Suggestion: change library archive file names

Suggestion: change library archive file names
One thing I would really like to see is a better name for the main library archives.

For example:

LDraw-2012_2-Official-Full.zip
LDraw-2012_2-Official-Inc.zip
LDraw-2012_2-Unofficia-Fulll.zip
etc

or
LDraw-20120729-Official-Full.zip
LDraw-20120729-Unofficial-Full.zip
etc
Re: Suggestion: change library archive file names
Roland Melkert Wrote:One thing I would really like to see is a better name for the main library archives.

For example:

LDraw-2012_2-Official-Full.zip
LDraw-2012_2-Official-Inc.zip
LDraw-2012_2-Unofficia-Fulll.zip
etc

or
LDraw-20120729-Official-Full.zip
LDraw-20120729-Unofficial-Full.zip
etc
I don't understand your request. Please explain the perceived benefits further.

Why "2012_2", when 2012-02 is an already well established nomenclature?
What would "...Official-Inc.zip" include?
Why abbreviate Unofficial to "Unofficia"?

Including a date in the Unofficial download file name would mean updating the website links every day.
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
I would like to see separate zip files for the main library, physical colour parts, alias part and the existing roll up of all 3. I know the exe file allows selective install but this is useless to me on non-Windows platforms.
You're not reading our own site?

http://www.ldraw.org/article/13.html

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Wow, I wasn't aware of that. Apparently I'm not as observant as I thought. In that case, I'm going to create a new download category and add these.
My post has been moved by someone, It was originality a reply to the "Main LDraw.org Website bugs/feature requests/todo list"

My main reason for suggesting this was so you could (easier) download older versions of the library, and also just having a complete.zip laying around (usb key etc) somewhere doesn't say much about it's version.

The names are purely suggestions, i hoped made my wish more clear. The 'inc' (from incremental backup) version would contain only the new/updated parts compared to the previous version just like the current download.

Hope this is more clear Smile
Roland Melkert Wrote:My post has been moved by someone, It was originality a reply to the "Main LDraw.org Website bugs/feature requests/todo list"
Not me.
Roland Melkert Wrote:My main reason for suggesting this was so you could (easier) download older versions of the library, and also just having a complete.zip laying around (usb key etc) somewhere doesn't say much about it's version.
Why would anyone ever want to download an out-of-date version of the complete library? Why would I want to clutter the (peeron) server with historical versions of the complete library? Making the name of the complete library version specific would require changing the website links every time we issue an update. The LDraw version of a particular complete.zip can be deduced from the latest release notes file (ldraw/models/Note<YY><RR>CA.txt file).
Roland Melkert Wrote:The names are purely suggestions, i hoped made my wish more clear. The 'inc' (from incremental backup) version would contain only the new/updated parts compared to the previous version just like the current download.
That's exactly what the lcad<YY><RR>.zip file already is.
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
Chris Dee Wrote:Why would anyone ever want to download an out-of-date version of the complete library?
Debugging an application, some problems could be library specific.
General historical interest.
Some problem with the latest lib, which isn't an issue in a earlier one.

Chris Dee Wrote:Why would I want to clutter the (peeron) server with historical versions of the complete library? Making the name of the complete library version specific would require changing the website links every time we issue an update.
Is there is a resource limit? The link could point to a symbolic link.

Chris Dee Wrote:That's exactly what the lcad<YY><RR>.zip file already is.
I did not know of their existence until I read this thread.

But all aside, if you don't like the idea don't use it, it was just a suggestion. I will just continue renaming the complete.zip 's locally.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »