Changes in install path

Changes in install path
As I said in an earlier post, I'm trying to get back up to speed with LDraw and in addition I'm on a "virgin" system (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) so I'm installing everything fresh.

I used the latest AIOI (2015-1) after which I used LDView to update my parts.

So far so good. Today I needed LSynth constraints to create a string. Somehow that didn't get installed with my AIOI (I didn't do a full install, but I only remember leaving out Pov-RAY).
Anyway, easy enough following the excellent tutorials on Holly-Wood. That is, until I tried to install the extra parts and couldn't find my part library. I have since located it under C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw, but it would be nice to see this updated in the tutorials

I have also downloaded the latest MLCad.ini file and modified it as per the instructions in the same tutorial (http://www.holly-wood.it/lsynth/tutorial-en.html). I have indiated LSynth is located at
%PATH = "C:\Program Files (x86)\LDraw\LSynth\bin\lsynthcp.exe" (commas because of the "gap" in the name)
and added the following line to the scan order list:
7 = Show <LDRAWDIR>Unofficial\LSynth
which corresponds to the location I have unpacked the helper files
C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\Unofficial\LSynth

I have then saved the MLCad.ini and placed it next to MLCad.exe in the installation folder.

Next up I have told MLCad to rescan the parts list and I have created a new part tree entry for LSynth.

However, the helper files do not show up in the part tree and MLCad shows all LSynth commands greyed out.

What did I do wrong?
Re: Changes in install path
Jetro de Château Wrote:As I said in an earlier post, I'm trying to get back up to speed with LDraw and in addition I'm on a "virgin" system (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) so I'm installing everything fresh.

I used the latest AIOI (2015-1) after which I used LDView to update my parts.

So far so good. Today I needed LSynth constraints to create a string. Somehow that didn't get installed with my AIOI (I didn't do a full install, but I only remember leaving out Pov-RAY).
Anyway, easy enough following the excellent tutorials on Holly-Wood. That is, until I tried to install the extra parts and couldn't find my part library. I have since located it under C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw, but it would be nice to see this updated in the tutorials

Your right, I'll add a note to the AIOI tutorial.

Jetro de Château Wrote:I have also downloaded the latest MLCad.ini file and modified it as per the instructions in the same tutorial (http://www.holly-wood.it/lsynth/tutorial-en.html). I have indiated LSynth is located at
%PATH = "C:\Program Files (x86)\LDraw\LSynth\bin\lsynthcp.exe" (commas because of the "gap" in the name)
and added the following line to the scan order list:
7 = Show <LDRAWDIR>Unofficial\LSynth
which corresponds to the location I have unpacked the helper files
C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\Unofficial\LSynth

I have then saved the MLCad.ini and placed it next to MLCad.exe in the installation folder.

Next up I have told MLCad to rescan the parts list and I have created a new part tree entry for LSynth.

However, the helper files do not show up in the part tree and MLCad shows all LSynth commands greyed out.

What did I do wrong?

Basically two things have changed. The AIOI now copies the LSynth parts to "LDraw\Unofficial\Parts" but that shouldn't be a problem since you installed it manually. The real problem is that MLCad 3.5 now respects the UAC and suspects the MLCad.ini in:

%AppData%\Roaming\Ing. Michael Lachmann\MLCad

if no .ini is found it looks tinto the program folder with the .exe. Since the AIOI copied his version to Appdata MLCad loads that version. I'll correct the tutorial asap after the AIOI 2015-02 is shipped which now comes also a feature that allows you selecting the location for the LDraw root.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Willy Tschager Wrote:Basically two things have changed. The AIOI now copies the LSynth parts to "LDraw\Unofficial\Parts" but that shouldn't be a problem since you installed it manually. The real problem is that MLCad 3.5 now respects the UAC and suspects the MLCad.ini in:

if no .ini is found it looks tinto the program folder with the .exe. Since the AIOI copied his version to Appdata MLCad loads that version. I'll correct the tutorial asap after the AIOI 2015-02 is shipped which now comes also a feature that allows you selecting the location for the LDraw root.

w.
I copied the new modified mlcad.ini file to
Now I can see my LSynth helpe files.
Thanks!
I shouted "victory" too fast.

I have been able to insert several helpers (LSynth Constraint parts) to generate a 9V/PF cable, but the LSynth options in the Extras menu are still grayed out (and of course also the corresponding icons on the Expert bar).

Something is still not right...
...maybe it's time to try LDCad flexible part generation - I guess you won't regret it Wink
could you post the Lsynth section of your MLCad.ini file in Appdata and also make sure that no other copies of the ini are on your disk.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
+100 Wink
Hadn't got so far in the advanced tutorial yet - will skip straight to it!
Willy Tschager Wrote:I'll correct the tutorial asap after the AIOI 2015-02 is shipped ...

I fixed the initial section of the LSynth tutorial.

Drop me a line if there is still something wrong.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Thanks - I've given it a quick read and will follow the steps this weekend, just to ensure everything works as expected.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »