LDCad Make 572c01 flexible

Make 572c01 flexible
Hi all,

I have a model that has the part 572c01 in it.

LEGO part 14210: String with End Studs and Minifig Grips 21L
Bricklink Item No: 63141
String with End Studs 21L overall with Climbing Grips (16.1cm)
Alternate Item No: 76065, 14210

Is there a template for LDCad for this yet?
If not, can someone make it or tell me how to do that.

In the end, I need this part to go to Stud.io too to make render of the model.
Thanks!
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
RE: Make 572c01 flexible
(2020-06-11, 9:34)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: If not, can someone make it or tell me how to do that.
Here it is...
.ldr   stringStudsBarsLQ.ldr (Size: 3.7 KB / Downloads: 19)
Quote:In the end, I need this part to go to Stud.io too to make render of the model.
That's where there's a problem. For some unknown reason, bar segment renders badly (some stupid scaling...). Found no way to get round Sad
Problem solved, see below

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(2020-06-11, 12:32)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Here it is...
That's where there's a problem. For some unknown reason, bar segment renders badly (some stupid scaling...). Found no way to get round Sad

Great! Thanks so much.
For now the gaps for the render will have to do. I'll Photoshop if I have to.
I will follow your tutorial to export the generated string to Stud.io!
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2020-06-11, 12:32)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Here it is...

Custom version of the 572c donor part, perhaps? That is, assuming you could figure out what Studio is doing weird with the scaling and adjust it in the file. I just have to wonder if there's something broken in Studio with respect to circular prims, since they're also rendering incorrectly in static parts, since earlier this year.

Other than that, I see have a little more to learn about how LDCad uses groups in path parts. :-)
(2020-06-11, 14:12)N. W. Perry Wrote: Custom version of the 572c donor part, perhaps?
I supposed that, but couldn't find anything wrong, except that file type was wrongly set to shortcut. I corrected, and updated the part in standard Studio library (two times, in official AND unofficial parts!). Nothing changed Sad
Quote:Other than that, I see have a little more to learn about how LDCad uses groups in path parts. :-)
Yes, that's something Roland explained to me recently. Very useful here...
(2020-06-11, 15:43)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: I supposed that, but couldn't find anything wrong, except that file type was wrongly set to shortcut. I corrected, and updated the part in standard Studio library (two times, in official AND unofficial parts!). Nothing changed Sad

Yeah, my thought was just to artificially adjust the scaling factor on the cylinder primitive, to offset whatever Studio is doing wrong. Even just by raw trial-and-error. But that's cumbersome as you have to keep re-launching Studio to refresh the custom parts.

Quote:Yes, that's something Roland explained to me recently. Very useful here...

I'm essentially aware of auto-grouping for the start and end caps, but as I recall it's not fully explained in the documentation. Anyway, that's a whole separate topic! :-)
So... I got the bugS!
First one was mine, I let the option "inline donor references", so the cylinder got inlined, and that scaled cylinder triggered Studio render bug that scales fake seam gap by the same amount...

As for snapping on cylinders, with current LDCad version you have to manually inline flex part (and loose LDCad editability). Loosely related to https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-23840-po...l#pid36311

Template corrected in my first post!
(2020-06-11, 18:22)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: So... I got the bugS!
First one was mine, I let the option "inline donor references", so the cylinder got inlined, and that scaled cylinder triggered Studio render bug that scales fake seam gap by the same amount...

As for snapping on cylinders, with current LDCad version you have to manually inline flex part (and loose LDCad editability). Loosely related to https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-23840-po...l#pid36311

Template corrected in my first post!

Great! Thanks again.
One thing though: the color of the donor part 572e should be 16 too, not 0 black. This string comes in 4 colors.
Black, brown, green and white. I am using a white one now and the string pieces are hardcoded black.

Thanks for pointing out how to do snapping.
I will model my string accordingly and when it is good, I'll make a copy and inline that one.
So, if I have to modify a bit, I can easily take the original flex part in my model ;-)
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »