Heads?

Heads?
Can anyone suggest how to compile a list of LDraw's minifig heads, but only in the colors they were manufactured in? Thanks.
RE: Heads?
(2018-06-01, 0:37)Michael Horvath Wrote: Can anyone suggest how to compile a list of LDraw's minifig heads, but only in the colors they were manufactured in? Thanks.

In my opinion a proper list of Minifig Heads (Torsi, Legs/Hips Assemblies) should include pretty much all the 'main' numbring schemes around. To me that is the Lego/Brickset Reference, the Bricklink number and last but not least the LDraw number.

The sheer number of printed parts makes it difficult to cross reference and distinguish them easily. 

As I wrote in this thread, I started to photograph all my heads (and want to take pics of the torsi/legs as well) to increas the number of available heads in the library and make more recent patterns available. So far I have done around 60 of those. 

What I would like to have in such a Database is also the colors used in the prints.

I did inlcude the CMDLINE for the color the head usually appears. That is pretty much a 1:1 relation, i.e. there are not many patterns that appear on different coloured 3626 variants (apart from the  standard grin) Also the variety between open and closed studs is something we need to take care in the library concerning the numbering scheme.
I created a model several years ago, but I can't remember how I knew to pick the correct colors.
Do you have a spreadsheet with a record of your investigations?
I did a test render and the heads don't look so good. I exported the model from LDView, and am using LGEO parts. There are smooth primitives and jagged primitives. Any suggestions on how to improve this?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(2019-06-19, 7:45)Michael Horvath Wrote: I did a test render and the heads don't look so good. I exported the model from LDView, and am using LGEO parts. There are smooth primitives and jagged primitives. Any suggestions on how to improve this?
The only way to make them hq while using LGEO parts is to redo them all using textures.

This because the problem lies in the mixture of LGEO and face pattern geometry.
(2019-06-19, 18:02)Roland Melkert Wrote: The only way to make them hq while using LGEO parts is to redo them all using textures.

This because the problem lies in the mixture of LGEO and face pattern geometry.

While it would be a huge project, I wouldn’t be opposed to creating a texture for every head and fast-tracking a texture meta add. .
(2019-06-19, 18:25)Orion Pobursky Wrote: While it would be a huge project, I wouldn’t be opposed to creating a texture for every head and fast-tracking a texture meta add. .

Would be nice, but I'm a bit concerned about the colors as they would become static.

off topic:
I have been thinking about introducing support for palette-ed png's so we could use the LDConcifg colors inside png's (including #16). This would require shaders or temporary RBG-png generation during rendering though but the possibilities are endless.
(2019-06-19, 19:20)Roland Melkert Wrote: off topic:
I have been thinking about introducing support for palette-ed png's so we could use the LDConcifg colors inside png's (including #16). This would require shaders or temporary RBG-png generation during rendering though but the possibilities are endless.
Interesting idea... would this help with metallic colors that can't be properly texmapped today?
(2019-06-19, 19:20)Roland Melkert Wrote: Would be nice, but I'm a bit concerned about the colors as they would become static.

off topic:

It might be nice to use SVG instead of PNG, though that might kill performance. (There's no hardware acceleration for SVG, AFAIK.)
(2019-06-20, 5:43)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Interesting idea... would this help with metallic colors that can't be properly texmapped today?
Yes because you could use the same shader code for calculating the pixel colors as with solid triangles.

Only difference would be instead of using a static color per triangle (uniform) you would lookup the color per texture pixel.
(2019-06-20, 20:17)Roland Melkert Wrote: Yes because you could use the same shader code for calculating the pixel colors as with solid triangles.

Only difference would be instead of using a static color per triangle (uniform) you would lookup the color per texture pixel.

How big do the textures need to be in order to achieve good results?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »