LDPE triangle combine issue

LDPE triangle combine issue
LDPE isn't combining some triangles the way I would expect. Attached is a test file I created. If I select all 4 triangles and hit triangle to quad, nothing happens whereas I would expect them to combine to a single quad.

Attached Files
.dat   tri-quad-test.dat (Size: 362 bytes / Downloads: 5)
RE: LDPE triangle combine issue
(2020-01-31, 0:33)Orion Pobursky Wrote: LDPE isn't combining some triangles the way I would expect. Attached is a test file I created. If I select all 4 triangles and hit triangle to quad, nothing happens whereas I would expect them to combine to a single quad.
As the icon suggest, this tool only combines two adjacent triangles sitting in a common plane according to LDraw quad coplanarity specs. For your example you need to merge middle vertex with one of the side ones, then merge the resulting triangles.
(2020-01-31, 5:59)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: As the icon suggest, this tool only combines two adjacent triangles sitting in a common plane according to LDraw quad coplanarity specs. For your example you need to merge middle vertex with one of the side ones, then merge the resulting triangles.

Hmm ok. Add this to the "if would be cool if LPDE did this" list.
(2020-01-31, 0:33)Orion Pobursky Wrote: LDPE isn't combining some triangles the way I would expect. Attached is a test file I created. If I select all 4 triangles and hit triangle to quad, nothing happens whereas I would expect them to combine to a single quad.

Hmm. Even DATHeader doesn't seem to work on this particular combination of triangles.
(2020-02-17, 23:59)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Hmm. Even DATHeader doesn't seem to work on this particular combination of triangles.
Simplifying this implies to delete middle vertex, something most tools won't do. The only tool I know that can remove this extraneous vertex is LDPE MeshReducer (tools->meshreducer). Then any version of rectifier will be able to create a quad (or you can do "manual" triangle merge). Sorry, should have thought of this tool for your diamond pattern... but your mileage with it may vary!!!
(2020-02-18, 13:00)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Simplifying this implies to delete middle vertex, something most tools won't do. The only tool I know that can remove this extraneous vertex is LDPE MeshReducer (tools->meshreducer). Then any version of rectifier will be able to create a quad (or you can do "manual" triangle merge). Sorry, should have thought of this tool for your diamond pattern... but your mileage with it may vary!!!

No biggie. I just merged the middle vertex to create two triangles and then DAT header did the rest. It really wasn't a huge time sink.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »