LDCad Braided String donor

Braided String donor
I've done a string and modified its path to suit my needs (top part). Is there any way to add a donor so that the path would look like the braided string (bottom part)? 

I have tried to add LS61.dat or 572b.dat but I get funny results with the donor rotate 90º.

[Image: uWkJVye.png]

I've added the file for reference.

example.mpd
RE: Braided String donor
(2021-01-17, 13:57)Miguel Reizinho Wrote: I've done a string and modified its path to suit my needs (top part). Is there any way to add a donor so that the path would look like the braided string (bottom part)? 

I have tried to add LS61.dat or 572b.dat but I get funny results with the donor rotate 90º.

[Image: uWkJVye.png]

I've added the file for reference.

example.mpd

Have you tried LS60? It's a single segment of LS61 and what I use for braided strings. Otherwise, you could construct a shorter chunk of 572b without too much trouble.
(2021-01-17, 14:32)N. W. Perry Wrote: Have you tried LS60? It's a single segment of LS61 and what I use for braided strings. Otherwise, you could construct a shorter chunk of 572b without too much trouble.

Same thing: it's rotated 90º along the path BUT at least it doesn't expand to the sides.
(2021-01-17, 17:56)Miguel Reizinho Wrote: Same thing: it's rotated 90º along the path BUT at least it doesn't expand to the sides.

OK. That can be fixed just using the rotation matrix. Try:

Code:
x: 1  0  0
y: 0  0 -1
z: 0  1  0
(2021-01-17, 20:59)N. W. Perry Wrote: OK. That can be fixed just using the rotation matrix.

This segment is also longer, so you won't be able to make sharp bends.

Best solution would be to split this donor into multiple ones.

Also be sure to keep the red and blue path point arrows in similar orientations along the path (like a spine) or you'll get some weird additional jumps etc.

And finally make sure the control spheres don't go past the next point on the path.
(2021-01-17, 20:59)N. W. Perry Wrote: OK. That can be fixed just using the rotation matrix. Try:

Code:
x: 1  0  0
y: 0  0 -1
z: 0  1  0

That did the trick! Thank you!

[Image: KGfF0i0.png]

Although stud.io doesn't find it amusing... Big Grin

[Image: 2QMFGHZ.png]
(2021-01-18, 17:17)Miguel Reizinho Wrote: Although stud.io doesn't find it amusing... Big Grin

Yeah, Studio doesn't automatically know where the LSynth donor parts live. I've got a copy of them in my custom parts directory.

Also, if you want the string to be all one color, you can create a copy of LS60.dat and change all of the lines to color 16. (As it is, half of them are hard-coded dark gray.)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »