Unified Menu (UM) - image intense

Unified Menu (UM) - image intense
It always helps to see a prototype so, here is an overly detailed mock-up of what my suggested Unified Menu (UM) would look like and how it could potentially look on sub domains and mobile along with a breakdown of the UM tree itself.

Home Page:

Parts Tracker Main:

UM break down:

When first staring to use the website I was confused, in part, because of the navigation differences on the main site and the sub domains. One guideline that don't seem to apply in the site is that the final node on a menu tree should be the clickable one. Now that there is work being done to update many aspects of the website it is the perfect opportunity for everyone to pitch in ideas and suggestions.

Regarding the UM, nothing is set in stone, this is just one iteration attempting to include as much as possible in the menu bar without taking the whole screen and making it as intuitive as I can. Note the inclusion of items like the Facebook group, and the place holder for the submit model page on the OMR, among other things, leaving some potential for growth in the future.

Along with the admins and active contributors, it would be great if regular users stop by and leave their thoughts or comments on this.
RE: Unified Menu (UM) - image intense
I'm not sure about that submenu under the main menu. I might gen up an implementation to see it in real life.

Otherwise, I like lot of you organization suggestions. Getting things into the right buckets (menu heading) is something that I want but have trouble deciding on.

Right now the big outlier will be the forums. A new template system is in the works for the next version (whenever that happens) and I'm not really keen on spending the effort until that happens.
(2020-08-17, 18:24)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I'm not sure about that submenu under the main menu. I might gen up an implementation to see it in real life.

Otherwise, I like lot of you organization suggestions. Getting things into the right buckets (menu heading) is something that I want but have trouble deciding on.

Right now the big outlier will be the forums. A new template system is in the works for the next version (whenever that happens) and I'm not really keen on spending the effort until that happens.

Here's a mockup. I'm not adverse to it but think it could be better. Also, not sure how to do a mobile solution. I'll tinker some more.
https://www.ldraw.org/hidden-content/sit...-beta.html
(2020-08-17, 20:51)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Here's a mockup. I'm not adverse to it but think it could be better. Also, not sure how to do a mobile solution. I'll tinker some more.

In that example the search box on the main menu could be your site-wide search and you could move the PT search box (ptdetail/ptscan) to the secondary menu.
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
(2020-08-18, 8:54)Chris Dee Wrote: In that example the search box on the main menu could be your site-wide search and you could move the PT search box (ptdetail/ptscan) to the secondary menu.

I honestly didn't think about that, or rather didn't consider the usability of search in the website as I haven't used it yet. It does makes some sense to have a dedicated sub domain search.

There are two other approaches I could think to suggest (and I know I am talking about more work Tongue ). First, is to have a checkbox on the secondary menu that reads "Limit Search to Parts Tracker". This way you could have a checkbox in the OMR too, that will only influence the search box when on their respective areas.

Second, to create an "advanced search page" where the checkbox option appears as radio buttons:
  • Website-Wide Search
  • Limit Search to PT
  • Limit Search to OMR
  • [insert any other area limit for future growth]
I do like the smaller version of the secondary menu, it seems to make it more identifiable as a list of "local" options. Although, I would space it a bit more from top and bottom.
I've implemented some of your menu organization suggestions. I think the menus are much more compact and intuitive now.
(2020-08-18, 16:08)Leonardo Gonzalez Wrote: Second, to create an "advanced search page" where the checkbox option appears as radio buttons:
  • Website-Wide Search
  • Limit Search to PT
  • Limit Search to OMR
  • [insert any other area limit for future growth]

A "Grand Unified Search" is definitely in the works but will take time.

I've also noticed a limitation of the built in CMS search: it doesn't search compiled templates, only article text. This means that dynamically generates content, like the LDConfig color table, doesn't show up in search.
I've polished up the menu bars a bit, added search boxes, and added the mobile menu.

Thoughts?
(2020-08-19, 17:07)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I've polished up the menu bars a bit, added search boxes, and added the mobile menu.

Thoughts?
Looks good! (tried on Chrome PC and phone) General search is not yet working?
(2020-08-19, 18:12)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Looks good! (tried on Chrome PC and phone) General search is not yet working?

It is but not on the test page (I guess I'll have to make a search js file). If you want to see what it looks like, use the search box on the main site front page.
(2020-08-19, 17:07)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I've polished up the menu bars a bit, added search boxes, and added the mobile menu.

Thoughts?

I like the mobile solution. Having the "secondary menu" first on mobile makes a lot of sense.
If there is no further discussion, I'm going to implement the secondary menu on the PT (with the OMR to follow later as that will require an extensive template overhaul) sometime in the next few days
(2020-08-21, 2:04)Orion Pobursky Wrote: If there is no further discussion, I'm going to implement the secondary menu on the PT (with the OMR to follow later as that will require an extensive template overhaul) sometime in the next few days

Is it correct that nothing will happen if I click on the looking glass icon, on the PT search box?
If I type a number and press Enter a search is executed.
(2020-08-21, 18:54)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Is it correct that nothing will happen if I click on the looking glass icon, on the PT search box?

No. That's a bug. I'll try to figure out what's going on because it worked when I tested it but now it doesn't for some reason.

I would prefer that the "Search library" box is aligned with the "Search site" on the right border. There is a lot of empty room between "Help" and "Search". Why not also between "PT Tools" and "Search".

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2020-08-21, 19:04)Orion Pobursky Wrote: No. That's a bug. I'll try to figure out what's going on because it worked when I tested it but now it doesn't for some reason.

I fixed the problem but in a way I consider hacky and not sure why the issue was happening.
(2020-08-21, 19:14)Willy Tschager Wrote: I would prefer that the "Search library" box is aligned with the "Search site" on the right border. There is a lot of empty room between "Help" and "Search". Why not also between "PT Tools" and "Search".

w.

From a UI perspective, I'm not sure I want two search boxes that are relatively similar right next to each other.
(2020-08-21, 18:54)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Is it correct that nothing will happen if I click on the looking glass icon, on the PT search box?

I figured out why the problem existed: I had 2 form elements with the same id. This has now been fixed properly (as opposed to my hacky solution earlier)
Why do I get a hit on a horse's rear end, when I search for Pneumatic Tube?
As a user I expect the search to only find files containg both words that I typed.
(2020-08-22, 5:57)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Why do I get a hit on a horse's rear end, when I search for Pneumatic Tube?
As a user I expect the search to only find files containg both words that I typed.

I have no idea. I'm just return what ptscan outputs. You can start a new thread to discuss search results if you'd like.
(2020-08-22, 11:33)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I have no idea. I'm just return what ptscan outputs. You can start a new thread to discuss search results if you'd like.

I know why. The word "Tube" is present in that file.
When I write two words, I expect a search on "word1 AND word2", not "word1 OR word2".
To me, it looks like you have changed the behavior of the search tool. It used to work better.
(2020-08-22, 12:36)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I know why. The word "Tube" is present in that file.
When I write two words, I expect a search on "word1 AND word2", not "word1 OR word2".
To me, it looks like you have changed the behavior of the search tool. It used to work better.

I haven't done anything but expand the default search from "file name and description" to "part header" to better encapsulate searches for KEYWORDS. I haven't even touched the ptscan search script at all. In fact, the search results that show up in the suggestions isn't generated independently but scraped And reformatted from ptscan output.
(2020-08-22, 5:57)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Why do I get a hit on a horse's rear end, when I search for Pneumatic Tube?

Orion hasn't modified the behaviour of ptscan, but I changed it a while ago when I introduced the four different search scopes. It should search for word1 AND word2, but clearly does not. I'll investigate.
(2020-08-22, 21:45)Chris Dee Wrote: Orion hasn't modified the behaviour of ptscan, but I changed it a while ago when I introduced the four different search scopes. It should search for word1 AND word2, but clearly does not. I'll investigate.

This should be working as intended now.
(2020-08-23, 7:57)Chris Dee Wrote: This should be working as intended now.

Thanks, Now it works as expected.
Anyone else beginning to be very annoyed by the dropdown meny on top of the pages in the Part Tracker?
Would it be possible to delay the dropdown?
(2020-09-29, 17:37)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Anyone else beginning to be very annoyed by the dropdown meny on top of the pages in the Part Tracker?
Would it be possible to delay the dropdown?
Yes. I use convoluted mouse move to avoid the problem. The other issue I have is that the general search box and PT search box are too similar, and more often than none i use the wrong one!
(2020-09-29, 18:35)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: ....... i use the wrong one!

Me too.
(2020-09-29, 20:37)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Me too.

I never looked at the "Getting Started" page that much before...

I agree, it is a bit annoying. May be add some space between the main bar and the PT bar, one would have more space to pull the break on your mouse.

I'm still thinking how to better display the menus...
(2020-09-29, 22:26)Gerald Lasser Wrote: I never looked at the "Getting Started" page that much before...

I agree, it is a bit annoying. May be add some space between the main bar and the PT bar, one would have more space to pull the break on your mouse.

I'm still thinking how to better display the menus...

After living with this iteration for a bit it clear that it's better than it was but still needs some refinement. I'm also neutral on the new gradient background. I'd like a splash of color again but don't want to overdo it.

Also, totally possible to add a display delay to the drop downs so I'll have that implemented shortly.
(2020-09-29, 23:48)Orion Pobursky Wrote: After living with this iteration for a bit it clear that it's better than it was but still needs some refinement. I'm also neutral on the new gradient background. I'd like a splash of color again but don't want to overdo it.

Also, totally possible to add a display delay to the drop downs so I'll have that implemented shortly.

Delay implemented. I also changed the icon for one of the search boxes to better differentiate for now.
(2020-08-18, 16:08)Leonardo Gonzalez Wrote: ... I would space it a bit more from top and bottom.

(2020-09-29, 22:26)Gerald Lasser Wrote: ... Maybe add some space between the main bar and the PT bar, one would have more space to pull the break on your mouse.

In the original UM prototype, I included a healthy amount of space above and below the secondary menu bar. This not only helps with the clicking, but it also makes it easier on the eyes. Even if the secondary bar remains shorter (which seems fine), it should be spaced from top and bottom (preferably an equal amount). This is my vote towards implementing that change.
(2020-10-01, 20:13)Leonardo Gonzalez Wrote: In the original UM prototype, I included a healthy amount of space above and below the secondary menu bar. This not only helps with the clicking, but it also makes it easier on the eyes. Even if the secondary bar remains shorter (which seems fine), it should be spaced from top and bottom (preferably an equal amount). This is my vote towards implementing that change.

I adjusted the margins a bit.
It might be easier on the eye, but it hurts my index finger.  I dislike having to scroll pass empty space.
Another issue is the button Reset (is it new?) next to the Submit button on the vote pages.
I have on a few occasions discovered that my review has been deleted, instead of being registered.
(2020-10-06, 16:27)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Another issue is the button Reset (is it new?) next to the Submit button on the vote pages.
I have on a few occasions discovered that my review has been deleted, instead of being registered.

Reset is not new. I haven't touched that template since I converted the PT to the new style framework (Jul 2019).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »