LPub3D - Inconsistent PLI counts

LPub3D - Inconsistent PLI counts
I'm in the final stages of completing instructions for a model, and I've noticed an inconsistency between part counts in submodels and part counts in call-outs where multiple instances are involved.

For submodels, the PLI part counts reflect only one instance of the submodel, even if multiple instances are used in the same step.  The instance count is correct, and it appears that the BOM has the correct total number of parts.

In contrast, the PLI part counts for call-outs include all instances of the call-out in that step.  Again, BOM part counts appear to be correct.

I have attached my .mpd file if you would like to see an example.  Page 10 shows the behavior of a 2-instance submodel with PLI part counts for a single instance.  Page 34 shows the behavior of two 2-instance call-outs where the PLI part counts are for all instances.

Is this the normal function of LPub3D, or do I have an error in my .mpd file?

Please note that this is not new behavior with version 2.0.12.  I see it in the PDFs I generated using previous releases of LPub3D.

Thank you.

Kevin

Attached Files
.mpd   HobermanStand_2.mpd (Size: 165.27 KB / Downloads: 3)
RE: LPub3D - Inconsistent PLI counts
(2016-09-23, 7:57)Kevin Wrote: For submodels, the PLI part counts reflect only one instance of the submodel, even if multiple instances are used in the same step.

PLI part counts for call-outs include all instances of the call-out in that step.

Kevin,

This behaviour is as designed. However, I do agree it would be consistent to have the sub-model PLI allow the same options as with callouts.

For callouts, you have the options (see context menu) to display parts list per callout (one instance) or not. When you select no parts list per callout, the PLI will show all the parts consumed by the total number of instances in the callout. If you choose parts list per callout, the PLI is moved to the callout and only the parts for a single occurrence of the callout is shown. The idea here is if you have 5 occurrences of the called out assembly, you'll need 5x the parts total, but only 1x parts are shown to indicate what you need to build an instance of the called out assembly.

On sub-models, there is only one behavior (the most intuitive) which is to display the pats list per step. This is intuitive because the primary role of the PLI is to show what you'll need to build an occurrence of the step shown - it is not the intention to mimic the BoM. Nevertheless, Perhaps, I could add a context menu item to not display parts list per step (display total parts consumed by the number of occurrences of the submodel consumed in the parent submodel/step)

Cheers,
RE: LPub3D - Inconsistent PLI counts
Thanks for clarifying.  I would like to see that option added when you have the opportunity.

Kevin
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »