[LDPartEditor] 0.8.13 Beta Released
Hey :D

showtime for LDPartEditor 0.8.13!

[Image: imgDuke2.png]
As always, you can download LDPE from this page:
http://nilsschmidt1337.github.io/ldparteditor/

Changelog:
(7 new features and 2 bug fixes)

With this release you will be able to...
  • ...use a new tabbed "Add Metadata" window.
  • ...benefit from better "Sort" performance.
  • ...configure all the settings from the "Welcome Dialog" in the "Options Dialog", too.
  • ...select a line of code by clicking on the line number in the text editor (it is possible to extend the selection while pressing Ctrl.)
  • ...synchronise the manipulator between multiple perspectives (right click on 3D view, "Synchronise..."->"Manipulator").
  • ...synchronise the translation of the view between multiple perspectives (right click on 3D view, "Synchronise..."->"Viewport Translation").
  • ...synchronise the zoom level between multiple perspectives (right click on 3D view, "Synchronise..."->"Zoom").
The following critical issues were fixed:

1. "Copy" threw an exception in some rare cases
  2. The generated file name for downloaded files was not correct (PartReview tool)

What will the next release 0.8.14 deliver? Focus on bug fixes and then usability improvements...

The program was tested intensively with "real world" files.
However, it is still a beta version and something can go wrong in about 100.000 lines of code.

Make sure that you choose the right architecture for your OS and Java Virtual Machine (JVM) (64bit or 32bit).
A short guide how to check if a 64bit JVM is installed on your system is located at the bottom of this message.

1. Download the zip-Archive
  2. Extract the archive content to the location of your choice
  3. On windows, double-click "run.bat" to start LDPE.
  4. On linux/mac, you have to excecute the shell script "run.sh" to start LDPE.
Please note that this software is in the beta stage. Although, LDPE 0.8.13 was tested, there are already known issues  for this release. There is a potential risk of data loss.

You can search for updates if you do the following steps:

1. On windows, double-click "update.bat" to search for updates.
  2. On linux/mac, you have to excecute the shell script "update.sh".
I listen carefully to your requests and possible complaints. Please leave me a message, with your thoughts and wishes to further improve the software.

LDPE is a 3D CAD application: The overall system requirements are higher. While I recommend to use a powerful 64-bit multicore system, it could be possible, to run LDPE on older machines as well.

System Requirements:

Minimum System Requirements:
  • Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.8
  • OpenGL 2.1 compatible Graphics Card
  • Operating System (32/64bit): Windows [XP; Vista; 7 or newer], Mac OS X [>=10.6], Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=10.4]
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor e.g. Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon II (>2.0Ghz)
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Video-Memory: 512 MB
  • Free Disk Space: 100 MB
Recommended Requirements:
  • Operating System (64bit): Windows 7, Mac OS X [>=10.6], Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=10.4]
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor with 4 cores (or more)
  • RAM: >4 GB
  • Video-Memory: >=1 GB
  • Free Disk Space: 512 MB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to check your JVM version (32- or 64-bit):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can try on the command line:

Code:
java -d64 version

If it's not a 64-bit version, you'll get a message that looks like:

Code:
This Java instance does not support a 64-bit JVM. Please install the desired version.

In general, I recommend to install the 64-bit version of the JVM for Java 8.
RE: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.13 Beta Released (text line selection / 3D viewport sync.)
Bug report:

*Anyone also experiencing that CTRL+X doesn't work in the 3D editor?
*Kinda strange is the behaviour tha after closing a file in the 3D editor with "Close" in the parts tree window and actually vanishing from the 3D and Text editor it cannot be deleted in the explorer telling that the file is open in the SE java platform. You have to actually close LDPE to be able to delete the file.
LEGO ergo sum
RE: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.13 Beta Released (text line selection / 3D viewport sync.)
I have a weird problem, sometimes newly created surfaces or lines disappear. Not yet sure of the exact way to reproduce this, but basically it's
open a file/create a bunch of elements/save file. If you look at the file with LDview the newly created elements are not there - but they still appear in 3D view. Now select on one these elements in 3D, then "show selection in text editor". Nothing appears there. Come back to 3D view... all the new elements have vanished!
One question - how do I check LDPE version I have? I know it's not the latest, but I can't find any "about" or similar... Thanks to JC Tchang I found it in error log. So... I was using 0.8.10b
(2016-05-11, 17:05)Willy Tschager Wrote: *Kinda strange is the behaviour tha after closing a file in the 3D editor with "Close" in the parts tree window and actually vanishing from the 3D and Text editor it cannot be deleted in the explorer telling that the file is open in the SE java platform. You have to actually close LDPE to be able to delete the file.

I created an issue for this bug!
(2016-05-12, 9:29)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: So... I was using 0.8.10b

For older version, I need the error log to further investigate what was going on :)
I really recommend you to upgrade to version 0.8.14. It is a bug fix release and repairs fourteen bugs ;)
(2016-05-13, 12:38)Nils Schmidt Wrote:
(2016-05-12, 9:29)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: So... I was using 0.8.10b

For older version, I need the error log to further investigate what was going on Smile
I really recommend you to upgrade to version 0.8.14. It is a bug fix release and repairs fourteen bugs Wink

OK, I'll update and try again Wink
Locked files / random colours / version number
(2016-05-11, 17:05)Willy Tschager Wrote: Kinda strange is the behaviour tha after closing a file in the 3D editor with "Close" in the parts tree window and actually vanishing from the 3D and Text editor it cannot be deleted in the explorer telling that the file is open in the SE java platform. You have to actually close LDPE to be able to delete the file.

I was able to reproduce this issue and there will be another bug fix release this week.
The release will include the "Randomise Colour for Selection" feature, too.
Additionally, I improved the 3D render performance a little bit and put the version number in the window title.
RE: Locked files / random colours / version number
A little quirck: if I zoom in very very close on a part to work on a minute detail, it becomes very dark as if it was obscured by the shadow of my eye!

And a problem: using unificator / snap on subfiles sometimes eats triangles...
(2016-05-16, 18:42)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: A little quirck: if I zoom in very very close on a part to work on a minute detail, it becomes very dark as if it was obscured by the shadow of my eye!

Just double-click on the screen once it becomes dark.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2016-05-16, 19:23)Willy Tschager Wrote:
(2016-05-16, 18:42)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: A little quirck: if I zoom in very very close on a part to work on a minute detail, it becomes very dark as if it was obscured by the shadow of my eye!

Just double-click on the screen once it becomes dark.

w.

Curious to know why and how, but it works!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »