"invisible" condlines for fine shading

"invisible" condlines for fine shading
While modifying some stuff about part 50898, I have encountered a bit of a problem. There was a situation that required to use condlines with all points being on the same plane. It it okay? Or maybe there are some ways to work around such problems? If not use that condline at all, software like LDView gives off a pretty bad picture in terms of shading with edges appearing sharp when they clearly should be not that way
RE: "invisible" condlines for fine shading
(2022-07-13, 17:58)Max Murtazin Wrote: While modifying some stuff about part 50898, I have encountered a bit of a problem. There was a situation that required to use condlines with all points being on the same plane. It it okay? Or maybe there are some ways to work around such problems? If not use that condline at all, software like LDView gives off a pretty bad picture in terms of shading with edges appearing sharp when they clearly should be not that way

While it is not a common practice, it is done from time to time, to avoid those artefacts.
(2022-07-13, 17:58)Max Murtazin Wrote: While modifying some stuff about part 50898, I have encountered a bit of a problem. There was a situation that required to use condlines with all points being on the same plane. It it okay? Or maybe there are some ways to work around such problems? If not use that condline at all, software like LDView gives off a pretty bad picture in terms of shading with edges appearing sharp when they clearly should be not that way

I think the genaral rule of thumb is that a surface is considered flat if the angle between 2 triangles are less than 0.1 degree, and then no condline is allowed.
We should not adapt the code in a file to shortcomings in specific software.

But sometimes, some of us bend that rule by tweaking the code, or rather the surface.
From an admin standpoint, I don't really care as long as this and similar practices remain firmly optional
(2022-07-13, 21:39)Orion Pobursky Wrote: From an admin standpoint, I don't really care as long as this and similar practices remain firmly optional

So, what does that mean ultimately? Should I go for good shading or no "invisible" condlines?
Whatever you feel is best. It doesn't affect the geometry, only the shading in some programs.
Thanks, got it
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »