2446p60 Minifig Helmet Modern with Spyrius Pattern

2446p60 Minifig Helmet Modern with Spyrius Pattern
Let me know what you all think about this design. I'm not too keen about the warping on some of the quads along the sides. Any pointers in how to easily fix them would be appreciated. Also is 2446p60 ok for the part number? Thanks.

Phil

Attached Files
.dat   2446px14.dat (Size: 80.54 KB / Downloads: 0)
Re: 2446p60 Minifig Helmet Modern with Spyrius Pattern
I think that you did a pretty good job on this pattern! Yes, there is some distortion on the sides, but it's hard to do something better. Perhaps the elongated circle on side could be corrected: looks like you created the pattern as a circle viewed from top, but since it's on slanted side, it's compressed and should look like a distorted ellipse viewed from top.
Otherwise...
The bottom of helmet is now BFC inverted! Anyway, there's some work to to there, you need to subpart the bottom and inner part of the helmet for other patterned version...
Ok. Fixing the inverted BFC was simple enough. But when I try to clean up the lines on the sides of the helmet it keeps screwing up the coordinates. I'm good enough at math to calculate 2D coordinate systems, but 3D is a little beyond me. Is there a good program to use for calculating 3D intersections and coordinate systems? Also is there a program for splitting quads into triangles? If not I can calculate the triangles and put them in by hand in place of the quad, but that still leaves me an issue when I clean up the lines the edges not matching up anymore. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Phil
Moving things in 3D is indeed a nightmare.
Quote:Is there a good program to use for calculating 3D intersections and coordinate systems?
Maybe LDCalc or LCad calculator can help?
I also sometimes use Isecalc for that...
Quote:Also is there a program for splitting quads into triangles?
If you set error angle at 0 in Planarcheck it will automatically split all quads. Or you can edit the LDraw source file with LDDP and split things "manually"!
Not a big deal, but a few of the condlines are messed up. Try viewing it in LDView with "All Conditional Lines" and "Conditional Control Points" turned on.

Also, does this part really meet at such a sharp angle at the back-bottom? (with such a large under-ledge in the front, and none in the back?)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »