LPub3D 2.0 Released

RE: LPub3D 2.0.9 Released
Some further diagnosis/thoughts/questions.

It turns out that I had my preferred renderer set to "LDGLite" rather than LDView (menu item "Configuration/Preferences", tabbed sheet "Rendering", drop-down list "Preferred renderer:"). Once I set it to LDView, exited and restarted LPub3D, it began to include the faded motor as desired. Additional diagnosis showed that this was because I had manually added the directory path "D:\users\Vista\djm\AppData\Local\LPub3D Software\LPub3D\fade\parts" via[color=#333333] the LDView menu option "File/Extra Dirs ...".[/color]

[color=#333333]A quick experiment using the command line to invoke LDView showed me that by using the command line argument "-extrasearchdirs/dir001=", I can pass the necessary directory path to LDView and it will generate the faded motor.[/color]

[color=#333333]So, my thoughts and questions are as follows;[/color]
[color=#333333]1) could LPub3D, when invoking LDView, use the "[color=#333333]"-extrasearchdirs" to pass the directories required for the faded parts?[/color][/color]
[color=#333333][color=#333333]2) should LPub3D generate the instructions including the faded motor when using LDGLite as the renderer or is this a known shortcoming from using LDGLite as the renderer?[/color][/color]

[color=#333333][color=#333333]Regards,[/color][/color]

[color=#333333][color=#333333]David[/color][/color]

[color=#333333][color=#333333]P.S. I'm still finding the modal window displayed when generating a PDF is problematic but I'll post separately on this another time.[/color][/color]

[color=#333333][color=#333333]P.P.S. edited to include image showing the test build with the desired faded motor.[/color][/color]

(2016-09-06, 4:56)David Manley Wrote: 1) could LPub3D, when invoking LDView, use the ""-extrasearchdirs" to pass the directories required for the faded parts?
2) should LPub3D generate the instructions including the faded motor when using LDGLite as the renderer or is this a known shortcoming from using 

Regards,

David

I just read your last post.

I have been working with Travis to extend the capabilities of LDView. Searching the extra search directories, defined through the LDView GUI, from a command call is one of the updates available to me but not yet released publicly I believe. Sorry, I completely forgot about this when I merged that enhancement to production. From your last post, it looks like you are able to invoke the extra search directories defined from the LDView GUI via LPub3D command call using LDView 4.2. For me, calls on Window 10, did not succeed to use the GUI defined extra search directories; hence the updated version of LDView (4.3) I am currently working with.

To Answer your questions:

From LPub3D 2.1, LDView will be included in the distribution as a 3rd-party renderer as is currently the case for L3P and Ldglite. All required search directories will be automatically communicated between LPub3D and the 3rd Party renderers.

Yes, LPub3D should generate the instructions including the faded motor when using LDGLite as the renderer. This is working as expected on my environment with and without ldrawini. Be sure your are using the latest version of LDGlite or that your preferences are mapped to the version distributed with LPub3D. The LPub3D version can be found at C:\Program Files [(x86)]\LPub3D\3rdParty\ldglite1.3.1_2g2x_Win\ldglite.exe

I'll take a look at your log and example.

Cheers,

Cheers,
(2016-09-06, 8:52)Trevor Sandy Wrote: Yes, LPub3D should generate the instructions including the faded motor when using LDGLite as the renderer. This is working as expected on my environment with and without ldrawini. Be sure your are using the latest version of LDGlite or that your preferences are mapped to the version distributed with LPub3D. The LPub3D version can be found at C:\Program Files [(x86)]\LPub3D\3rdParty\ldglite1.3.1_2g2x_Win\ldglite.exe

I'll take a look at your log and example.

Trevor,

I checked which LDGLite I had LPub3D pointing to and it was one I had installed previously when I installed the LDraw suite. So I amended the configuration and instead pointed it at the one distributed with LPub3D (per your post).

Sadly, the rendered instructions do not include the faded motor. I have attached the LPub3D log file to this post to assist with diagnosis.

Regards,

David

Attached Files
.txt   LPub3DLog.txt (Size: 11.04 KB / Downloads: 3)
(2016-09-06, 10:17)David Manley Wrote: Sadly, the rendered instructions do not include the faded motor. I have attached the LPub3D log file to this post to assist with diagnosis.

I can't reproduce your behaviour. For me all is working as expected. 

- Did you clear your model cache (the generated LPub3D folder at the root of your model) so a fresh CSI image can be rendered ?
- Your log looks strange. It shows PLI files being generated but no CSI are generated - e.g. the motor and motor with pins. It should show either all (CSI, PLI) being generated or none being generated (i.e. already created). Are you manually manipulating the CSI/PLI images ?

I loaded your sample file after clearing my model cache, deleting my fade directory and clearing my log - using LDGlite with no ldraw.ini.

Here is the view I get:

Here are my logs:

Per the load scenario above - generate all necessary content:

.txt   LPub3DLog.txt (Size: 12.53 KB / Downloads: 2)

Second (load) and third (recent file reload) passes with all content already generated:

.txt   LPub3DLog-no-generation.txt (Size: 14.24 KB / Downloads: 2)

Cheers
As Trevor mentioned, there is a bug in LDView, which is that it doesn't remember the directories you add to the extra search dirs. They work until LDView is relaunched. Of course, LPub3D launches LDView, so they never work. As you discovered, this can be dealt with on the command line (although doing so would prevent the first entry made in LDView from working in the future when that is fixed).
LPub3D 2.0.10 Released
Greetings,

LPub3D 2.0.10 is released.

You can download the various builds from sourceforge.net or check for updates in your existing installation.

This fix will automatically add LPub3D fade parts directories to the extra search directory list if they exist and are not empty. 
Note If you apply this update over an existing installation where ldrawini is not enabled, LPub3D will read the extra search directories list from the registry setting. To update the extra search directory list with the additional directories that this fix may add, use the 'reset' function in Preferences/Other/LDraw Content Search Directories. The reset function will read all default extra search directories from disc. 

Change Log:

LPub3D 2.0.10.793.2 

Features and enhancements 
------------ 
Fix: Search directories not added to LDSEARCHDIRS env variable (r793) 
*LDSEARCHDIRS is used by LDGlite to process LPub3D extra search directories. 

Cheers,
RE: LPub3D 2.0.10 Released
(2016-09-07, 22:16)Trevor Sandy Wrote: LPub3D 2.0.10 is released.

You can download the various builds from sourceforge.net or check for updates in your existing installation.

This fix will automatically add LPub3D fade parts directories to the extra search directory list if they exist and are not empty. 

Thank you Trevor. I have tested and confirmed that this release renders the faded motor using LDGLite as desired. I would like to emphasis something Trevor stated in his post. Namely to "use the 'reset' function in Preferences/Other/LDraw Content Search Directories". Once you have done this, you may need to exit from LPub3D one time and restart it again in order to get LDGLite to pick up the modified search directory list.

Regards,

David
RE: LPub3D 2.0 Released
(2016-08-15, 6:52)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: Sometimes a model uses the same submodel multiple times, but not all in the same step. However, LPub always displays the submodel/callout for the total amount that it's being used in the model.

Merlijn - I have updated LPub3D behaviour to display the submodel instance count reflecting only the number of instances used in the parent step. However, note that there is an efficiency tradeoff to this change in the form of more redundant steps in your instructions.

For example, if I have 4 occurrences of a submodel in a 3-step model file and I consume 2 in step 1 and 1 each in steps 2 and 2, under the previous behaviour, you would indeed see 4 occurrences of the submodel on its last page - displayed while in parent step 1. The efficiency here is that for step 3 and 3 you will not again enter into the sub model's page(s) on the instructions because all 4 occurrences were already communicated to the user. LPub3D handles this by designating the submodel as being 'rendered' at the first occurrence for the entire model file.

For the new behaviour, the submodel is designated as 'rendered' at the first occurrence only for the step in which it is consumed. So subsequent occurrences in the same step will not enter into the submodel page(s). With the new behaviour, as LPub3D would only communicate 2 occurrences consumed in step 1, it will now be necessary to enter into the submodel page(s) on each step a submodel is consumed. This behaviour will not only communicate the remaining occurrences but it will also compel the user to navigate again and again the submodel's page(s).

For small models this may not be an issue but for large models or models where a submodel is large and used in many steps, the instructions will be overwhelmed with redundant information.

To balance this tradeoff, I have added an option switch under Project Setup to enable or disable the consolidation of submodel occurrences at the first occurrence of the submodel (by parent model of course) in the instructions.

Cheers,
Yes, I understand. Maybe it's possible to automatically keep using the old way of rendering submodels just once and add a new LPUB meta command that tells the specific parent step to force render the submodels? No idea if that's possible/lot of work.

Btw, I really appreciate all your hard work on LPub3D lately. Thanks!  Smile
(2016-09-15, 6:49)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: Yes, I understand. Maybe it's possible to automatically keep using the old way of rendering submodels just once and add a new LPUB meta command that tells the specific parent step to force render the submodels?

Btw, I really appreciate all your hard work on LPub3D lately. Thanks!  Smile

My pleasure - and for all the AFOLs and young engineers out there Smile

What you suggest can be done.

Cheers,
LPub3D 2.0.11 Released
Greetings,

LPub3D 2.0.11 is released.

You can download from sourceforge.net or check for updates in your existing installation.

This release include fixes which are more like enhancements. Anyhow, notable fixes are:

- Print/Export mixed size and orientation pages. Preview pdf export all pages, current page or page range.
- Optionally display the submodel count occurring within the current step - default behaviour will show the submodel count for the entire current submodel.
- Part count on model load

Change log:

LPub3D 2.0.11.816.2 

------------ 
Fix: Close model file (r810) 
 * Close model file and release all resources. 

Fix: LDraw editor comments not highlighted (r809) 
 * LDraw editor will now highlight LDraw line comments '//'. 
 Additionally, LDCad meta commands are also highlighted. 

Fix: Display part count (r809) 
 * Part count displayed on status bar at file load. 

Fix: Page size display in Page Setup dialogue does not show accurate size (r808) 
 * Conversion rounding error (between inches and centimetres) preventing the right page size index from being identified. Redesign to use single source (inches) converted dynamically between inches and centimetres when needed. 

Fix: Reload at file change prompt (r807) 
 * Users are now prompted to reload the model file when the loaded file is changed by an external source. With this fix, one can model the same file with multiple applications at the same time. 

Fix: Configuration parameters editor extra prompt to save before close (r807) 
 * LPub3D configuration file editor prompting to save changed content at the both the editor's window close and LPub3D main window close. This behaviour has been corrected to prompt only at editor window close. 

Fix: Part count gives wrong result. (r806) 
 * Setting an automatic piece count gives wrong count most of the time in an MPD with multiple submodels and multiple usages of certain same submodels. This behaviour is now corrected. However,the user will have to play a role in configuring her model file to accurately reflect the part count expected. This will undoubtedly require moderate knowledge of LDraw and LPub3D format/logic semantics. The implemented part count capabilities will aim to minimize the intervention of the user but; ultimately, the strength of the part count will depend on the integrity of the model file. 
 In LPub3D, three configuration patterns will determine if a part is counted: 
 1. The part file must contain a well formed part type meta. 
Examples: 0 !LDRAW_ORG Part, 0 LDRAW_ORG unofficial_part, 0 LDRAW_ORG unofficial part, 0 unofficial part 
Note that LPub3D does not look at the file extension to distinguish between types. Therefore, one could have a file named foo.mpd which will be identified as a part if the above meta declaration exist. Conversely, if no declaration is present, foo.dat or foo.ldr will not be identified as a part. This feature can be useful when defining helper parts. For example, leaving out the type declaration in the file uparrow.dat will allow the user to include it in their instructions with out it being counted as a part. 
 2. Using the IGN (ignore) LPub meta will automatically exclude the part lines within from being counted. 
For example: 
Code:
0 !LPUB PART BEGIN IGN 
1 0 0 0 -120 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 outerrib.ldr 
1 0 0 0 120 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 outerrib.ldr 
1 71 -70.196 804.976 -165 -0.924 -0.383 0 -0.383 0.924 0 0 0 -1 32123a.dat 
1 71 -218.11 743.75 -165 -0.707 -0.707 0 -0.707 0.707 0 0 0 -1 32123a.dat 
1 71 -331.064 630.218 -165 -0.383 -0.924 0 -0.924 0.383 0 0 0 -1 32123a.dat 
1 4 -392.285 322.436 75 -1.00023 -0.000246369 0 0 0 -1 0.000246369 -1.00023 0 arrow108.dat 
1 4 -331.011 174.559 75 0 0 1 -0.999849 0 0 0 -0.999849 0 arrow108.dat 
1 4 -217.888 61.481 75 0 0 1 -1.00023 0.000246369 0 -0.000246369 -1.00023 0 arrow108.dat 
0 !LPUB PART END 
Note that parts in model subfiles within the IGN declaration will also be ignored - like outerrib.ldr above. 
 3. There is now a part exclusion list under the user data directory ...extras/excludedParts.lst. 
 As with the other LPub3D lists, the part exclusion list can be edited from the configuration menu. 
 The exclusion list is effective in the scenario where one is using dynamically generated parts such as hoses, string, rope etc... Segment parts, e.g. LSynth's LSXX.dat parts, stickers, LDCad template segments etc... can be excluded from the part count by placing them on the exclusion list. 

Fix: Submodel instance count reflects all the occurrences in the subfile on initial display (r805) 
 * An example: when a model has 4x the same submodel, but 2 of those are used in step 10 and the other 2 are used in step 20, LPub3D will create 1x the submodel building steps with a 4x next to it. 
 LPub3D behaviour will now, optionally, display the submodel instance count reflecting only the number of instances used in the parent step. However, note that there is an efficiency trade-off to this change in the form of more redundant steps in your instructions. 
 For example, if I have 4 occurrences of a submodel in a 3-step model file and I consume 2 in step 1 and 1 each in steps 2 and 2, under the previous behaviour, you would indeed see 4 occurrences of the submodel on its last page - displayed while in parent step 1. The efficiency here is that for step 3 and 3 you will not again enter into the sub model's page(s) on the instructions because all 4 occurrences were already communicated to the user. LPub3D handles this by designating the submodel as being 'rendered' at the first occurrence for the entire model file. 
 For the new behaviour, the submodel is designated as 'rendered' at the first occurrence only for the step in which it is consumed. So subsequent occurrences in the same step will not enter into the submodel page(s). With the new behaviour, as LPub3D would only communicate 2 occurrences consumed in step 1, it will now be necessary to enter into the submodel page(s) on each step a submodel is consumed. This behaviour will not only communicate the remaining occurrences but it will also compel the user to navigate again and again the submodel's page(s). 
 For small models this may not be an issue but for large models or models where a submodel is large and used in many steps, the instructions will be overwhelmed with redundant information. 
 To balance this trade-off, I have added an option switch under Project Setup to enable or disable the consolidation of submodel occurrences at the first occurrence of the submodel (by parent model of course) in the instructions. 

Fix: Pdf preview progress bar (r803) 
 * Add progress bar to pdf preview dialogue. For large instruction documents it could be good to monitor the progress of the export process. 

Fix: Front and back cover page attribute placement (r802) 
 * By default cover page attributes are placed relative to each other (with one anchor placed relative to the page) on the front and back cover pages. Independent page attributes are by default placed relative to the page. The new behaviour will break the dependency (placing the dependent attribute relative to the page) if the attribute depended upon is not respecting it's default placement relation (i.e. its relation has changed to page). I imagine this is more complex that it probably should be but the aim was to automatically place the attributes on model load so young/novice users would not have to fuss with even more complex configuration. 
 The quirk remaining is when you change placement relative on an attribute depended upon by another, the dependent attributes will obviously follow the position of the newly placed attribute. This may confuse users as it can be perceived as a bug. There are two ways around this when repositioning cover page attributes. One is to not change placement relation but use the drag functionality and; two, from thee bottom-up, set dependent attributes placement relation to page. 
 All attributes are optionally viewable. If a depended upon attribute is not visible, its dependant attribute is automatically placed relative to the page. 
 Here is the the placement relation table - any attribute not placed relative to the page is dependent: 

* Front Cover Default Attribute Placements 
  *   Logo                         *  (Top Left of Page) [Independent] 
  *   ModelName               *  (Top of Title) [Dependent] 
  *   Title                           *  (Left Centre of Page) [Anchor] 
  *   Author                       *  (Bottom of Title) [Dependent] 
  *   Pieces                        *  (Bottom of Author) [Dependent] 
  *   Model Description      *  (Bottom of Pieces) [Dependent] 
  *   Publisher Description *  (Bottom of Model Description) [Dependent] 

* Header/Footer Default Attribute Placements 
  * URL (Top Left of Page)            Email (Top Right of Page) 
  * Copyright (Bottom Left of Page)   Author (Bottom Right of Page) 

* Back Cover Default Attribute Placements 
  *               Logo             *  (Top of Page) [Independent] 
  *  Title                           *  (Centre of Page) [Anchor] 
  *  Author                       *  (Bottom of Title) [Dependent] 
  *  Copyright                   *  (Bottom of Author) [Dependent] 
  *  URL                            *  (Bottom of Copyright) [Dependent] 
  *  Email                          *  (Bottom of URL) [Dependent] 
  *  LEGO Disclaimer         *  (Bottom of Email) [Dependent] 
  *  LPub3D Plug              *  (Bottom of LEGO Disclaimer) 
  *  LPub3D Plug Image   *  (Bottom of Page) [Independent] 

Fix: Disable appropriate UI menu items if no document loaded (r801) 
 * Improve user interface guidance and efficiency. The aim is to better automate the user experience. 

Fix: Mixed page size and orientation export - pdf, png etc... (r801) 
 * The feature to set local page orientation works on screen, but not in the output in PDF or PNG. One is now able to successfully change both page size and orientation locally (at individual page). This capability applies to both pdf and image exports. 
 Additionally, there is now the [experimental] capability to preview your pdf output using the pdf preview menu item. Note that the preview dialogue uses the Qt native print engine (with pdf format output) to support print preview so mixed page size and orientation within the preview document is not well supported. For the moment, mixed page size and orientation documents will preview using the only the original page size and orientation. Output will be cropped and formatted accordingly. If your document does not contain mixed page size or orientation then the print preview functionality should present as expected. Also, note that printing usually consumes quite a bit of memory so, at this time, printing very large graphic intensive documents may experience abnormal termination. 
 Previously, LPub£D was using the default print engine (with pdf format output) which functions just as a physical printer. This means that as no one is likely to physically print different size pages during the same print run (at least not in standard printing), the pdf printer seemed unhappy when you try to switch page size while the printer is active. LPub3D now uses Qt's pdfWriter. Switching to the pdfWriter engine removes the limitation on both size and orientation while the 'printer' is active. 

Fix: Submodel instance count placement broken (r800) 
 *When using page number in alternate corners (like a book) the Submodel instance count is at the wrong place when it is on a odd page number on a single page submodel with a step group. Behaviour corrected and enhanced to detect when submodel instance count is on an odd or even page whereby the position is adjusted right or left of the step number accordingly. This automatic positioning is only available when the submodel instance count is placed relative to the page's step number - its default placement. 

Fix: Refactor fade directory logic (r799) 
 *Process fade directories upon application launch and file load more efficiently and effectively. 

Fix: Progress dialogue always stays on top (r797) 
 *Proper modality behaviour restored. 

Fix: Print/Export banner (image) rotation broken (r796) 
 *Banner rotation updated. Rotation broken by r791. 

Fix: Archive parts terminates on empty search directory folder (r795) 
 *Replace return (terminate) with continue. 

Cheers,
LPub3D 2.0.12 Released
Greetings,

LPub3D 2.0.12 is released.

You can download from sourceforge.net or check for updates in your existing installation.

LPub3D 2.0.12.823.2 

------------ 
Fix: LDView SnapshotSuffix to persist .png image generation (r820) 
 * As designed, LDView will use the last "Save as type" parameter set in the Save Snapshot dialogue for command line exports. I've added the command parameter -SnapshotSuffix=.png to force png image output in situation the user changes the LDView save as type from .png (e.g. exports a snapshot in .jpg format) while working outside of LPub3D. 

Fix: Industrialize pdf print/export preview dialogue(r819) 
 * Remove [Experimental] status from pdf print preview. Implement prompt to open pdf file after printing. Fixed launching "Pdf print preview" menu item disables the "Print to Pdf file" menu item (nothing happens when you click the Print to Pdf file menu item). This behaviour occurs only after launching Pdf print preview requiring an application restart to clear the behaviour. Fixed viewer print banner removed after the first printed/exported page. 

Known Issue: Some JPEG-compressed images types are not rendered as inserted image (r818) 
 * This was a Qt bug claimed to be corrected in Qt 5.5.1 (LPub3D uses 5.7); however, the issue seem to persist in Qt 5.7 also. Not all jpg images fail to load. The issue appear to be related to JPeGs with broken EXIF headers only. 

Cheers,
Impressive Travor! Thanks!

Edit:
The PNG output of a model with various page orientations is not correct.
Single step pages are OK, but multistep are in fact a bit of a mess :-(

The PDF output is OK!

Trevor: I'll pm you my model where things go wrong. Thanks for you efforts!
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2016-09-27, 9:16)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: The PNG output of a model with various page orientations is not correct.

Indeed, this was a bug. Corrected.

I will release shortly - working on another behaviour change request.

Cheers,
Great, tnx again Trevor!
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
LPub3D 2.0.13 Released
Greetings,

LPub3D 2.0.13 is released.

You can download from sourceforge.net or check for updates in your existing installation.

Interesting fixes are the ability to switch part occurrence (times used) in the PLI between per step and per submodel on called out and submodel pages; the ability to insert one-to-many non-faded models (e.g. with alternate attachments/views etc...) when fade step is on; and new meta for pages size including the standard identifier - e.g. A4, Letter, Legal etc... and print/export performance improvements.

LPub3D 2.0.13.834.2

------------
Fix: Logging options added to Preferences (r832)
* Select logged attributes and logging levels.

Fix: Prompt search directory settings reset (r831)
* Prompt to inform that the search directories have been reset after the search directory reset button is clicked. Restarting LPub3D is not required. Also changed menu items "Reset 3D Viewer Model Cache" to "Change Temp File Cache" and "Reset Image and Model Caches" to "Reset All Caches".

Fix: Inconsistency between part counts in submodels and part counts in call-outs where multiple instances are involved (r829)
* For submodels, the PLI part counts reflect only one instance of the submodel, even if multiple instances are used in the same step. The instance count is correct, and the BOM has the correct total number of parts. With this update, sub-model pages displaying instance count now have a context menu option to display parts per step/page or not (total parts consumed by the number of instances indicated.
Previously, for callouts, you have the options (see context menu) to display parts list per callout (one instance) or not. When you select no parts list per callout, the PLI will show all the parts consumed by the total number of instances in the callout. If you choose parts list per callout, the PLI is moved to the callout and only the parts for a single occurrence of the callout is shown. The idea here is if you have 5 occurrences of the called out assembly, you'll need 5x the parts total, but only 1x parts are shown to indicate what you need to build an instance of the called out assembly.
On sub-model pages displaying the instance count, there is only one behaviour for PLI counts (the most intuitive) which is to display the parts list per step. This is intuitive because the primary role of the PLI is to show what you'll need to build an occurrence of the step shown - it is not the intention to mimic the BoM. Nevertheless, I added a context menu item to not display parts list per step and instead display total parts consumed by the number of occurrences of the submodel in the parent submodel/step.

Fix: Page size and orientation processing update (r826/833)
* Further industrialization of the print/export module. This update streamlines the process and realizes some performance gains. There are some key changes. Notably, page orientation and page size are now mutually exclusive. This means when switching from Portrait to Landscape, accompanying the orientation meta with a transposed page size meta no longer required or managed. Here is an illustration:
Previous behaviour when editing a page size change required the following meta commands:
0 STEP
0 LPUB PAGE ORIENTATION LOCAL LANDSCAPE
0 LPUB PAGE SIZE LOCAL 11.0000 8.5000
Note that the page width and height have been transposed. Going forward, transposition of the page width and height when switching from Portrait to Landscape is automatically managed by LPub3D.
NOTE: This update is NOT backward compatable. An accompanying transposed page size meta to indicate the switch from portrait to landscape as shown above will be treated as a new page size meta for that page. Consequently, using this meta to 'switch' orientation will actually result in NOT switching the orientation as LPub3D will automatically switch again the switched page size meta.
If the user is only interested in changing the orientation, the proper meta command going forward will be:
0 STEP
To help with accurately displaying the page size identifier in the setup and context menus, the standard page identifier is now appended to the page size meta command. For example:
0 LPUB PAGE SIZE 8.5000 14.0000 Legal
0 LPUB PAGE SIZE LOCAL 8.5000 11.0000 Letter
0 LPUB PAGE SIZE LOCAL 5.8000 8.3000 A5
0 LPUB PAGE SIZE LOCAL 5.8678 8.3456 Custom
Along with the width and height values, if the page size is non-standard, the identifier "Custom" will be automatically used. Additionally if an identifier is not present, the identifier "Custom" will automatically used. The page identifier is displayed in the Page Setup dialogue and Size/Orientation change context menu dialogue.
Also, the LPub3D print/export function no longer needs to parse the model file to capture, in advance, page sizes. This capture is performed during the existing page parse and load functions and is exposed to the print routines during printing/exporting. This change was necessary to better enable mixed-size page export/printing where it is necessary to 'look ahead' to get the next page's size and orientation parameters in order to configure the printer engine before processing the page.

Fix: Expand INSERT MODEL meta command behaviour (r825)
* When using part fading LPUb3D will now process multiple INSERT MODEL commands rendering the CSI content at each command.  For example, if the instruction document includes different model attachments, the editor can now include a non-faded image of the entire model with each attachment. Here is an example of he proper command sequence when used in conjunction with BUFEXCHG:
   0 BUFEXCHG B STORE
0 //...    default model content...
0 STEP
0 BUFEXCHG B RETRIEVE
0 BUFEXCHG A STORE
1 0 445 -46 -10 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 attachment1.ldr
0 STEP
0 LPUB INSERT MODEL
0 LPUB INSERT PAGE
0 STEP
0 BUFEXCHG A RETRIEVE
1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 attachment2.ldr
0 //STEP    These last 3 lines are optional when editing the model file.
0 //LPUB INSERT MODEL If they don't exist and fade step is ON, they will be automatically created by LPub3D
0 //LPUB INSERT PAGE

Fix: The PNG output of a model with various page orientations is not correct (r824)
* Cleared page buffer before rendering each page. Also corrected a typo causing page range to sometimes not work for image exports.

Cheers,
RE: LPub3D 2.0.13 Released
(2016-10-06, 15:31)Trevor Sandy Wrote: Fix: Page size and orientation processing update (r826/833)
* Further industrialization of the print/export module. This update streamlines the process and realizes some performance gains. There are some key changes. Notably, page orientation and page size are now mutually exclusive. This means when switching from Portrait to Landscape, accompanying the orientation meta with a transposed page size meta no longer required or managed. Here is an illustration:
Previous behaviour when editing a page size change required the following meta commands:
0 STEP
0 LPUB PAGE SIZE LOCAL 11.0000 8.5000
Note that the page width and height have been transposed. Going forward, transposition of the page width and height when switching from Portrait to Landscape is automatically managed by LPub3D.
NOTE: This update is NOT backward compatable. An accompanying transposed page size meta to indicate the switch from portrait to landscape as shown above will be treated as a new page size meta for that page. Consequently, using this meta to 'switch' orientation will actually result in NOT switching the orientation as LPub3D will automatically switch again the switched page size meta.
If the user is only interested in changing the orientation, the proper meta command going forward will be:
0 STEP
To help with accurately displaying the page size identifier in the setup and context menus, the standard page identifier is now appended to the page size meta command. For example:
0 LPUB PAGE SIZE 8.5000 14.0000 Legal
0 LPUB PAGE SIZE LOCAL 8.5000 11.0000 Letter
0 LPUB PAGE SIZE LOCAL 5.8000 8.3000 A5
0 LPUB PAGE SIZE LOCAL 5.8678 8.3456 Custom
Along with the width and height values, if the page size is non-standard, the identifier "Custom" will be automatically used. Additionally if an identifier is not present, the identifier "Custom" will automatically used. The page identifier is displayed in the Page Setup dialogue and Size/Orientation change context menu dialogue.
Also, the LPub3D print/export function no longer needs to parse the model file to capture, in advance, page sizes. This capture is performed during the existing page parse and load functions and is exposed to the print routines during printing/exporting. This change was necessary to better enable mixed-size page export/printing where it is necessary to 'look ahead' to get the next page's size and orientation parameters in order to configure the printer engine before processing the page.

Hi Trevor,

I am experiencing difficulty with the page size and orientation.
Setting things up in a new LDraw file does not give the meta for page size like you describe.
In my file setting up the page size A4 and orientation landscape gives this:

0 !LPUB PAGE ORIENTATION GLOBAL LANDSCAPE
0 !LPUB PAGE SIZE GLOBAL 8.3000 11.7000

Opening the page setup dialog sets it to custom size.

My model is rather big (32 by 48 studs). Scaling the assem size to 0.7 should fit, but the image is cut off.
This cut off seems exactly the way it should when the orientation is portrait. So I guess there's something wrong there?

Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
RE: LPub3D 2.0.13 Released
(2016-10-11, 9:57)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Hi Trevor,

I am experiencing difficulty with the page size and orientation.
Setting things up in a new LDraw file does not give the meta for page size like you describe.
In my file setting up the page size A4 and orientation landscape gives this:

0 !LPUB PAGE SIZE GLOBAL 8.3000 11.7000

Opening the page setup dialog sets it to custom size.

My model is rather big (32 by 48 studs). Scaling the assem size to 0.7 should fit, but the image is cut off.
This cut off seems exactly the way it should when the orientation is portrait. So I guess there's something wrong there?
I experienced this bug too with ldglite rendering.
have you tried with ldview4.2

(the baseplate was a 32x32 with portrait orientation)
LPub3D 2.0.14 Released
Greetings,

LPub3D 2.0.14 is released.

LPub3D 2.0.14.838.2

------------
Fix: File reload after external source change breaks page drop-down combo dialogue(r837)
* When a file is reloaded after being changed by an external source, the drop-down menu for selecting a page doesn't work until after navigating using another method. Corrected.

Fix: Image orientation does not conform when page orientation changed to Landscape (r836)
* Image generation was not inheriting the proper page size values. Corrected.

Fix: Extra characters "%3" in margin meta and page size meta does not display the page size identifier(r835)
* Oops, allocated the page size identifier variable to the wrong meta - should have been allocated to page size meta instead of units meta (units meta is used for setting the margin). Consequently, the page size meta is missing the size identifier (A4, Letter, etc...) because the place-holder to pass the variable is not there. Both issues are now corrected.

Cheers,
RE: LPub3D 2.0.14 Released
(2016-10-13, 14:36)Trevor Sandy Wrote: Greetings,

LPub3D 2.0.14 is released.

Thanks Trevor! That fixes the page problems and this bug: http://forums.ldraw.org/thread-21838.html
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
RE: LPub3D 2.0.14 Released
(2016-10-13, 20:21)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Thanks Trevor! That fixes the page problems and this bug: http://forums.ldraw.org/thread-21838.html

Excellent !

Cheers,
LPub3D 2.0.15 Released
Greetings,

LPub3D 2.0.15 is released.

You can download this release from sourceforge.net or check for updates in your existing installation.

Reset singlestep page cache:

.png   reset-single-step-page.png (Size: 20.47 KB / Downloads: 720)

Reset multistep page cache:

.png   reset-multi-step-page.png (Size: 27.78 KB / Downloads: 719)

Reset step cache:

.png   reset-multi-step-step.png (Size: 29.15 KB / Downloads: 718)

Change Log:

LPub3D 2.0.15.846.2

------------
Fix: Reset step cache (r845)
* CSI (assembly) context menu item "Reset Step Assembly Image Cache." Clear and regenerate CSI .png (assembly) and .ldr (temp) files for the selected step. This context menu is only displayed for multi-step pages allowing the editor to refresh a specific CSI image on the page.

Fix: Reset page cache (r844)
* Page context menu item "Reset Page Assembly Image Cache." Clear and regenerate CSI .png (assembly) and .ldr (temp) files for all assemblies on the current page.
This function will not reset PLI (parts) content.

Fix: On reset all caches LPub3D returns to first page (r843)
* LPub3D will return to the page on which it was when reset all caches launched.

Fix: Fade position lost on page refresh (r842)
* Refresh page (in the LDraw editor) and closing the preference dialogue will refresh the loaded model file after which the fade position is lost and the entire first step on the page is incorrectly faded. This behaviour has been corrected.

Fix: INSERT MODEL meta places meta in the wrong place (r841)
* When there are steps after the last part-added step, the INSERT MODEL meta added by LPub3D is placed after the STEP meta instead of before it.

Fix: Export image removed from viewer window before export is finished (r840)
* Corrected.

Cheers,
RE: LPub3D 2.0.15 Released
Hi,

With the versions 2.0.14 / 2.0.15, when i export as pdf or image, i have a blank page ... i reset alla caches, but it's the same.

It work with 2.0.13 ...

What do I do wrong?

Thanks Smile
Hey Trevor. I haven't used LPub3D for some time now, but I got some new projects again, so I'll be using it extensively for the next months.
It's great to see all the new features and fixes in action.

However, in my short 15 minutes of playing with, I got a few things (note: I'm using the newest version):
  • I misplaces the step number, the step number is slightly out of the page, which means it gets cut off when I export it. This is the standard layout when opening a model. I've tried changing every margin I could find, without any success. Did I overlook something? I hope I/you can fix this soon, because I'd like to finish the instructions I'm working on as soon as possible  Smile
  • I haven't investigated this one very much. I think I saw a little error. When a submodel is used multiple times, you get the X2 or whatever number to indicate the amount you have to make. However, when I place all steps except the last one on a single page, it shows X2 on the first, but the first page doesn't contain the last step. The last step is on the next page. Again, I haven't investigated this one very much, so I just maybe I didn't look very well. EDIT: I've confirmed this behavior now.
That's it for now. 
Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I did a quick export of my LDraw file and somewhere around the middle of the file, all pages were blank. I don't know if this is because I used my browser to view the pdf (maybe it has a page limit) or LPub3D is doing something wrong, but Robert's post above does make me wonder...
Ok, some more bugs:
  • When I turn off page numbers, it also removes all notations of how many times a submodel has to be build (e.g. x2) except for callouts.
  • When creating a call-out, it copies the ROTSTEP (if any) of the parent model, to avoid this I have to force the submodel to use its own rotation steps by making the first step a ROTSTEP END.
  • A bit the same as above: when creating a call-out, the call-out uses the same model-scale as the parent page. This one however cannot be avoided, even if I add a scale into the submodel, it still uses the scale of the parent model.
  • There were a few other things which I forgot to write down. Whoops. I'm sure I come across them again, so no worries  Tongue
Merlijn,
Many thanks for sharing these items.

Merlijn Wissink Wrote:I misplaces the step number, the step number is slightly out of the page, which means it gets cut off when I export it. This is the standard layout when opening a model. I've tried changing every margin I could find, without any success. Did I overlook something?
Corrected in latest release.

Merlijn Wissink Wrote:When a submodel is used multiple times, you get the X2 or whatever number to indicate the amount you have to make. However, when I place all steps except the last one on a single page, it shows X2 on the first, but the first page doesn't contain the last step. The last step is on the next page. Again, I haven't investigated this one very much, so I just maybe I didn't look very well. EDIT: I've confirmed this behavior now.
Sorry but I don't understand your description of this issue. Could you PM me an example model file that generates the behaviour you describe or screenshot(s) of what you are experiencing and what you expect ?

Merlijn Wissink Wrote:I did a quick export of my LDraw file and somewhere around the middle of the file, all pages were blank.
I can't reproduce this behaviour. Could you PM me a copy of the model file generating this behaviour ? Thanks.

Cheers,
(2016-11-13, 9:47)Robert Wrote: With the versions 2.0.14 / 2.0.15, when i export as pdf or image, i have a blank page ... i reset all caches, but it's the same.
It work with 2.0.13 ...

Hi Robert,

If I well understand, you are saying that you are unsuccessful to export your model file as pdf or image ? Upon export, you only receive a blank page ?
I can't reproduce your behaviour, so can you PM(or email) me a copy of your model file that produce the behaviour you are experiencing ? You can see my email in the Help/About menu.

Cheers,
(2016-11-19, 13:28)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: Ok, some more bugs:
  • When I turn off page numbers, it also removes all notations of how many times a submodel has to be build (e.g. x2) except for callouts.
  • When creating a call-out, it copies the ROTSTEP (if any) of the parent model, to avoid this I have to force the submodel to use its own rotation steps by making the first step a ROTSTEP END.
  • A bit the same as above: when creating a call-out, the call-out uses the same model-scale as the parent page. This one however cannot be avoided, even if I add a scale into the submodel, it still uses the scale of the parent model.

Merlijn,

These are all old LPub items. I don't think they are bugs but limitations. 

For item 1, instance count is by default placed relative to page number so if no page number then no instance count. I'll correct this in the next release 2.0.17. Update: This has been corrected.

Item 2/3, although callouts have dedicated attributes, ROTSTEP and scale are not dedicated attributes for callouts. In fact, these attributes are both associated with assemblies. You can select the assembly in the callout and use its context menu to change the scale.

Let me know how you would expect items 2 and 3 to behave.

Cheers,
LPub3D 2.0 Released
Greetings,

LPub3D 2.0.16 is released.

You can download this release from sourceforge.net or check for updates in your existing installation.

Change Log:

LPub3D 2.0.16.858.2

------------
Fix: Prompt to download LDraw archive when archive not provided (r856)
* When a portable distribution of LPub3D (e.g. when distributed in AIOI) does not include the LDraw archive libraries, LPub3D will prompt the installation user to download or select the LDraw library archives if they are not detected. This update allows portable distributions of LPub3D to exclude the official and unofficial LDraw library archive files. Note that if a portable distribution includes only the official LDraw library archive (complete.zip), LPub3D will automatically build the unofficial library archive (lpub3dldrawunf.zip) file from content in the LDraw\unofficial directory; however, subdirectory parts and p will be ignored so the created unofficial library archive will NOT contain the default unofficial library parts and primitives. To fully update the unofficial library archive file under this scenario, select Tools/Refresh LDraw Unofficial Parts from the LPub3D menu bar to update the lpub3dldrawunf.zip with the latest unofficial parts and primitives.

Fix: Cover page attributes displayed outside of page (r853)
* Page attributes placed outside of page when displaying individual attributes. Attributes on both front and back cover pages were experiencing this behaviour. The behaviour is now corrected. Refer to features and enhancements for LPub3D 2.0.11.816.2  to review additional details on manipulating page attributes.

Fix: Refresh open model file when preference changes (r852)
* Refresh open model file when "display all page attributes" and "generate cover pages" preference settings have changed.

Fix: Unable to create a new line in text items - e.g. Model Description (r851)
* It is now possible to split text in text boxes and all editable page attributes - e.g. model description, LEGO disclaimer etc... When you select a text item, the cursor is placed at the very beginning of the dialogue. Use your arrow keys to move the cursor to the desired position of the dialogue.
To split a line simply hit the "enter" key on your keyboard. It is also possible to create a new line by inserting inserting the newline characters \n.
One can also add "quoted texts" in test items. Just like adding a new line, simply type " before and after the content you wish to quote. It is not necessary to enter an escape character \ but entering an escape character before the \" is also supported.

Fix: The step number is slightly off of the page when using default settings (r850)
* Page header and footer width is now matched with the size and orientation of the displayed page. One can also change the "Relative To" settings from header/footer to page using the context menu/Move Step Number dialogue. For example, the step number on single step pages default placement is relative to the invisible page header - which can be managed in the page setup dialogue. Alternatively, step number placement on a single step page can be set relative to the page using the context menu as described earlier.

Fix: Page movable and selectable in the graphics scene (r849)
* Page is now fixed and cannot be selected within the graphics scene.

Fix: Drag and drop model file (r848)
* Open model file using drag and drop. Note that only one file at a time can be opened so dragging and dropping multiple files will only open the first file in in the list of selected files.

Cheers,
(2016-11-19, 15:29)Trevor Sandy Wrote:
Merlijn Wissink Wrote:When a submodel is used multiple times, you get the X2 or whatever number to indicate the amount you have to make. However, when I place all steps except the last one on a single page, it shows X2 on the first, but the first page doesn't contain the last step. The last step is on the next page. Again, I haven't investigated this one very much, so I just maybe I didn't look very well. EDIT: I've confirmed this behavior now.
Sorry but I don't understand your description of this issue. Could you PM me an example model file that generates the behavior you describe or screenshot(s) of what you are experiencing and what you expect ? 

Well, I don't have an example (anymore), but it's quite easy to reproduce.. I'll try explaining one more time, otherwise I'd have to create an example Wink

Imagine you have a submodel with 5 steps and it's used 2x times in the parent-model. Now, the first 4 steps fit on a single page, so you create a multi-step page with the first 4 steps of the submodel. The last step (step 5) is on the next page. However, the x2 already shows up on the first page (under step 4) even though it should appear at the end of the submodel (at step 5). Hope that makes sense.

(2016-11-19, 15:29)Trevor Sandy Wrote:
Merlijn Wissink Wrote:I did a quick export of my LDraw file and somewhere around the middle of the file, all pages were blank.
I can't reproduce this behavior. Could you PM me a copy of the model file generating this behavior ? Thanks.

Cheers,

I don't know what it was. It was definitely a malformed pdf (I tried opening it in another viewer), but after exporting a  2nd time the problem was gone and never re-appeared...
(2016-11-19, 16:17)Trevor Sandy Wrote:
(2016-11-19, 13:28)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: Ok, some more bugs:

Merlijn,

These are all old LPub items. I don't think they are bugs but limitations. 

For item 1, instance count is by default placed relative to page number so if no page number then no instance count. I'll correct this in the next release 2.0.17. Update: This has been corrected.

Item 2/3, although callouts have dedicated attributes, ROTSTEP and scale are not dedicated attributes for callouts. In fact, these attributes are both associated with assemblies. You can select the assembly in the callout and use its context menu to change the scale.

Let me know how you would expect items 2 and 3 to behave.

Cheers,

I have no idea if they're old LPub or not. I'm so used to LPub3D now I barely remember what is was like using LPub (which is a good thing) Wink

Regarding item 1: quite funny explanation, haha. Never realized it was relative to the page number (and thus disappearing when the page number was gone). I'll take another good look at number 2 and 3 and I'll report back to you.

Also, another bug I discovered today (although I haven't verified/investigated this one: my model has the first 1/3 of the instructions in portrait mode, the 2nd 1/3 in landscape mode and the last 1/3 in portrait again. When I export however, the first 1/3 is correctly portait, the 2nd 1/3 is correctly landscape, but the last 1/3 is still landscape and doesn't go back to portrait (and thus a lot of stuff is cut off).
(2016-11-19, 20:18)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: [quote='Trevor Sandy' pid='23891' dateline='1479569385']
Sorry but I don't understand your description of this issue. Could you PM me an example model file that generates the behavior you describe or screenshot(s) of what you are experiencing and what you expect ? 

Well, I don't have an example (anymore), but it's quite easy to reproduce.. I'll try explaining one more time, otherwise I'd have to create an example Wink

Imagine you have a submodel with 5 steps and it's used 2x times in the parent-model. Now, the first 4 steps fit on a single page, so you create a multi-step page with the first 4 steps of the submodel. The last step (step 5) is on the next page. However, the x2 already shows up on the first page (under step 4) even though it should appear at the end of the submodel (at step 5). Hope that makes sense.

(2016-11-19, 15:29)Trevor Sandy Wrote: I can't reproduce this behavior. Could you PM me a copy of the model file generating this behavior ? Thanks.

Cheers,

I don't know what it was. It was definitely a malformed pdf (I tried opening it in another viewer), but after exporting a  2nd time the problem was gone and never re-appeared...

Merlijn Wissink Wrote:Imagine you have a submodel with 5 steps and it's used 2x times in the parent-model. Now, the first 4 steps fit on a single page, so you create a multi-step page with the first 4 steps of the submodel. The last step (step 5) is on the next page. However, the x2 already shows up on the first page (under step 4) even though it should appear at the end of the submodel (at step 5). Hope that makes sense.

Perfect. Got it. I'll take a look. Thanks.

Cheers,
(2016-11-19, 20:23)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: Also, another bug I discovered today (although I haven't verified/investigated this one: my model has the first 1/3 of the instructions in portrait mode, the 2nd 1/3 in landscape mode and the last 1/3 in portrait again. When I export however, the first 1/3 is correctly portait, the 2nd 1/3 is correctly landscape, but the last 1/3 is still landscape and doesn't go back to portrait (and thus a lot of stuff is cut off).

Ah, mixed orientation export. Be sure your 2nd and 3rd orientation meta commands are global.

Below is an example model that starts with portrait, then landscape, then back to portrait. Copy, save and let me know if your installation properly processes this content ? 

Code:
0 FILE 6964-boba-fetts-slave-ship.ldr
0 !LPUB INSERT COVER_PAGE FRONT
0 !LPUB PAGE SIZE GLOBAL 8.5000 11.0000
0 !LPUB PAGE ORIENTATION GLOBAL PORTRAIT
0 STEP
0 !LPUB ASSEM PLACEMENT LOCAL CENTER PAGE INSIDE 0.00218577 -0.159666
1 72 0 0 10 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 3795.dat
1 378 0 -8 60 -1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 -1 3794a.dat
0 STEP
0 !LPUB MULTI_STEP BEGIN
1 19 0 -8 0 0 0 -1 0 1 0 1 0 0 3021.dat
1 70 10 -24 40 0 0 -1 0 1 0 1 0 0 3040b.dat
1 70 -10 -24 40 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 3040b.dat
0 STEP
1 72 10 -32 20 0 0 -1 0 1 0 1 0 0 4070.dat
1 72 -10 -32 20 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 4070.dat
0 STEP
1 70 0 -24 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 48933ps1.dat
0 STEP
0 //!LPUB MULTI_STEP ALLOC HORIZONTAL
0 !LPUB MULTI_STEP END
0 !LPUB MULTI_STEP BEGIN
1 378 0 -32 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3794a.dat
1 378 0 -40 20 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3794a.dat
0 !LPUB PAGE SIZE LOCAL 8.5000 11.0000 Letter
0 STEP
0 //!LPUB MULTI_STEP ALLOC VERTICAL
1 378 0 -40 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3024.dat
1 71 0 -48 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3024.dat
1 0 0 -56 20 -1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 -1 6005.dat
0 STEP
0 !LPUB MULTI_STEP END
1 0 16 -22 20 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 6964-Wing.ldr
1 0 -16 -22 20 -1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 -1 6964-Wing.ldr
0 STEP
0 !LPUB PAGE SIZE LOCAL 11.0000 16.9999 Ledger
1 71 0 -56 -30 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 3666.dat
1 71 0 -48 -80 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 4081b.dat
1 378 0 -48 -20 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 4287.dat
0 STEP
1 378 0 -64 -30 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 2431.dat
1 378 12 -46 -100 0 -1 0 0 0 -1 1 0 0 4592.dat
1 0 12 -46 -100 0 0 -1 0 1 0 1 0 0 4593.dat
0 STEP
1 378 -12 -46 -100 0 1 0 0 0 -1 -1 0 0 4592.dat
1 0 -12 -46 -100 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 4593.dat
1 0 16 -22 40 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 6964-Wing.ldr
0 STEP
0 !LPUB PAGE ORIENTATION GLOBAL PORTRAIT
0 !LPUB INSERT MODEL
0 !LPUB INSERT PAGE
0 STEP
0 !LPUB INSERT BOM
0 !LPUB INSERT PAGE
0 STEP
0 !LPUB INSERT PAGE
0 !LPUB INSERT BOM
0 NOFILE
0 FILE 6964-wing.ldr
1 19 24 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 1 -1 0 0 4589.dat
1 19 54 20 0 -1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 -1 3023.dat
1 19 44 -4 0 0 0 -1 0 1 0 1 0 0 4599a.dat
0 NOFILE

Cheers,
(2016-11-19, 22:04)Trevor Sandy Wrote:
(2016-11-19, 20:23)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: Also, another bug I discovered today (although I haven't verified/investigated this one: my model has the first 1/3 of the instructions in portrait mode, the 2nd 1/3 in landscape mode and the last 1/3 in portrait again. When I export however, the first 1/3 is correctly portait, the 2nd 1/3 is correctly landscape, but the last 1/3 is still landscape and doesn't go back to portrait (and thus a lot of stuff is cut off).

Ah, mixed orientation export. Be sure your 2nd and 3rd orientation meta commands are global.

Below is an example model that starts with portrait, then landscape, then back to portrait. Copy, save and let me know if your installation properly processes this content ? 

Cheers,

Well, aside from if that works or not, the editor correctly showed portrait/landscape/portrait so the exporter didn't export 100% the same as shown. So there's at least something wrong Wink

My situation: I have a model with 1 big submodel that has the landscape orientation. The rest of the model is just portrait. I added a 2nd '0 !LPUB PAGE ORIENTATION GLOBAL PORTRAIT' command on the step that the submodel was added, this fixes the export problem mostly. The 3rd 1/3 now correctly exports to portrait again, except for the first page (where the landscape model is added into the main model); that one is still landscape (and again, the editor shows it as portrait...). I could send you the file if you want.
I hope you don't mind me asking for all these changes/fixes, because coming weeks/months I'm working on some bigger projects so I'll come across more things as I go along...

This time:
I often edit the pdf after the export with some minor additions (a little text here, an arrow there, a quick fix on that page etc.). Sometimes I also decide to add a background into the pdf itself. However, the pdf export always adds a page-sized square with the color of the page-background, as background. I could understand this if the page background was any other color than white, but for white it's so useless (I mean, if I delete the white square, the page is white so there is zero difference). So, if I want to add a background in the pdf, I first have to go over every page and remove the white square. This problem already existed in the original LPub, so it's not your fault  Wink

Then I saw this new option: a transparant background. I thought: 'wow, he actually implemented a fix for this problem! yay!', but even when exporting with a transparant background, it still adds those white squares  Tongue

Also, it seems that adding an image background in LPub3D itself is also broken: I selected an image, but then all pages become transparant and there's no image to be found.
I sent you an e-mail, thank
(2016-11-20, 7:50)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: ... I could send you the file if you want.

Ok, noted. Please PM the sample model file to save time.

Cheers,
(2016-11-20, 8:10)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: I hope you don't mind me asking for all these changes/fixes...
It's not a problem. Reporting issues helps all who use the software.

Using the default setting 'Submodel Level Color" or None(transparent), I don't see any squares in my output other than those associated with page items - PLI, Assy, Callout etc... I'm reviewing the output using Adobe Acrobat X Pro. You're going to have to send some screenshots to see what you're talking about.

Let me know if the output file attached includes the squares you are talking about ?

Merlijn Wissink Wrote:Also, it seems that adding an image background in LPub3D itself is also broken: I selected an image, but then all pages become transparent and there's no image to be found.
Noted. I will take a look.

Cheers,

Attached Files
.pdf   6964 - Boba Fetts Slave-Basic-nobg.pdf (Size: 339.73 KB / Downloads: 3)
(2016-11-20, 13:19)Trevor Sandy Wrote:
(2016-11-20, 8:10)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: I hope you don't mind me asking for all these changes/fixes...
It's not a problem. Reporting issues helps all who use the software.

Using the default setting 'Submodel Level Color" or None(transparent), I don't see any squares in my output other than those associated with page items - PLI, Assy, Callout etc... I'm reviewing the output using Adobe Acrobat X Pro. You're going to have to send some screenshots to see what you're talking about.

Let me know if the output file attached includes the squares you are talking about ? 

Well, you can't see  the squares.

I'm using Adobe Acrobat DC Pro, but I'm pretty sure you can also edit pdf files in X Pro.
When you open the file in Adobe, then start editing the pdf. Try to 'select' the background. You'll see you suddenly have selected a giant white square with the size of the page. Then delete the square and you'll see there's nothing left.

When I add a background in Adobe, I have to delete all those white rectangles, because the background appears under those.

But, I just realized the following: when I add a background in Adobe, it also adds an image to every page which I then can delete on a page-by-page basis, just like the white rectangles (just with an image). So, I don't know if this is really a 'problem' or just pdf behavior that I don't like. 

Still, it would be nice if you could stop producing these rectangles if the background is pure white (#ffffff), since they don't seem to be necessary (when I delete them, the background is still white)  Smile
(2016-11-19, 15:36)Trevor Sandy Wrote:
(2016-11-13, 9:47)Robert Wrote: With the versions 2.0.14 / 2.0.15, when i export as pdf or image, i have a blank page ... i reset all caches, but it's the same.
It work with 2.0.13 ...

Hi Robert,

I think I found the problem. The page size is not captured during printing unless an explicit definition of the page size meta is present in the model file. This is a bug and will be fixed in the next release 2.0.17.

As an immediate work around, add the meta command below before the first step in your model file and let me know if this resolves your problem ?

Code:
0 !LPUB PAGE SIZE GLOBAL 8.5000 11.0000 Letter
Note that you can use whatever size parameters and page identifier you wish.

Cheers,
(2016-11-20, 13:52)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: I'm using Adobe Acrobat DC Pro, but I'm pretty sure you can also edit pdf files in X Pro.
When you open the file in Adobe, then start editing the pdf. Try to 'select' the background. You'll see you suddenly have selected a giant white square with the size of the page. Then delete the square and you'll see there's nothing left.

Still, it would be nice if you could stop producing these rectangles if the background is pure white (#ffffff), since they don't seem to be necessary (when I delete them, the background is still white)  Smile

Ok, I found your "squares" - they're actually Acrobat's image XObjects which are generated by the pdf print engine during construction of the pdf page. I don't know if there's anything I can do in my code to change this behaviour. I imagine, one would have to subclass the Qt print engine to manipulate this level of object. Sorry Sad

Cheers,
(2016-11-20, 14:28)Trevor Sandy Wrote:
(2016-11-20, 13:52)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: I'm using Adobe Acrobat DC Pro, but I'm pretty sure you can also edit pdf files in X Pro.

Ok, I found your "squares" - they're actually Acrobat's image XObjects which are generated by the pdf print engine during construction of the pdf page. I don't know if there's anything I can do in my code to change this behaviour. I imagine, one would have to subclass the Qt print engine to manipulate this level of object. Sorry Sad

Cheers,

Yeah, I already kind of expected something like that. But still, I had a little bit of hope  Wink

In any case; what's the use of a 'transparant' background then anyway? What does it do differently than a white background (since both options export a white background-rectangle)?
(2016-11-20, 18:25)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: In any case; what's the use of a 'transparant' background then anyway? What does it do differently than a white background (since both options export a white background-rectangle)?

Good question, perhaps you can ask Kevin. Background none (transparent) was brought forward from LPub.

The difference between setting "Submodel Level Color" and none (transparent) should be obvious (each level has a different color as you can see) even though at submodel level 0, the background color is white.

Cheers,
Merlijn Wissink Wrote:Also, it seems that adding an image background in LPub3D itself is also broken: I selected an image, but then all pages become transparent and there's no image to be found.

I can't reproduce this behaviour. 

For me setting a background image works as designed:

Cheers,
LPub3D 2.0 Released
Greetings,

LPub3D 2.0.17 is released.

You can download this release from sourceforge.net or check for updates in your existing installation.

Change Log:

LPub3D 2.0.17.863.2

------------
Fix: Inconsistent page size/orientation transition (r862)
* Size and orientation transition is inconsistent between the editor and export for mixed orientation output. Editor and export page orientation corrected to behave the same. Here are some notes to describe how to use the different metas:
- Use the page context menu to set size and/or orientation to ensure proper meta command syntax.
- GLOBAL (e.g 0 !LPUB PAGE ORIENTATION GLOBAL PORTRAIT) meta keyword should only be used at the header of the top level model file - if you are manually adding meta commands in the LDraw editor.
- LOCAL (e.g 0 !LPUB PAGE ORIENTATION GLOBAL PORTRAIT) meta keyword will scope the meta command to only the current step - if you are manually adding meta commands in the LDraw editor..
- When the LOCAL keyword is absent (e.g. 0 !LPUB PAGE ORIENTATION PORTRAIT), the meta command takes on the same behaviour as if the GLOBAL keyword is used - i.e. the meta command takes on a global scope from the point where it is used - unless it is superseded by a new meta command.
- When manually setting size and/or orientation on a child submodel (i.e. using the LDraw editor), place your command in the child submodel instead of placing it in the parent model. For MULTI_STEP(s), place the size orientation at the bottom of the MULTI_STEP - just before 0 !LPUB MULTI_STEP END.

Fix: Empty output after export to pdf or images (r861)
* The page size was not captured during export (pdf or images) unless an explicit definition of the page size meta command is present in the model file (e.g. 0 !LPUB PAGE SIZE GLOBAL 8.5000 11.0000 Letter). This behaviour is now corrected.

Fix: When page number is not displayed, the submodel instance count is also not displayed (r860)
* Instance count is by default placed relative to page number so, by default, if page number is not displayed then instance count is also not displayed. This behaviour is now changed to automatically set the instance count relative to the page if the page number is not displayed. As a result, the instance count will display regardless of the display status of the page number.

Cheers,
(2016-11-21, 12:53)Trevor Sandy Wrote:

I can't reproduce this behaviour. 

For me setting a background image works as designed:

Well, if I take the exact file I sent you, and add an image (from the desktop) all pages become transparant (the background that is).
Also, I just discovered that if I choose 'Tiled' instead of 'Stretch Picture' LPub3D just hangs and seems to do nothing (I'm not sure if it's doing A LOT of stuff or if it's just crashing).
Try a few different images. PNGs seem to always work for me.

Cheers,
LPub3D 2.0 Released
Greetings,

LPub3D 2.0.18 is released.

You can download this release from sourceforge.net or check for updates in your existing installation.

Change Log:

LPub3D 2.0.18.876.2

------------
Fix: Instance count placement when page number not displayed (r874)
* Instance count is placed relative to page number by default. When page number is not displayed, LPub3D will re-assign the instance count to any or the four page attributes, url, email, copyright, and author (default) displayed at the left bottom area of the page. If no page attributes are displayed, the instance count is assigned to the bottom left inside corner of the page.

Fix: Fade part not displayed in assembly image (r872)
* The faded part is not rendered or displayed in the CSI step image. The non-faded part occurrence is rendered successfully and the faded part is displayed in the viewer.The problem persists after regenerating fade parts and clearing the cache. In some scenarios, particularly when LPub3D is launched with fade=Off and then fade is set to fade=ON using the Preferences menu after a model file is loaded, it is possible that the fade directory is not communicated to the renderer so no fade part image is rendered. This behaviour has been corrected.
With the updated behaviour, the fade search directories are updated on any change to the Fade Step check-box in the Preferences General tab. If the fade step is set to ON, fade directory with part file content will be added to the search directory. When fade step is set to OFF, the fade directory will be removed.

Fix: True page background transparency (r871)
* When the page background is set the true transparent, it is not possible to display the background context menu so many page functions will not be accessible. To accommodate true transparency and enable the available page editing functions, when a page background is set to "none(transparent)" by the user, the page is set to white with alpha=1 during page editing but switched to true transparent for exporting/printing. This way, the user will have the ability to manipulate the page components while editing the document.

Fix: Previewing the current page (single page) produces a blank page (r870)
* This behaviour has been corrected.

Fix: Page size precision to 4 decimal places (r869)
*  When using some page sizes (e.g. A4), there was a thin white band at the right/bottom edge of the generated PDF pages when the background is set to colour or image. This issue resulted from using incorrect page sizes. The correct page size in inches sometimes require 4 digits of precision but were rounded to only 1 digit. All page sizes have been set to 4 digits of precision.

Fix: Border meta automatically updated to LPub3D format (r868)
* LPub3D will automatically detect and update a LPub border meta to the LPub3D format which adds a line type attribute to the meta command. The previous behaviour would display an error format message prompting the user to correct the meta. The default line type set during automatic update is 1=solid.
Line types are  0=none,1=solid,2=dash,3=dot,4=dashDot,5=dashDotDot. An LPub meta line like this:
0 !LPUB PLI BORDER GLOBAL ROUND Black 0 15 MARGINS 0.472439 0.07 will be automatically updated to this:
0 !LPUB PLI BORDER GLOBAL ROUND 1 Black 0 15 MARGINS 0.472439 0.07

Fix: Find button in LDraw editor (r867)
* Find button added to LDraw editor. The find dialogue will open with the word currently under the cursor. Therefore, an efficient use pattern is to place the cursor above the word you wish to search and click the search button.

Fix: Display message for mixed page size and orientation (r866)
* When previewing a pdf export, the user has to option to present or suppress the message indicating there are different orientations and/or sizes in the preview. The Qt print preview does not play well with mixed pages sizes. This message informs the user of this fact. Additional Cleanup.

Fix: Misplaced submodel occurrence (r865)
* When a submodel ends with a single step and the next to the last step is a multi-step, the submodel occurrence number (if used more than 1x in the parent model) is placed both at the multi-step and the last step in the child model. Under this scenario, the corrected behaviour places the occurrence number only at the last step.

Cheers,
I thought of another feature that might be nice to have: I was looking through the building instructions for the Porsche model (42056) and I saw that they use a single sequence for the step numbering. Submodels do not have their own numbering starting at 1. The whole book just starts at 1 and ends at 856. Obviously call-outs do have their own numbering. And it actually looked quite nice.

So, is it possible to implement something like that in LPub3D? Where the whole file just uses 1 sequence for the step numbering, regardless of what submodel you're into (except when you turn a submodel into a call-out).
(2016-12-03, 8:50)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: So, is it possible to implement something like that in LPub3D?

Indeed, it's possible and somewhat straightforward to do too. Instead of automatically resetting the step number at every new submodel (or callout), I can add a preference setting to optionally reset or not.

For LPub3D 2.1 and beyond, there are already quite a few interesting new features coming from the Porsche GTS instructions book, I'll add this one also.

Cheers,
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »