Using the AIOI ?

Using the AIOI ?
How do I use the AIOI so that I get full access to the parts folder?
As a part author I have to have access them, and maybe a model maker does not.

If I understand the installer correct it will place all files in the ../Program Files(x86)-folder, but I dont want that.
I want to have all the program that needs to be there, but not my parts libraries.

When I upgraded my old Win7 to Win10 some years ago I ran into all sorts of problems with not being able to edit and save anything in the Program Files-folder. Therefor I had to uninstall the AIOI, and tried to place everything somewhere else but still had lots of trouble handling my files.

I now have a new PC and want to use the AOIO but I don't know where to direct the installer so that I have full access to all the files.

Does any of the software have to be in the Program Files(x86)-folder? Which one?
Where should I install the rest of the software?
Why do the AIOI auto-direct me to the Program Files(x86)-folder?
Is it possible to set up the installer so that it installs into more than one folder? Do I want to do that? How do I do that?

Is it possible, or even prefered, to have all the software in the same folder? Where should that one be placed?
Directly under C:\
Or in another folder? Maybe in C:\Users\Default\Documents\  ?
Is there a difference between having it in the Default / Public / Magnus -folders?
RE: Using the AIOI ?
(2019-12-22, 14:23)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: How do I use the AIOI so that I get full access to the parts folder?
I think the current aioi places the parts in the public documents folder.

But if you are concerned about locations etc, you could also just install all the needed tools separately.
Hmmm..

For me personally, it is also incomprehensible that the installation should take place on C: /.
In my case it is E: / ldraw with its own partition.
And it contains all the programs, as well as the parts and model libraries ... pretty neat and clear.

Here are some arguments and their technical justification:

Generally it is not recommended to have installations on C: /.
The system should only be there and nothing else.
Because if the hard disk is dead, everything important is dead too.

* Back up the system (ideally on an SSD) regularly on a fast 64gb USB stick, because this is often forgotten:
SSD hard drives will die without any notice, unlike an HDD.
Which is mostly because the controller has said goodbye.
* As a precaution, 240 GB capacity is recommended, which is justified because the system size grows over time, but also allows other systems to be installed in parallel. (partitioned accordingly)
* On a second SSD (that would be D: /) organize the personal folders and various computer utilities.
* Additional hard disk (E: / ect.) Or more only for data and programs ... also partitioned according to personal needs.
* Even an external hard drive for backup.
(It would be optimal, of course, but costly to set up the whole thing redundantly.)

* Therefore, an installation by hand with administrator rights (to avoid write problems) is advisable and the paths set up accordingly.

* Not to forget that these path details must also be changed accordingly in the configuration files of the respective programs, which can be found under "C: / user / magnus / appdata / roaming / .. xyz ...".

A bit fiddly, but ultimately a thankful affair.

by the way: You only get MlCad 3.51 from Willy ....(exclusive)

Uli
(2019-12-23, 9:05)Ulrich Röder Wrote: by the way: You only get MlCad 3.51 from Willy ....(exclusive)

I tried to see if we could release a standalone but Willy wasn't sure and said he'd ask Michael. I subsequently forgot about the issue and didn't follow up.
(2019-12-23, 9:05)Ulrich Röder Wrote: * Back up the system (ideally on an SSD) regularly on a fast 64gb USB stick, because this is often forgotten:
SSD hard drives will die without any notice, unlike an HDD.
Which is mostly because the controller has said goodbye.
* As a precaution, 240 GB capacity is recommended, which is justified because the system size grows over time, but also allows other systems to be installed in parallel. (partitioned accordingly)
* On a second SSD (that would be D: /) organize the personal folders and various computer utilities.
* Additional hard disk (E: / ect.) Or more only for data and programs ... also partitioned according to personal needs.
* Even an external hard drive for backup.
(It would be optimal, of course, but costly to set up the whole thing redundantly.)

Might be a bridge too far for your average user Smile

I would recommend to put any files you generate yourself in a single place (e.g my documents or d:\) and just run a rsync like tool now and then to copy it to an external drive

And if you're on Linux, it's really easy to set up RAID1 (md) or use btrfs (better for ssd's) in raid1 mode for your really important stuff.

Still make backups though.
(2019-12-23, 15:15)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I tried to see if we could release a standalone but Willy wasn't sure and said he'd ask Michael. I subsequently forgot about the issue and didn't follow up.
Actually Greg988 on Eurobricks found that MLCad 3.51 is on Michael website: http://mlcad.lm-software.com/MLCad_V3.51.zip
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »