Photo 
Hello everybody,

Inspired by some pictures ,

Lanz Bulldog

Lanz Eilbulldog

and also read some requests of various users in some forums,

I made myself some thoughts about create part 6578.dat in this unusual kind:

Parts

Is it a good idea to put such parts together in a new "special" section on the tracker?
RE: Unusually used parts on partstracker?
Hi Ulrich,

welcome to the forums. I do not fully understand what your question is. What do you mean with "special".

The tyres look fine. Are those modeled according to official parts?

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2018-08-17, 16:35)Willy Tschager Wrote: Hi Ulrich,

welcome to the forums. I do not fully understand what your question is. What do you mean with "special".

The tyres look fine. Are those modeled according to official parts?

w.

Hi Willy,

and thank you!

Why special? .....the material is Gum...and for that...the original shape of this part is not given anymore in this case.

Is this generally allowed in partsauthoring?

I´m not quite shure about : "according to official parts". The original "Standard Outfit" of 6578.dat, which is well done by Phillip in this way, can´t be used

for stretching and pressing it into this unusual shape.

So I tried to make it in a different way - created in Cinema4D and refined with several ldraw-tools - and  uploaded them in Brickshelf:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=574403

please , have a look at the files...

...and what could be the best nomenclature?

UR
Is this even a real part?
A part made from a third party custom manufacturer, or is it a user adapted custom file?
(2018-08-18, 16:38)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Is this even a real part?
A part made from a third party custom manufacturer, or is it a user adapted custom file?

Hello Magnus,

It is an original part..... user adapted.

Here it is in original shape -- >https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/cat...8#T=C&C=11

Uli
Oh, I see.
It is a heavily deformed and reshaped real lego part.
Here is another variant of how to use part 6578 in an unusual way.

As long as the description (and the !HELP meta) gives some clues how to use it I'm fine with it.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2018-08-18, 17:59)Ulrich Röder Wrote:
(2018-08-18, 16:38)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Is this even a real part?

Hello Magnus,

Here it is in original shape -- >https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/cat...8#T=C&C=11

Uli

What do you mean by 'user adapted'? Did you cut the original part to make a narrow tyre?
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
(2018-08-18, 20:28)Chris Dee Wrote:
(2018-08-18, 17:59)Ulrich Röder Wrote: Hello Magnus,

Uli

What do you mean by 'user adapted'? Did you cut the original part to make a narrow tyre?

Hi Chris,

No...I didn´t use the original dat file in this way, but oriented me to its proportions.
(2018-08-18, 20:28)Chris Dee Wrote: What do you mean by 'user adapted'? Did you cut the original part to make a narrow tyre?

If you look carefully at all the pictures, you will see that he's simply making use of the natural flexibility (and stretchiness) of the rubber of the part. So the outer tread becomes sidewalls, while the inner tread becomes the entire tread.
(2018-08-19, 1:27).Ulrich Röder Wrote:
(2018-08-18, 20:28)Chris Dee Wrote: What do you mean by 'user adapted'? Did you cut the original part to make a narrow tyre?

Hi Chris,

No...I didn´t use the original dat file in this way, but oriented me to its proportions.

OK - I understand now. This can be submitted as 6578c01.dat, with a description something like 'Tyre 14/ 36 x 20 VR (Deformed to XX/YYY x 20)', where XX and YYY are the new width (in mm) and new profile as a %age of the width. Any subparts should be named 6578c01s01.dat,  6578c01s02.dat, etc.
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
I suggest that the tires are submitted along with the wheel it was fitted around, say "2470 - Wheel Wagon Small (27mm D.)" to make it clear how it was deformed.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »