LDCad My first MOC using LDCAD

My first MOC using LDCAD
Hello Everyone,

This is my first posting on the forum. Hopefully this is the correct place to post.

I have just finished creating my first Classic Space-themed MOC, using LDCAD and POVray to render and would welcome any comments or suggestions.

Many thanks,

Max

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: My first MOC using LDCAD
Like it - like all Classic Space things.

The real challange is using exclusivly parts available in that particular era.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2023-08-17, 14:46)Willy Tschager Wrote: Like it - like all Classic Space things.

The real challange is using exclusivly parts available in that particular era.

w.

Thanks. Yes, I see your point. Maybe an option would be to design models based on the parts list of official models from the particular era. I read an article in Hispabrick Magazine about the aesthetics of designing Star Wars-style models. Is there anything similar on the design principles behind the Classic Space era? Does anyone know?

In the meantime, my own observations Wink are:
  • The main colours are blue, light grey, yellow and white
  • Vehicles for space flight have an aerodynamic appearance (maybe some Lego planets have atmospheres? Huh )
  • There are many small models, which can be combined easily in dioramas  
  • Buildings are open to the atmosphere, or lack thereof. Astronauts wear their breathing apparatus full time...

What does anyone else think? 

Max
It is my understanding that there are two schools of thought:

Classic Space - Building with what was available in that particular time and respecting the color scheme: Blue/Grey/Trans Yellow, Blue/White/Trans Dark Blue, vehicles in Light Grey ...
Neo Classic Space - Re-interpreting the spirit with modern parts, respecting the color scheme.

Given that I consider myself a miserable MOCer my attempts for the first school can be found here. (You'll find out that I failed miserably).

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2023-08-18, 12:50)Willy Tschager Wrote: It is my understanding that there are two schools of thought:

Classic Space - Building with what was available in that particular time and respecting the color scheme: Blue/Grey/Trans Yellow, Blue/White/Trans Dark Blue, vehicles in Light Grey ...
Neo Classic Space - Re-interpreting the spirit with modern parts, respecting the color scheme.

Given that I consider myself a miserable MOCer my attempts for the first school can be found here. (You'll find out that I failed miserably).

w.

Grazie!

I think your models are very nice indeed and definitely capture the original Classic Space look. My own MOC is more neo-classic than classic, I guess.

I have also now used your excellent tutorial on MLCAD. It was a very helpful introduction to the programme. I am planning to try out the advanced section shortly and also look at the LSynth tutorial. Thanks very much for them. The more I learn, the more I see what great possibilities LDraw offers...

Best wishes,

Max
(2023-08-20, 5:09)Hughes Wrote: I have also now used your excellent tutorial on MLCAD. It was a very helpful introduction to the programme.

While the principles used in MLCAD can translate, I encourage you to stay with LDCad. It is a much more modern and feature capable LDraw editor. Part Snapping alone is reason to use it.
(2023-08-20, 14:11)Orion Pobursky Wrote: While the principles used in MLCAD can translate, I encourage you to stay with LDCad. It is a much more modern and feature capable LDraw editor. Part Snapping alone is reason to use it.

Thanks for your advice. Yes, the part snapping is a very useful feature of LDCAD.

At the moment, I am still in the discovery phase for using these tools and trying to get my head around the flexible parts in LDCAD  Huh

Best wishes,

Max
That's awesome!! - I love how Benny got a revival in the first Lego movie, - legacy Space and particularly that character was what I was all about during my LEGO phase! - thanks for the memories, that's a tight build you made Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »