Inconsistancy in description

Inconsistancy in description
Hi all,

Currently I am modelling a lot in LDCad. (when not ;-)
I keep struggling finding some bricks here and there.

For example:
Part 30357 its description is "Plate 3 x 3 with 2 x 2 Corner Round" and is seen as a modified plate
Then 30565 is "Plate 4x4 Corner Round" and is seen as a normal plate?

I have always found this strange. Either both are normal plates or modified IMHO.

I think this has to do with the word... "with" in the description. Does LDCad not categorize parts with "with" in the name, as "modified"?
So we should consider changing the description of 30565 to "Plate 4x4 with Corner Round"?

There are more plates that seem to be categorized as normal, but are in fact modified.

For example:
  • Both 39613 and 46342 heart shaped plates. "Plate 3x3 Heart Shape" should be "Plate 3x3 with Heart Shape"?
  • A real outsider in the normal Plate category IMHO is 4590 Plate 1x4 Offset.
  • The most strange part in the Plate category, though unofficial, is 50408 Projectile Launcher  2 x 10 x  3 Tornado Spinner Launcher Base. How and why is this a Plate? ;-)

The list goes on....

What about 6161 Plate 1x1 round? Normal or modified. We cannot add the word "with" to its description. Could remain normal then.

Does anyone feel the same as me, and think that a Plate is only a straight plate (1x1, 1x2, 1x3, ...., 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, ..., 4x6, 8x10, etc, etc)
All other "plates" should be Plate Modified.
Then again, decisions should be made about plates like the 2x2 Corner plate (2420) and 4x4 Corner (2639).
The could be normal plates.

What do you all think?

We had the same discussion about some tiles I think?
A real outsiders here for example is 30358 Tile 2x2 with Jet Engine.
Shouldn't there be a "Tile Modified" category, so again, tiles are only tiles without any modification.
We could use the word "with" here to filter that out and create a new bin in LDCad, I think?

The same goes for some Bricks too BTW: 30136 Brick 1x2 log for example is a "normal" brick, not "modified....
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
RE: Inconsistancy in description
(2023-06-15, 8:11)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Does anyone feel the same as me, and think that a Plate is only a straight plate (1x1, 1x2, 1x3, ...., 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, ..., 4x6, 8x10, etc, etc)
All other "plates" should be Plate Modified.
Then again, decisions should be made about plates like the 2x2 Corner plate (2420) and 4x4 Corner (2639).
The could be normal plates.

What do you all think?

I think a "Plate" is just the basic plates, NxN rectangles.

I think a "Plate, Modified" has had something added to it, like a clip or handle, or has had its stud configuration changed (like some missing ones, or they are offset). In other words, there has been a change of some kind in the available connection or functional points—added, subtracted or moved.

I think the plates with rounded edges are neither of these. They're not simple Plates because they aren't rectangular, but they aren't really Modified because they have all the expected connection points for their shape, no more and no less. They are probably a third category like "Plate, Round". In other words, exactly like Bricklink. :-)

But unlike Bricklink, I think there is an equivalent category of Plate, Angled for most of what BL calls "Wedges" and perhaps some of the "Wings".
(2023-06-15, 8:11)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Currently I am modelling a lot in LDCad. (when not ;-)
I keep struggling finding some bricks here and there.

The default bins are somewhat out-of-date regarding the newer library.

Most are 'polluted' in some way.

The current rules for plain plates are:
Code:
include category plate
exclude description ~*,_*,=*
exclude description duplo,fabuland
exclude keyword wing
exclude description without corner

So ether that plate isn't in the plate category or it has the wing keyword.
If not there might be a bug.
(2023-06-29, 18:29)Roland Melkert Wrote: The default bins are somewhat out-of-date regarding the newer library.

Most are 'polluted' in some way.

The current rules for plain plates are:
Code:
include category plate
exclude description ~*,_*,=*
exclude description duplo,fabuland
exclude keyword wing
exclude description without corner

So ether that plate isn't in the plate category or it has the wing keyword.
If not there might be a bug.

Indeed, I think it has to do with the inconsistancy in descriptions and missing keywords.

I did some tweaking here and there to the config files to suit my needs.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »