LDCad 1.6 Beta 2a (win+linux)

LDCad 1.6 Beta 2a (win+linux)
I've release Beta 2a of LDCad 1.6

It mainly fixes a potential crash related to the header dialog combined with generated parts.

To make it worth the download I've also applied some spelling fixes, (very) minor tweaks and added some new part snapping info.

And I added the 8860 example including its animation as shown here:
https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-22081.html

Do note playback at 25fps might be to slow on some older (laptop) machines .

As of this version I've taken all the older versions except the latest major ones offline, as stupid robots (I assume they are robots) keep downloading every single file on the site now and then.

If anyone really need an older non final version let me know and I put it backup of a couple of days.

Grab the new version while it's still hot from the oven Smile
http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/download
RE: LDCad 1.6 Beta 2a (win+linux)
(2017-03-15, 22:04)Roland Melkert Wrote: And I added the 8860 example including its animation as shown here:
https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-22081.html

Do note playback at 25fps might be to slow on some older (laptop) machines .
This would be worth the download on itself (really awesome), even though the script is (well) over my head!
As for playback speed... looks like my machine is able to run the 25 fps "most of the time", actually I was able to run for some time at 35fps.
- "most of the time" seems to be a bit random, the same animation portion may run - or not.
- Would it be possible to offer the user to drop some frames when this happens instead of stopping the animation?
- I'd like to be able to move the slider to set animation startup/stop points
(2017-03-16, 9:54)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: - "most of the time" seems to be a bit random, the same animation portion may run - or not.
- Would it be possible to offer the user to drop some frames when this happens instead of stopping the animation?
- I'd like to be able to move the slider to set animation startup/stop points
The animation timing is very sensitive and might occasional throw a 'false positive' too slow error especially on Windows XP. currently it complains when 5 frames in a row are (more then slightly) above the 1000/fps ms interval.

The normal rendering fps (shown in left inside the status bar) is not to be used as a maximum animation fps indication as that values is only the GL rendernig time while the animation has tons of overhead (reference matrix mutations, transparency sorting, spring regeneration etc).

I'm still looking to improve the timing though (see below reply to Milan) and dropping frames seems like a good idea.

I also like the 'bookmark' idea, could be handy during working on the sub animations etc.
Roland MelkertI've release Beta 2a of LDCad 1.6

Hello Roland.

So far, I had a very little time for testing but I already found a bug: the window for setting hotkeys shows no function/hotkey to configure, regardless the category I choose.

I also wanted to test the animation. My laptop seems too slow for this even I do not understand how it can be _so_ slow: maximum FPS is 1 only. I expected much more with this, relatively modern, laptop (Tinkpad X250). Couldn't be there any special setting I missed?

Anyway, the animation of 8860 is impressive, I must say! (I exported it and watched as a video out of LDCad). I must look into that script, how it is done.
(2017-03-16, 16:19)Milan Vančura Wrote: The window for setting hotkeys shows no function/hotkey to configure, regardless the category I choose.
Seems to be Linux only as it works for me on win7, I'll look into it.

(2017-03-16, 16:19)Milan Vančura Wrote: I also wanted to test the animation. My laptop seems too slow for this even I do not understand how it can be _so_ slow: maximum FPS is 1 only. I expected much more with this, relatively modern, laptop (Tinkpad X250). Couldn't be there any special setting I missed?
The timing stuff is open for improvement, it currently uses a thread on Linux for the timing but I'm having problems applying reliable resolution. I'm open to suggestions, If you're interested this is how it currently works:

Code:
void TAnimationTimerThread::operator()() {

TStopWatch time;
   time.start();

int prevFrameNr=-1;
   bool go=true;

while (go)
   {
     try {
       //slapen, zorgt ook voor de mogelijkheid om de thread te stoppen dmv interrupt.
       boost::this_thread::sleep_for(boost::chrono::milliseconds(1));
     }
     catch (...) {
       go=false;
     }

if (go)
     {
       const int frameNr=(int)((time.curTimeInMs()*fps)/1000.0);
       if (frameNr!=prevFrameNr)
         TAnimationTimer_callbackCore();
       prevFrameNr=frameNr;
     }
   }
 };

The "TAnimationTimer_callbackCore" function's only job is to post a thread save event message which will trigger a re-render in the next message processing loop. Main problem is the 1ms sleep is not guaranteed and secondly the message processing can be delayed.

On Windows it uses the media timer (timeSetEvent) to do the callback which does guarantee 1ms resolution but I haven't been able to find something similar for Linux.

(2017-03-16, 16:19)Milan Vančura Wrote: Anyway, the animation of 8860 is impressive, I must say! (I exported it and watched as a video out of LDCad). I must look into that script, how it is done.
Thanks.
(2017-03-16, 19:18)Roland Melkert Wrote:
(2017-03-16, 16:19)Milan Vančura Wrote: The window for setting hotkeys shows no function/hotkey to configure, regardless the category I choose.
Seems to be Linux only as it works for me on win7, I'll look into it.
Found/fixed this one, it is Linux only indeed.

It has to do with the Linux version using wxWidgets 3.0.2 while Windows uses 3.1, for some reason virtual treeview control uses its itemcount differently.

It will work again in the final 1.6. If you need to change a hotkey you can still edit the main.hkc file or use a pre Beta 2 version of 1.6 to edit that file (not all available keys are the same in those though)
(2017-03-17, 0:09)Roland Melkert Wrote:
(2017-03-16, 19:18)Roland Melkert Wrote: Seems to be Linux only as it works for me on win7, I'll look into it.
Found/fixed this one, it is Linux only indeed.

Thank you, Roland, that was quick!
I may confirm that 1.6-Beta1a does not have this problem.

Also thanks for the tip about config files, I change the hotkey for increasing cells in the part bin, because the problem with "+" is not solved yet.
(2017-03-16, 19:18)Roland Melkert Wrote: The timing stuff is open for improvement, it currently uses a thread on Linux for the timing but I'm having problems applying reliable resolution. I'm open to suggestions, If you're interested this is how it currently works:
Thanks for sharing the code. I look at it next week - and I try to find better experts in SUSE for a help, too.

Adding an unofficial library and browsing for:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\Unofficial\ (which is my actual unofficial library)

I get the following pop-up:

"This is not a valid LDraw library, use it anyway?"

Which is misleading 'cos it IS a valid library, "unofficial" but valid. This is even more misleading as I obviously don't get such a pop-up when I select the parent:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2017-04-20, 12:57)Willy Tschager Wrote: Adding an unofficial library and browsing for:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\Unofficial\ (which is my actual unofficial library)

I get the following pop-up:

"This is not a valid LDraw library, use it anyway?"

Which is misleading 'cos it IS a valid library, "unofficial" but valid. This is even more misleading as I obviously don't get such a pop-up when I select the parent:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\

That message should only appear when the chosen location misses the parts and or p subfolders (and also doesn't contain a complete.zip in case of the first start lib browse).

I'll try to change it into something more clear.
(2017-04-20, 17:08)Roland Melkert Wrote: That message should only appear when the chosen location misses the parts and or p subfolders

Hmm ... my "Unofficial" contains only a "Parts" folder. Could that be the reason?

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2017-04-20, 19:15)Willy Tschager Wrote:
(2017-04-20, 17:08)Roland Melkert Wrote: That message should only appear when the chosen location misses the parts and or p subfolders

Hmm ... my "Unofficial" contains only a "Parts" folder. Could that be the reason?

w.

Yes that's the reason, I could change it to not complain if only one of the two folders is present when it concerns a unofficial library. But it might be confusing, personally I think any library should have both even if one is empty as it becomes part of the search path tree.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »