strength of the system. But having to figure out how to install a part library and associate it with the editor before you can even start building is a significant and less-than-necessary obstacle. I believe it's better to reduce the friction of the first-run experience, then let the user graduate to installing the latest part library later.

Allen
Fair point.

Would it be possible for you to bundle the latest parts in like Willy does with the AIOI for Windows? That would be the ideal solution I think.

But for now I probably can't change much. Will be at a conference in Lausanne all week so my time and internet might be limited.

Tim (from Abu Dhabi airport)
Tim Gould Wrote:Would it be possible for you to bundle the latest parts in like Willy does with the AIOI for Windows?

I strongly encourage such a solution. Just give me a ring I case you need my legal/license stuff.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
I'm actually very interested in making something like this happen. I just need the time to research Mac installer software
Bricksmith is distributed in zip form. There are two zip files to choose from, one which includes the parts library as a separate folder inside the zip, and another that only includes Bricksmith itself (along with supporting and sample files). It's true that a Mac Package could be created that handles putting the files in standard locations, but most Mac apps don't do this.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »