available colours of Lego parts in LDcad

available colours of Lego parts in LDcad
Hi

Maybe this is a very beginner question  Rolleyes but LDcad offers me a variety of colours for every brick. This is nice because it gives freedom for designing models but I always ask myself whether a specific brick is available in a specific colour. I remember that MLcad offered only some colours depending on the part.

Is there an easy way in LDcad to see/switch to the fabricated colours?

Regards
Joscha
RE: available colours of Lego parts in LDcad
(2018-03-21, 9:15)Joscha Wrote: Is there an easy way in LDcad to see/switch to the fabricated colours?

There is currently no filter on colors based on the current (selected) part or something like that.

However this is a feature I'm considering for 2.0

I don't remember MLCad offering this option though, it would need some sort of reference db so if mlcad has/had this feature it might be vastly out of date by now.
Pretty sure MLCad doesn't have this function, AFAIK LDD is the only CAD editor able to do that (maybe stud.io does too?)
(2018-03-21, 21:11)Roland Melkert Wrote:
(2018-03-21, 9:15)Joscha Wrote: Is there an easy way in LDcad to see/switch to the fabricated colours?

There is currently no filter on colors based on the current (selected) part or something like that.

However this is a feature I'm considering for 2.0

I don't remember MLCad offering this option though, it would need some sort of reference db so if mlcad has/had this feature it might be vastly out of date by now.

You and Philippe are right. I tried to find out what I was thinking about MLcad but w/o success. Maybe at that time when I started using MLcad I misunderstood the colour table as the colours in which the part was ever manufactured.

But what does it mean practically? Do I have to go for an internet search to find out which colours are available for a specific part?
(2018-03-22, 14:09)Joscha Wrote: But what does it mean practically? Do I have to go for an internet search to find out which colours are available for a specific part?

There are the 'physical color' parts but that subset of the library has been abandoned as far I understand it.

In general I think most people using LDraw know which colors parts come in from experience.
(2018-03-22, 22:33)Roland Melkert Wrote: There are the 'physical color' parts but that subset of the library has been abandoned as far I understand it.

In general I think most people using LDraw know which colors parts come in from experience.

Pragmatically said: maintaining such a database is a huge task, not a "night hobby of one person". So a chance there is such a project on internet but we do not know about it is, approximately, zero. For this reason we have only two options: connect to someone big having such a database (Bricklink, LEGO) or not to have this feature.
(2018-03-22, 22:33)Roland Melkert Wrote: In general I think most people using LDraw know which colors parts come in from experience.

I was afraid that you will say this. Unfortunately my experience of brick colours is from about 30 years ago. I know axles are black, pins w/o friction are grey and pins w/ friction are black. Then there are blue, white, grey and black bricks Big Grin  That's it.

But it's not a big thing. It would have been nice though to have this information available right away. But I understand that this is a huge task and maybe not worth it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »