LeoDraw snapping parts

LeoDraw snapping parts
I am new to the LDraw All-In-One programs and, after installing, I began a project (MOC Classic Battlestar Galactica) and found that snapping parts doesn't appear to be working for parts that I star with.

I tried using the Movement Snap option to adjust snapping parts together, but it doesn't seem to work exactly right.

Being able to precisely adjust X, Y, and Z coordinates might help, but an actual snapping certain parts would help.

For example, Part Technic Beam 7x5 With Open Center 5x3, 64179 is the first part.  I attempted to plug in Technic Pin With Friction Type 2, 61332 into the vertical holes (or even the horizontal holes, and though it "fits" not precise, being offset and phasing through, it doesn't appear to "snap" into place precisely.  There are offsets that need adjusting both Z and the X or Y just slightly.  

Is there a way to make the fine tuned adjustments either using exact typing of X, Y, and/or Z coordinates or create true snapping abilities?  These parts apparently aren't true "solids" as parts phase through one another, and it would be nice if they actually were "solids", but I'll take whatever I can get.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm completely new to this program, so I may be easily missing something.

Thanks.
RE: LeoDraw snapping parts
(2024-08-23, 2:59)Andrew Rhodes Wrote: I am new to the LDraw All-In-One programs and, after installing, I began a project (MOC Classic Battlestar Galactica) and found that snapping parts doesn't appear to be working for parts that I star with.

I tried using the Movement Snap option to adjust snapping parts together, but it doesn't seem to work exactly right.

Being able to precisely adjust X, Y, and Z coordinates might help, but an actual snapping certain parts would help.

For example, Part Technic Beam 7x5 With Open Center 5x3, 64179 is the first part.  I attempted to plug in Technic Pin With Friction Type 2, 61332 into the vertical holes (or even the horizontal holes, and though it "fits" not precise, being offset and phasing through, it doesn't appear to "snap" into place precisely.  There are offsets that need adjusting both Z and the X or Y just slightly.  

Is there a way to make the fine tuned adjustments either using exact typing of X, Y, and/or Z coordinates or create true snapping abilities?  These parts apparently aren't true "solids" as parts phase through one another, and it would be nice if they actually were "solids", but I'll take whatever I can get.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm completely new to this program, so I may be easily missing something.

Thanks.

Hi Andrew,

welcome to LDraw.org.

When you say LeoDraw, do you mean LeoCad? If so, you may want to look at LDCad instead. The LDCad and BrickLink's Studio tools are probably the most commonly used and you are probably more likely to get a reply to questions for either.

Regards,

David
(2024-08-23, 2:59)Andrew Rhodes Wrote: For example, Part Technic Beam 7x5 With Open Center 5x3, 64179 is the first part.  I attempted to plug in Technic Pin With Friction Type 2, 61332 into the vertical holes (or even the horizontal holes, and though it "fits" not precise, being offset and phasing through, it doesn't appear to "snap" into place precisely.  There are offsets that need adjusting both Z and the X or Y just slightly.  

LDraw parts don't include the information needed to simulate solid parts. Most editors with any kind of snapping ether generate basic information or maintain supplement information.

As fas I know LeoCad has grid editing only. So to place those pins in the beams you will need to use a fine (1,1,1) grid.

Like mentioned above the alternative is using an editor that does support part snapping like my LDCad.

Just remember the 1.6 version (included with the aioi) has part snapping disabled at first start. You can enable it by clicking 'GS' in compass or by pressing 'P' while the mouse cursor is inside the editing area. As of 1.7 it is enabled by default for clean installs.
Thank you both for the information.  I downloaded the LDCad 1.7 Beta and am working with it as best I can.  But, yes, I am liking the snapping function of LDCad.  It does make it a lot easier, and more familiar.

I wish I had know about LDCad before I ordered the physical blocks for this model.  Either way, it's going to take a LONG time to put this together, being over 23,000 parts.  But that's why I like LEGOs/Building Blocks.  I'm visually impaired and have very little accuracy with plastic models any longer, so the snapping of blocks, whether physical or digital, are very important.  And the more pieces, the better.  Smile

Thanks again.

Andrew

(2024-08-23, 20:58)Roland Melkert Wrote: LDraw parts don't include the information needed to simulate solid parts. Most editors with any kind of snapping ether generate basic information or maintain supplement information.

As fas I know LeoCad has grid editing only. So to place those pins in the beams you will need to use a fine (1,1,1) grid.

Like mentioned above the alternative is using an editor that does support part snapping like my LDCad.

Just remember the 1.6 version (included with the aioi) has part snapping disabled at first start. You can enable it by clicking 'GS' in compass or by pressing 'P' while the mouse cursor is inside the editing area. As of 1.7 it is enabled by default for clean installs.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »