Interesting build technique in Voltron set

Interesting build technique in Voltron set
Take a look at step 45 here:

[Image: z9gjs7Q.jpg]

Notice in particular the use of two red 1x2 plates underneath the 2x2 plate, instead of simply stacking two 2x2 plates on top of each other. As far as I can tell, this is done because there are only two studs underneath, and the 1x2 plate has more grip than half a 2x2 plate. I don't think I've seen that done in any official LEGO sets that I have put together in the past.

The grip above the 1x2 plate (onto the underside of the 2x2 plate) would be the same as if two 2x2 plates were stacked, but I think the presence of the second 1x2 plate, and the fact that that is up a bit higher, makes it so that the whole bit that is added in step 45 is less likely to come off.

Do you think that is why it's built this way?
RE: Interesting build technique in Voltron set
(2018-08-01, 5:33)Travis Cobbs Wrote: Do you think that is why it's built this way?
I don't think that clutch power is so different. imho it's rather to allow one of the alternate builds, eg. [Image: 21311_BI_01.jpg]
(2018-08-02, 7:29)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2018-08-01, 5:33)Travis Cobbs Wrote: Do you think that is why it's built this way?
I don't think that clutch power is so different. imho it's rather to allow one of the alternate builds, eg.

I don't understand what you mean by "alternate builds".
(2018-08-02, 20:16)Travis Cobbs Wrote:
(2018-08-02, 7:29)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: I don't think that clutch power is so different. imho it's rather to allow one of the alternate builds, eg.

I don't understand what you mean by "alternate builds".

I think Philippe means a "B" Modell.
If nothing goes right, go left.
(2018-08-02, 20:40)Johann Eisner Wrote:
(2018-08-02, 20:16)Travis Cobbs Wrote: I don't understand what you mean by "alternate builds".

I think Philippe means a "B" Modell.

I don't think Ideas sets have "B" models.
(2018-08-03, 2:08)Travis Cobbs Wrote:
(2018-08-02, 20:40)Johann Eisner Wrote: I think Philippe means a "B" Modell.

I don't think Ideas sets have "B" models.
Looks like it does in this case... This cyborg dog comes from s@h website!
The Voltron is made of five sub-models. The big mech can be divided and reconfigured into five smaller Lions. There is no rebuilding involved. You only have to divide it into five, and fold out the legs of the lions.

They are not "alternative" B-models. The picture shows the biggest of the five lions, made of a reconfigured torso.
(2018-08-03, 12:30)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: The Voltron is made of five sub-models. The big mech can be divided and reconfigured into five smaller Lions. There is no rebuilding involved. You only have to divide it into five, and fold out the legs of the lions.

They are not "alternative" B-models. The picture shows the biggest of the five lions, made of a reconfigured torso.
OK, I stand corrected Wink Still doubt that clutch poser is the real cause for this weird assembly / bill of material, but...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »