Hiding parts from the part list in LPUB

Hiding parts from the part list in LPUB
I'm trying to get back into the game and running into all sorts of issues I thought I knew...

I'm building a WeDo model and I'm having some issues with cables and strings. I'm trying to add a PF connector in a step without is showing up in the parts list. I thought I needed to ghost the element to do so, but LPub still shows it. What could I be doing wrong?

Another issue is with the string. Rather than show a 41L string in the parts list (which makes it way to big) I would like to add an image of a curled up string to the parts list and a generated string (with bends etc.) in the model. I assume the procedure is similar...
Re: Hiding parts from the part list in LPUB
I think this is exactly what you need. Smile

In short:

To hide a part in the PLI (your first question):
Code:
0 !LPUB PLI BEGIN IGN
0 // This won't show the part in PLI, but if it is a submodel, it will generate building instructions.
0 !LPUB PLI END

And this will change the part with another part in the PLI (your second question):
Code:
0 !LPUB PLI BEGIN SUB new_part.ldr 0
0 !LPUB PART BEGIN IGN
0 //Part you want to replace.
0 !LPUB PLI END
0 !LPUB PART END

I don't know if there's an LDraw shortcut for a curled up string, otherwise youll have to make it yourself.
Thanks!!

I haven't found any curled up string part (yet), but I can use an 11L string image instead of the 41L image - as long as it's a string with studs I'm fine as there's only one in the set.

I had some issues because I somehow got a lead 0 on the line of the part I wanted out of the PLI, but inside the model. I solved that and in the process found that this will also work:

Code:
0 !LPUB PLI BEGIN SUB 76384.dat 0
1 0 -2 -91 -170 0 1 0 -1 0 0 0 0 1 6141.dat
0 !LPUB PLI END
Hi Jetro,

In LPub3D there is also new functionality to substitute parts in the PLI/BOM. This functionality addresses precisely the second scenario you presented:

Jetro de Cháteau Wrote:Another issue is with the string. Rather than show a 41L string in the parts list (which makes it way to big) I would like to add an image of a curled up string to the parts list and a generated string (with bends etc.) in the model. I assume the procedure is similar...

Basically, if you already have a substitute part - let's say a shortcut for a PF motor with a nice rolled up cable and connector - then you can add the modeled part and substitute part in the substitute part list available in the Configuration menu under 'Edit BOM/PLI Substitute Part List.' Once added, LPub3D will use the substitute part for the BOM/PLI rendering.

Cheers,
Couldn't find the entry. Then decided to check for the version number of the program and found the update utility. Now I have the function. Thanks! It's a really useful feature and this way I only need to do it once.

On a side note, it would be nice if all LDraw dependant programs offered to install by default to the Programs/LDraw/%appname% folder in the same way the AIOI does. It help to keep tings tidy and avoids ending up with duplicate programs if a "novel" user decides to update a program and simply goes with the default settings.

The same goes for the offer to download the parts library and unofficial parts.
Hi Jetro,

Very well.

Jetro de Cháteau Wrote:...it would be nice if all LDraw dependant programs offered to install by default to the Programs/LDraw/%appname% folder in the same way the AIOI does.
I agree with your suggestion here. I'll work with Willy to understand how I can detect automatically the AIOI install directory when updating LPub3D. LPub3D will automatically detect it's install parameters upon update if it was originally installed using a native distribution - i.e. a distribution from sourceforge.net.

Jetro de Cháteau Wrote:The same goes for the offer to download the parts library and unofficial parts.
This may not be appropriate for all.

LPub3D uses it's unofficial parts archive file (the one you are allowed to refresh from the LPub3D menu) to 'consolidate' part content from all search directories defined for LPub3D. The modified archive is then loaded into memory and cached to enable the 3D Viewer to correctly render models using parts from any of the defined search directories - i.e. custom libraries, parts, fade parts etc...

I don't think it would be prudent to store this archive in a shared location as it is modified and used in a proprietary manner by LPub3D. However, to avoid confusion, I may change the name of the archive once written to disk after refresh download.

Cheers,
I've come up with a strange issue. I'm trying to show a simple M-Motor instead of motor+cable assembly file and for some reason, even though the surrounding parts are all grey, the motor turns up black. Any idea what may be going on?

Code:
0 !LPUB MULTI_STEP BEGIN
1 71 70 -46 -80 -1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 -1 4519.dat
1 71 70 -46 -80 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 3713.dat
0 !LPUB PLI BEGIN SUB 58120.dat 0
1 71 60 -66 -80 0 0 -1 0 1 0 1 0 0 pf_motor_m.ldr
0 !LPUB PLI END

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

'cause you set the substituted part in color 0 = black Wink
should be
Code:
0 !LPUB PLI BEGIN SUB 58120.dat 71
D'oh!
I saw the 0 the first time I used the command and never thought about what it might mean. I used it for string, which is black, so of course not worked. Philo to the rescue again Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »