Rules and procedures for the Official Model Repository - OMR

The Steering Committee has worked out the following rules for the OMR:

* The OMR located at omr.ldraw.org is linked from the homepage via a link named "Models"
* The OMR is named "official" because it contains only LDraw replicas of sets (and their submodels) released by the LEGO Group. MOCs or fixes/changes to official models must not be uploaded.
* The OMR hosts the actual LDraw file. Links to external model files aren't allowed.
* The OMR hosts only models that are in line with the LDraw.org Contributor Agreement and contain the "0 !LICENSE Redistributable under CCAL version 2.0 : see CAreadme.txt" statement.
* The models must respect the Official Model Repository (OMR) Specification Version 1.0.3. It is at the OMR-admins (or anybody else) discretion to "OMRize" models in case they don't - granted that they obey to the LDraw.org Contributor Agreement.
* All file manipulations are handled by the OMR-admin. There is no submission through users.
* The user (Model author) uploads the model to the LDraw forum and if there was a public discussion the admin mirrors it to the OMR 7 days (or later) after the last post in this discussion. For the event there hasn't been any discussion the upload should be done 7 days (or later) after the initial post. After the upload is done, the model file shall be deleted, so that the forum doesn't clutter that mutch.
* Updates of files made after the first official release should get a history line, which states the date, author and a short description of the change.

Willy Tschager
On behalf of the LDraw.org Steering Committee
LEGO ergo sum
Re: Rules and procedures for the Official Model Repository - OMR
Nice to see some guidelines Smile

If someone could send the current OMR files, I can add them to the OMR site. Or do I just have to crawl through the forum and mark all of the added sets so the posts can be deleted?

That leads me to the following: who is/are going to be the 'OMR-admin'? Just me? Not me at all? PT admin?

Also, I've made a small update to the website a few weeks ago that implements subthemes. I figured that could be useful. Any other requests (aside from that I have to change MR to OMR again)?
Merlijn Wissink Wrote:If someone could send the current OMR files, I can add them to the OMR site. Or do I just have to crawl through the forum and mark all of the added sets so the posts can be deleted?

Most of them are marked by myself, where I have affirmed the inclusion in the AIOI. I'm gonna delete them, but it will take time.

Merlijn Wissink Wrote:That leads me to the following: who is/are going to be the 'OMR-admin'? Just me? Not me at all? PT admin?

It is my understanding that the admin hat is yours, but it would be wise to add some other people - just in case.

w.

Attached Files
.zip   Models.zip (Size: 4.27 MB / Downloads: 0)
LEGO ergo sum
Willy Tschager Wrote:* The OMR located at omr.ldraw.org is linked from the homepage via a link named "Models"

Willy, I can see the "Models" link only on some sub-pages e.g. http://www.ldraw.org/article/226.html, but not on the front page http://www.ldraw.org/
Must the set be in a "neutral" position, or can it be displayed with a bit more "life" in it.

If yes, I have a lot of files to submit.
That's actually an interesting question. I personally position everything 'semi-neutral'. I position individual parts like they are shown in the instructions/images, but I position all submodels neutral. If that makes sense...

Anyway, it's an interesting question. But, in my opinion it doesn't matter that much as long as it's easy to change the position by using submodels.
It works fine for me...
OK, Ctrl+F5 did the job...
I'd say as long as it is a render everything goes. Once more this is not the PT.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
A little thing I was wondering: should OMR files have this line:
Code:
0 !LDRAW_ORG Unofficial_Model
or this line:
Code:
0 !LDRAW_ORG Model
When they are uploaded to the forum the are obviously "unofficial" once you checked them and uploaded to the OMR they become a 0 !LDRAW_ORG Model.

Merlijn are you able to provide me with a .zip of all your models once you are in full swing?

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Well, I already thought so, but I started to doubt since some models in your .zip file are 'unofficial_model' and others are not.

Quote:Merlijn are you able to provide me with a .zip of all your models once you are in full swing?

Do you mean a zip of the models I'm going to upload? Or do you mean like if I'm able to provide a zip file of all the models on the website at a certain point in the future?
What do you think? Allow double models or not?
An example: Damien uploaded a lot of Architecture models, but for some of these sets there was already a file made by another user. I can either upload Damien's version too, or skip it.

So, what would be the best? Allow 'double' models, so same mode from different authors. Or keep it at 1 file per model?
1 per and first to post (including Lugnet) but I recuse myself from this debate because my models are some of the ones in question.
I would tend to allow double models, as they might be different on secondary criteria such as stepping, submodel structure, etc... I don't think that we'll see a flood of duplicate models, and if this should happen we could then make rules more strict.
I wouldn't allow double models. I have the feelings no that this will clutter the library and finally we will have another loose collection of models like the already exist in the WWW.

/Max
1 model-policy. First come first served. That's what the:

Quote:... history line, which states the date, author and a short description of the change.

is for.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Either allow duplicates, or define some rules for replacement. If i see all the models with missing this missing that etc., i cannot understand how to replace them by a "better" version from a different user? Not to speak of the scenery of the model, there are a lot of different approaches... the first one is not necessarily of the best "quality". IMO this could lead to a "quick and dirty" release of models.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »