How to use LEGO EV3 Core and Expanded Set with LDCad

How to use LEGO EV3 Core and Expanded Set with LDCad
Hello I am completely new to LDCad and would like my students to learn modeling their Robots using the LDCad software. I don't know how to get the EV3 Core and Expanded Set parts included in my LDCad Editor interface. By EV3 Core and Expanded set,  I am alluding to parts such as Motors, Sensors, Axles, Beams, Connectors, etc. etc included in the Core Set (45544) and Expanded Set (45560). 

So far I have successfully installed the following components of LDraw : 
a) LDCad b) POV Ray c) LSculpt d) MPDCenter & e) LDFind. 

Can someone please guide me through the steps ....

Thanks & Regards
Ankur Gupta
RE: How to use LEGO EV3 Core and Expanded Set with LDCad
(2016-09-07, 22:06)Ankur Gupta Wrote: So far I have successfully installed the following components of LDraw : 

Once you have LDCad working you'll need (part of) Walt White's custom part bin, the zip mentioned here should be enough I thnk. But currently that zip isn't downloadable (dead link), so if Walt is reading this: please fix that.

Afterwards it should be as easy as copying the contents of that zip into the "%appdata%\LDCad\partBin" folder, but I can't be sure as I haven't seen the contents myself.

You can also start building without those custom files but you'll have to locate ev3 parts by navigating the generic (technic) part bin as they are mixed with the other ~8000 LEGO parts Smile.
(2016-09-07, 22:22)Roland Melkert Wrote:
(2016-09-07, 22:06)Ankur Gupta Wrote: So far I have successfully installed the following components of LDraw : 

Once you have LDCad working you'll need (part of) Walt White's custom part bin, the zip mentioned here should be enough I thnk. But currently that zip isn't downloadable (dead link), so if Walt is reading this: please fix that.

Afterwards it should be as easy as copying the contents of that zip into the "%appdata%\LDCad\partBin" folder, but I can't be sure as I haven't seen the contents myself.

You can also start building without those custom files but you'll have to locate ev3 parts by navigating the generic (technic) part bin as they are mixed with the other ~8000 LEGO parts Smile.

Walt - can you please help provide the zip file or let me know if it can be downloaded from the Brickable website. I am able to used LDCad for the default part bins and I know it will be a powerful aid to create models for the Core and Expanded Set. Our team is gunning for the FLL (First Lego League) competition in November for which they need to create Robots accomplishing certain missions....
(2016-09-07, 22:22)Roland Melkert Wrote:

Roland - thanks - while some of the EV3 Core set parts (such as wheels , some of the beams ) are available with the default version of LDCad, many of the other major ones such as FRAMES, connectors, etc.  I am still trying to see if there is a way to import these through a Brickable type utility. ...
(2016-09-08, 20:18)Ankur Gupta Wrote: Roland - thanks - while some of the EV3 Core set parts (such as wheels , some of the beams ) are available with the default version of LDCad, many of the other major ones such as FRAMES, connectors, etc.  I am still trying to see if there is a way to import these through a Brickable type utility. ...

If you got any list of part names (*.dat) i can easily make a bin group for you which then can added to sets group. It won't be as organized as Walt's ones though as he made a complete tree.
(2016-09-08, 20:55)Roland Melkert Wrote:
(2016-09-08, 20:18)Ankur Gupta Wrote: Roland - thanks - while some of the EV3 Core set parts (such as wheels , some of the beams ) are available with the default version of LDCad, many of the other major ones such as FRAMES, connectors, etc.  I am still trying to see if there is a way to import these through a Brickable type utility. ...

If you got any list of part names (*.dat) i can easily make a bin group for you which then can added to sets group. It won't be as organized as Walt's ones though as he made a complete tree.

Roland thanks can I generate a part list using a tool such as BrickUtils or any other one ??
(2016-09-08, 22:05)Ankur Gupta Wrote:
(2016-09-08, 20:55)Roland Melkert Wrote:

Roland thanks can I generate a part list using a tool such as BrickUtils or any other one ??

Not sure if this is the solution you are looking for ... I've previously used a tool called LDD Manager that will import any part list from BrickLink and create an LXF file. It will layout the parts and stack duplicates. You can then open the LXF file in LDD and export the file to an LDraw format.

LDD Manager [ Eurobricks ]
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.ph...opic=41993
To All,

My apologies for not paying attention to this Forum.  I got involved in day-to-day classroom activities and should have checked back.  I'm sorry.

I also lost the ability to host static files on Comcast.net.  I've been a Comcast customer for twenty years, but they stopped offering to host anything so I found Altervista and it looked fine and I linked to it.  Turns out their Terms of Service say they will archive any site that doesn't get 100 page visits per week.   So it went "dark."

I have a new hosting solution and will also keep experimenting with how the attachments work in this Forum.  I'll update or edit or replace my previous post.

Walt
(2017-01-08, 22:53)Walt White Wrote: To All,

My apologies for not paying attention to this Forum.  I got involved in day-to-day classroom activities and should have checked back.  I'm sorry.

I also lost the ability to host static files on Comcast.net.  I've been a Comcast customer for twenty years, but they stopped offering to host anything so I found Altervista and it looked fine and I linked to it.  Turns out their Terms of Service say they will archive any site that doesn't get 100 page visits per week.   So it went "dark."

I have a new hosting solution and will also keep experimenting with how the attachments work in this Forum.  I'll update or edit or replace my previous post.

Walt

If you want I could put a copy of it on the LDCad site, as I'm working on a third party tools/extensions page. I'll need a zip (or 7z) file and a short description etc. I could also just host a link to your new storage location. You'll be full credited of course.
(2017-01-12, 0:34)Roland Melkert Wrote:
(2017-01-08, 22:53)Walt White Wrote: To All,

Walt

If you want I could put a copy of it on the LDCad site, as I'm working on a third party tools/extensions page. I'll need a zip (or 7z) file and a short description etc. I could also just host a link to your new storage location. You'll be full credited of course.
Hi Roland,

I've edited and updated the original thread with (hopefully) persistent links.

The zip file is hosted at:
https://sites.google.com/site/firstcoolb...0Parts.zip
A description would be: "Kit 45544 — all kit pieces in one part bin, plus a six bin arrangement grouped by types."

When I click that link from this Forum, my Chrome browser on Win10 automatically downloads it to my Downloads folder.

I'm trying the Google Sites method of hosting data files.  One option in Sites for a new page is "File Cabinet" which is what I want so I can just store files there.  The only way to see all the images and files in this topic is to go to:
https://sites.google.com/site/firstcoolb...ov-trouble

Although..... I'm totally in thrall to Google for my phone, email, calendar, contacts, maps, Google+, everything.  So I can't tell if what I can see is because I'm automatically logged in across the Google empire, and other people can't see it.  I hope it's public.

You're welcome to host anything of mine on your excellent site.  And I would definetely remove the space in the zip file's name and find some other way than "Walt" to distinguish this data from the data that is installed by the AIOI or any other installation process.  It was a quick and easy technique for me but not such a good idea for other people who might be better served by using something like "Custom" or even the Windows convention "MyParts."

Walt
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »