LDCad Flex object bug report

LDCad Flex object bug report
I'm getting an odd error when I edit my custom flex axle  in a certain way. Attached is a test case file.

Step to reproduce:
- Open test.ldr
- Enter nested mode
- Click on either control point
- Hit Ctrl-R to enter rotation
- Enter an arbitrary number into the rotation field
- Hit accept and notice odd output

Attached Files
.ldr   test.ldr (Size: 76.25 KB / Downloads: 2)
RE: LDCad Flex object bug report
(2019-04-29, 20:28)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I'm getting an odd error when I edit my custom flex axle  in a certain way.

That's because the caps are scaled, LDCad assumes all matrices are non scaled and non mirrored.

This so position and rotation can be uniformly manipulated during editing.

The solution is to move the caps into a donor and checking the caps using them inline option.

That way you can also add snapping info to the caps.

I attached the donor and template I just made for 1.6c.

Place ldcFlexAxleCap.dat  in %appdata%\LDCad\donors

Attached Files
.zip   newFlexAxle.zip (Size: 1.01 KB / Downloads: 5)
(2019-04-29, 20:45)Roland Melkert Wrote: That's because the caps are scaled, LDCad assumes all matrices are non scaled and non mirrored.

This so position and rotation can be uniformly manipulated during editing.

The solution is to move the caps into a donor and checking the caps using them inline option.

That way you can also add snapping info to the caps.

I attached the donor and template I just made for 1.6c.

Place ldcFlexAxleCap.dat  in %appdata%\LDCad\donors

Ok.  The odd thing is this doesn't happen when rotating with the edit pin or rotating a group of parts with the primary part not the control point.
Is this due to that those flex-hoses use a stud3a-prim, instead of a cyli?

Is there today a good reason to keep the design of those flex-hoses?
They all seam to have a very unconventional design, producing a lot of triangles to render.
The cross axle in the longest hose, 32235, is made using the axlehol8 primitive  75  times.
(2019-04-29, 21:02)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Is this due to that those flex-hoses use a stud3a-prim, instead of a cyli?

Is there today a good reason to keep the design of those flex-hoses?
They all seam to have a very unconventional design, producing a lot of triangles to render.
The cross axle in the longest hose, 32235, is made using the axlehol8 primitive  75  times.
If we get some sort of flex object standard in place then we can switch over to using that instead of how we do it now.
(2019-04-29, 20:57)Orion Pobursky Wrote: The odd thing is this doesn't happen when rotating with the edit pin or rotating a group of parts with the primary part not the control point.

I'll have to dive in the source to explain that in detail but the main difference is one applying a new absolute matrix while the pin applies a relative one.

The matrix math involved is open for many improvements as seen here Smile
(2019-04-29, 21:02)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Is there today a good reason to keep the design of those flex-hoses?

In a template small segments help the quality of the bend, but I see no reason to use 75 segments in the static official library part version.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »