30298 Windscreen 10 x 14 x 2 2/3 Roll Cage (missing?)

30298 Windscreen 10 x 14 x 2 2/3 Roll Cage (missing?)
I was looking at some Rock Raiders sets for 3D modeling and was a bit surprised to find out that this part doesn't exist.

[Image: 30298.1082915871.jpg]

However, on BrickLink, this image is posted:

[Image: 30298.png]

Which appears to be a digital render of the part. I have contacted the uploader of the image, but he said that he got that image from the LDraw parts library......but the part's not there. At least not now. That image was posted ~16 years ago (shortly after Rock Raiders was actually around).

I've searched high and low, but I can't find the part. The other Rock Raiders parts are there, including 30299, the cockpit that fits this roll cage. But for some reason, this one part isn't.

If anyone could find this part (if it exists), or would be able to make it, that would be awesome.

Thanks!
Stephen
RE: 30298 Windscreen 10 x 14 x 2 2/3 Roll Cage (missing?)
I guess it could be done using this rather good image but it's still a pretty tough job!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mock-up here:

http://www.geocities.ws/pneaster/lego_todo.html

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2017-04-24, 11:37)Willy Tschager Wrote: Mock-up here:

http://www.geocities.ws/pneaster/lego_todo.html

w.

I found that, but it isn't really suited for 3D modeling, only for building the models.

(2017-04-24, 7:47)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: I guess it could be done using this rather good image but it's still a pretty tough job!

While the geometry for the clips could be borrowed from other parts, and the cockpit piece would be a good reference for the base, the rest of it is rather tough. Were it more geometric, I would have little problem modeling the part myself, but the bars, particularly the 6-bar intersection on the top corners, are a bit much for me.

I just found it odd that the model seems to have been available at one point, but hasn't been for some time. The fact that the other Rock Raiders parts are available is also slightly puzzling.
(2017-04-24, 11:52)Stephen Wilkins Wrote: I just found it odd that the model seems to have been available at one point, but hasn't been for some time. The fact that the other Rock Raiders parts are available is also slightly puzzling.

The Bricklink image is pretty small. It might well be a picture from the mockup.
(2017-04-25, 2:27)Travis Cobbs Wrote:
(2017-04-24, 11:52)Stephen Wilkins Wrote: I just found it odd that the model seems to have been available at one point, but hasn't been for some time. The fact that the other Rock Raiders parts are available is also slightly puzzling.

The Bricklink image is pretty small. It might well be a picture from the mockup.

That's fair, but the uploader did indicate that he made the image from the LDraw parts distribution. He thought it was odd that the part wasn't there anymore, asking if parts were removed from the distribution. Unless the mock-up was added at one point, but removed as it wasn't a finished part?
(2017-04-25, 4:22)Stephen Wilkins Wrote:
(2017-04-25, 2:27)Travis Cobbs Wrote: The Bricklink image is pretty small. It might well be a picture from the mockup.

That's fair, but the uploader did indicate that he made the image from the LDraw parts distribution. He thought it was odd that the part wasn't there anymore, asking if parts were removed from the distribution. Unless the mock-up was added at one point, but removed as it wasn't a finished part?

If I had to guess, the uploader added the mockup to his own LDraw library, and subsequently thought it was an official part.
Started to work on this one. But don't hold your breath!
(2017-05-10, 18:44)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Started to work on this one. But don't hold your breath!

Thanks so much!
I think I have this part somewhere in my collection at home - I can provide pictures/measurements in a couple days if you need any.
(2017-05-10, 20:50)Stephen Wilkins Wrote:
(2017-05-10, 18:44)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Started to work on this one. But don't hold your breath!

Thanks so much!
I think I have this part somewhere in my collection at home - I can provide pictures/measurements in a couple days if you need any.
Between the mockup and photo I found, should be OK. A closeup from bottom (or even better a scan of part wih a flat bed scanner) would be great nonetheless.
(2017-05-11, 6:48)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2017-05-10, 20:50)Stephen Wilkins Wrote: Thanks so much!
Between the mockup and photo I found, should be OK. A closeup from bottom (or even better a scan of part wih a flat bed scanner) would be great nonetheless.
Definitely I need closeup photos of bottom of part, showing how the beams join...
(2017-05-12, 18:25)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2017-05-11, 6:48)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Between the mockup and photo I found, should be OK. A closeup from bottom (or even better a scan of part wih a flat bed scanner) would be great nonetheless.
Definitely I need closeup photos of bottom of part, showing how the beams join...

Here you go

[Image: XhNshbE.jpg]

[Image: EYEjLLc.jpg]

A couple more images are here
Let me know if you need anything else!
Perfect, thanks!
Phew! Tongue  This one was tough...

http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg.../30298.dat
(2017-05-14, 18:21)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Phew! Tongue  This one was tough...

http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg.../30298.dat

Looks great, thank you!

Would you mind if I did a few touch-ups on the model? I just noticed a few things that are a bit different from the brick (mainly a couple hinge-snaps are missing, and a few of the bars on the 6-bar junction should have asymmetrically thick sides).
Oops, used wrong hinge primitive... corrected now! http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg...298s01.dat

Yes, you can make other improvements - Not sure what you mean exactly, I'll understand after I see your changes Wink
(2017-05-15, 7:04)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Oops, used wrong hinge primitive... corrected now! http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg...298s01.dat

Yes, you can make other improvements - Not sure what you mean exactly, I'll understand after I see your changes Wink

Awesome, I didn't really want to correct that part Tongue

What I was talking about is that most of the bars are not cut cylinders. The bars that run front-back (from the studs to the front) look like the inside and outside are made by joining two different curves (inside being a quarter-circle, and the outside looking like a quarter-ellipse).
Also, the bars that make up the middle triangle on the sides have the outside edges thicker (longer?) on the underside than the inside edges (second image, more visible on the bottom portion of photo). The front-back bars also have thicker edges on the outside.

I'll try to make the changes myself, as I know you already put effort into making this one and I don't want to keep nitpicking you because of my desire to make this super accurate (that, and having the part makes it easier to see the small things like this).

I really do appreciate the work you've done!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »