Proposal of new primitives

Proposal of new primitives
I propose the introduction of these six primitives (3 version 16 sides and 3 version 48 sides) that could solve some situations.
The example I have attached is the one with which I came up with the idea, in fact the most correct use would be for patterns with incomplete rings of different colors.
The primitives I propose come from the classic ndis to which, however, I moved the vertex of the circumscribed square to bring it to the vertical of the last vertex of the circle.

They should be quite interchangeable with the current tang primitives, but reducing the number of triangles required (partly because they are already included in the primitives and partly because their shape is more regular).

Attached Files
.dat   npeghol7-official.dat (Size: 792 bytes / Downloads: 4)
.dat   npeghol7-tang.dat (Size: 1.08 KB / Downloads: 2)
.dat   npeghol7-tdis.dat (Size: 810 bytes / Downloads: 3)
.dat   48 1-8tdis.dat (Size: 475 bytes / Downloads: 1)
.dat   1-16tdis.dat (Size: 252 bytes / Downloads: 3)
.dat   3-16tdis.dat (Size: 340 bytes / Downloads: 4)
.dat   1-8tdis.dat (Size: 294 bytes / Downloads: 3)
.dat   48 1-16tdis.dat (Size: 353 bytes / Downloads: 2)
.dat   48 3-16tdis.dat (Size: 601 bytes / Downloads: 3)
RE: Proposal of new primitives
(2021-07-12, 22:19)Massimo Maso Wrote: I propose the introduction of these six primitives (3 version 16 sides and 3 version 48 sides) that could solve some situations.
The example I have attached is the one with which I came up with the idea, in fact the most correct use would be for patterns with incomplete rings of different colors.
The primitives I propose come from the classic ndis to which, however, I moved the vertex of the circumscribed square to bring it to the vertical of the last vertex of the circle.

They should be quite interchangeable with the current tang primitives, but reducing the number of triangles required (partly because they are already included in the primitives and partly because their shape is more regular).

It would help if you add also a thumbnail to have a general idea before downloading the prims.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2021-07-12, 22:19)Massimo Maso Wrote: I propose the introduction of these six primitives (3 version 16 sides and 3 version 48 sides) that could solve some situations.

Not against it - actually I proposed that when I was a baby parts author a long time ago (Lugnet era...) but tang primitives was said to do the job then. Note that there are many more 48-sided such primitives that make sense (eg. 1-24 or 7-48)!
Photo 
Attached is the image with the comparison of the primitives.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(2021-07-13, 22:00)Massimo Maso Wrote: Attached is the image with the comparison of the primitives.

Would it be agreed that these would all be less than 1/4 circles? In other words, these three, plus the extra 48 ones would be the only possibilities? (I ask because it's unclear what something like 11/16 would look like.)

On the 48 front, the other possible ones would then be:
  • 1-48
  • 1-24 (2/48)
  • 1-12 (4/48)
  • 5-48
  • 7-48
  • 1-6 (8/48)
  • 5-24 (10/48)
  • 11-48
Since 1-4tdis would be equal to 1-4ndis, it makes no sense that these primitives exceed 1-4 of a circle. In case you need it, use a normal ndis and tdis for the remaining part.

As for the 48-sided versions, they are useful because they save some lines of code and neighboring but not coincident points for rounding.

In the meantime it occurred to me that the complementary part could already be foreseen (with a lot of imagination I indicated it as tdis2); even if these are already obtainable now with the ndis and adding a triangle would only reduce the number of lines and the possibilities of error.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.dat   1-16tdis2.dat (Size: 274 bytes / Downloads: 0)
.dat   1-8tdis2.dat (Size: 311 bytes / Downloads: 0)
.dat   3-16tdis2.dat (Size: 353 bytes / Downloads: 0)
I am for these primitives.

I've found this part Duplo arch u977 has an underside center divider (missing in the part model), and these primitives will fit nicely.
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...s/u977.dat
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »