Possible to stop forcing pages to reload?

Possible to stop forcing pages to reload?
While testing links in the new LDraw File Format Standards section of the web site, I noticed that every time I click on one of the links in the table of contents, it apparently reloads the page. (It definitely communicates with the site, and that communication introduces an extremely noticable delay). The same thing happens every time I hit the back button immediately after having navigated one of these in-document links.

Doing a little digging, I discovered that this is caused by the main site menu URL for the document being blahblahblah/218.html, while the table of contents links are all blahblahblah/218/#yadayada. If I point my browser directly at blahblahblah/218/, instead of blahblahblah/218.html, the problem goes away. Is there any way to use the blahblahblah/218/ version of the URL as the one from the menu, and make that the official URL, instead of the blahblahblah/218.html one?
Re: Possible to stop forcing pages to reload?
It would probably help to add / change the http timestamp of the pages, so the browser won't reload on each navigation.

Maybe it's done for the variant that's faster and not for the other?

edit: these are relavant:

header('Pragma: no-cache');
header('Expires: 0');
Re: Possible to stop forcing pages to reload?
I'll see what I can do.

CMSMS has some odd habits with loading and caching which I've not quite worked out (I'm pretty sure it doesn't have static pages at all). But it has its own way of doing self-linking which might work better.

Tim
[Webmaster alert] Use the new way of self-linking
This should be fixed. Apparently you need to use the 'proper' CMSMS way of internal linking using the {anchor} approach. See the authors guide for details.

I've got a perl script for conversion now so I'll alter pages as I find them.

Tim
Re: [Webmaster alert] Use the new way of self-linking
Tim Gould Wrote:This should be fixed. Apparently you need to use the 'proper' CMSMS way of internal linking using the {anchor} approach. See the authors guide for details.

Does it mean that the name tag cannot be used? If so the author page should reflect that with a proper advice.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Re: [Webmaster alert] Use the new way of self-linking
The name ref is fine. It's just the old-fashioned way of doing the 'id=' tag. But CMSMS processes pages in a bit of a weird way which makes its internal self-link more efficient and reliable than doing the links by hand.

Tim
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »