Persistent forum logins gone?

Persistent forum logins gone?
Did someone recently change cookies from expiring on a certain date to lasting for one browser session?

I'm pretty sure its not just my browser because four browsers across two systems all report the forum login cookie being valid only for the current login session, whereas before they were set to expire at a set date far (I forget exactly when) in the future, while those same browsers also have cookies that were set a long time ago and will be valid for a long time, and I haven't changed settings on any of those four (different) browsers recently. So I'm pretty sure a setting was changed in the forum software.

If I am mistaken and I am the only one exhibiting this behavior, then please excuse me and ignore this post. If not, I would appreciate it if we could still have persistent logins back, even if the cookies expire sooner.

If it is a question of security (people stealing cookies from logins on public computers, and then impersonating us on the forums), then perhaps could we have an option when logging in to set the duration of the session?
Re: Persistent forum logins gone?
I've had to sign in twice today as well. I figured it was something on my end like I forgot that I'd logged out, but perhaps something is up.
No, we're gearing up for a changeover in the main LDraw.org website. In order to do this, we're switching the PT to use the forum log in system. As a result, I've temporarily (about a week) set the cookie duration to a really short value to ensure everyone's cookies expire and then I'll set it back.

Maybe it's too short. I've set the expire time to 1 day.
I would find it very interesting if you could create a topic here in the forum
where you let us know the progress of the ldraw.org site freshup,
like some small blog. For example the switchover of the login etc.
is quite interesting, and this way the users can follow the site changes.
I think the relaunch of the PT site software will bring us a lot of fresh energy.
I'm just curious.
You can watch at beta.ldraw.org.

And just to be clear: the PT software is not changing just the main site CMS.
If you do check it out please be aware that the look will jump around quite a bit and may break at times. I'm already aware of one problem at the JJMA page that, sadly, I've not worked out how to fix.
Orion is right, the Parts Tracker software is not changing - only its method of authentication. Although I'd like to make some minor changes to the page layout and design to make the application easier to manage - basically a clearer separation of style and content to make better use of CSS.
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
Just as a heads-up, I'm now not unable to log in at all in Firefox. Login still works in Chrome and IE, though, so I'm not sure it's a problem with the forum. It could be a problem with one of my Firefox extensions.
It's probably cookie problem. If you know how to delete specific cookies (which you probably do) just delete all the ldraw.org ones and you should be good to go.
You seem to be correct. Oddly enough, it appears that the postnuke cookie was the one causing the problems, not the phorum one.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »