Help a Newbie combine multiple pre-existing models $25 reward

Help a Newbie combine multiple pre-existing models $25 reward
I have created several huge models (10,000+ bricks) using Lego Digital Designer. I have converted those files to .ldr files and can open them individually in LDraw. 

Here is where i need help. I want to combine many of these HUGE models into one Epic File.  In case you are wondering, i am creating a model of our hometown and am building the sections in Lego Digital Designer. However LDD will not allow me to have more than one of these behemoths in one file. it will crash if i try to combine. 

that is where i am hoping LDraw can Help me out. IS THIS POSSIBLE?

If so would someone be willing to walk me through the process. I have tried for several hours on my own but i am new to the LDraw and and unable to fine the magic command. I think it has something to do with sub-models but have not been able to import my existing models as a sub-model in a .mpd file

I will offer a $25 reward via PayPal for help with this. Awarded to the person with the clearest instructions. 

i have attached two of my large sections as attachements in case you where wondering what i am working with.

Thank you.

kevin

Attached Files
.ldr   viking mart.ldr (Size: 374.15 KB / Downloads: 6)
.ldr   Stop and Sea Fish stand.ldr (Size: 202.41 KB / Downloads: 5)
RE: Help a Newbie combine multiple pre-existing models $25 reward
Kevin,

keep your money as I don't have a Painpal account. I have written a tutorial on .mpd for the no longer updated MLCad, but this hopefully makes you understand the concept - the process is similar in the much better LDCad prog:

http://www.holly-wood.it/mlcad/advanced3...t_document

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Attached is a (quite rudimentary) combined model. No need to pay  Wink
I opened both of the files in LDCad and then copied them over the a third, combined, model. Not sure if I did it in the most efficient way (I thought there was a simple import button in LDCad, but couldn't find it?), but it works so...

Attached Files
.mpd   combined model.mpd (Size: 331.59 KB / Downloads: 3)
The easiest way in my eyes: Take a modelling programme for the LDraw System: LDCad or MLCad or whatever. Start a new Model, add two (or more) submodels to this model in the modelling programme and save this file. Open this file in a plain text editor (or LD Design Pad) and copy your files to areas of the separate subfiles. That's it.

If you have understand how the file structure for models and submodels is, you can even do this without the first steps and copy your files directly into a new one and reference them by hand in the text editor.

Moving the subfiles around can be done easily in the modelling programme.

/Max
(2018-12-10, 8:07)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: Attached is a (quite rudimentary) combined model. No need to pay  Wink
I opened both of the files in LDCad and then copied them over the a third, combined, model. Not sure if I did it in the most efficient way (I thought there was a simple import button in LDCad, but couldn't find it?), but it works so...

Working with these kinds of huge scenes is usually faster when they are not embedded in a single mpd.

Taken this into account I would advise to keep the original files as is and only create a new"village.ldr" which will serve as the root of the complete model.

This way you can easily open just the part you currently working on and it will allow for much faster loading of the whole thing as loose files can be loaded in parallel.

To make a loose main file in LDCad, do this:

open one of the loose ones.
Start a new model.
Disable part snapping, because models on models is extremely slow.
use SHIFT+INS to add the last used model (the loaded one) to the current model (the new one).
Place it somewhere.
Open the second model.
Press END (go to previous model)
Use SHIFT+INS again.
Repeat for any other models.
Save the new main model in the same place as the loose ones.

You can enable part snapping again if you want to add loose bricks to the scene again.
> Taken this into account I would advise to keep the original files as is and only create a new"village.ldr" which will serve as the root of the complete model.

+1
Thank you all for your advice.  my understanding of this is begging to come together. Someone please name your favorite charity and i will donate the $25 to show my gratitude. 

My newest obstacle:  some of the blocks i used in Lego designer are not carried over to LCad. How do i get those blocks into LCad. Keep in mind i am a novice. 

I have included two files, on is lego designer the other is the LCad file and you will notice all the walls to the one building are missing. 

Thanks again everybody.

kevin

Attached Files
.ldr   dollar general enlarged.ldr (Size: 477.63 KB / Downloads: 2)
.lxf   dollar general enlarged.lxf (Size: 167.86 KB / Downloads: 1)
Hi Kevin,

first question: did you download the latest LDD/LDraw conversion file first:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.p...sion-file/

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2018-12-20, 19:22)Willy Tschager Wrote: Hi Kevin,

first question: did you download the latest LDD/LDraw conversion file first:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.p...sion-file/

w.

thank you, that seems to have done the trick!!   I appreciate the help. if you have a favorite charity let  me know  Smile

i had held off doing that prior cause i didnt want to mess anything up by over-righting an old file on to a newer one. 

kevin
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »