Split surface on line

Split surface on line
I'm sure there's a simple way to do this but I don't know how in LDPE:

How do I split the quads and triangles along the bottom green line?
RE: Split surface on line
(2020-01-23, 16:09)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I'm sure there's a simple way to do this but I don't know how in LDPE:
How do I split the quads and triangles along the bottom green line?
Not so simple... Since the green line seems parallel to main axis, you could possibly use symsplitter with "cut across the plane". But resulting triangulation is not so good...
What I would do would be to create intersection vertices between the edge lines around blue surfaces and green line (slanted x icon in toolbar) and rebuild things from there.
(2020-01-23, 16:58)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: What I would do would be to create intersection vertices between the edge lines around blue surfaces and green line (slanted x icon in toolbar) and rebuild things from there.

I would turn the green line into a surface and use Isecalc to get all the intersecting vertices, as edge lines, in one go.
Much faster than selecting two edgelines, to get one vertex, and then selecting another set of edgelines to get a second vertex, and so on...
Add new surfaces. Remove old surfaces and then maybe the edgelines, if you dont want to keep them as new edgelines, around the blue surface.
(2020-01-23, 18:04)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I would turn the green line into a surface and use Isecalc to get all the intersecting vertices, as edge lines, in one go.
Yes, tha's a good method too, but...
Quote:Much faster than selecting two edgelines, to get one vertex, and then selecting another set of edgelines to get a second vertex, and so on...
...you can select all concerned lines (with a marquee) in one operation and get all vertices at once when pressing intersection icon!
(2020-01-23, 18:59)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Yes, tha's a good method too, but...
...you can select all concerned lines (with a marquee) in one operation and get all vertices at once when pressing intersection icon!

Thanks guys. I guess my brain isn't as broken today as I thought.

I think Magnus's method will work better for me since there are 14 more areas on the pattern where I have to do this and drawing new lines for all that will be tedious.
(2020-01-23, 20:47)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I think Magnus's method will work better for me since there are 14 more areas on the pattern where I have to do this and drawing new lines for all that will be tedious.
Couldn't you create one then duplicate/translate? (Multiple copies in translate tool)
(2020-01-23, 20:56)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Couldn't you create one then duplicate/translate? (Multiple copies in translate tool)

Yes, if I was breaking apart the pattern in a consistent place every time but I'm not. Also, I'm going to make a variant of this pattern later and I have to cut a hole in the middle of the pattern so this helps for that as well.
Why don't you use LDPC to cut it?
(2020-01-23, 23:44)Gerald Lasser Wrote: Why don't you use LDPC to cut it?

I didn't consider that, not that I know how to do that there either. I'm already 75% done so it won't help with this project but I'd like to know for the future.
(2020-01-23, 16:09)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I'm sure there's a simple way to do this but I don't know how in LDPE:

This tool by Lasse is pretty good at printing patterns, once you figure out how to manipulate the shape:

https://c-mt.dk/software/pf/

But the result still need some afterwards cleaning.
(2020-01-27, 22:22)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: This tool by Lasse is pretty good at printing patterns, once you figure out how to manipulate the shape:
https://c-mt.dk/software/pf/
But the result still need some afterwards cleaning.
Thanks for the reminder, forgot about this one!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »