[LDPartEditor] 0.8.29 Beta Released

RE: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.29 Beta Released
Quote:Could you please describe your work process, Philo? 
I first identify the triangles that will receive the pattern, and refine them by splitting them. This creates quads that are difficult to work with, so in the text window I run unrectifier to convert them into triangles. Then I color all the triangles that more or less match the pattern, and finally adjust vertices and flip triangle pairs to get smooth curves.
In order to move vertices without too much distorting the shape, I first orient the manipulator: selec the vertex I want to move, 'A' to move manipulator to the vertex, then "adjust manipulator to nearest face normal". Then I adjust the vertex. Of course sometimes I need to refine mesh even further to get something smooth enough. Note that if I don't want a full triangle split (that generates 6 triangles) I add an edge line on the side I want to split in halves, then split that edge thus splitting the nearby triangle. Then I remove the extra edge lines...

Quote:I made an atempt to make the pattern on the feet in this part using only one picture.
I used an uncoloured subfile as a"canvas", to have something to draw on.
Next step would be to start replacing all the surfaces, one by one, so that I don't loose the shape of the foot.
Your method looks very interesting too (and maybe you started from a better image? what you did looks a bit better than my part...). Questions is, how do you draw lines on the mesh? I think there is something I don't know about LDPE here...

Quote:I still find it difficult to move a "new" vertice along the edge of a tri/quad. Moving a vertice on the surface is easy.
Here, I had to use merge to edge/face a lot.
...actually I think this anwers more or less my question above... I hoped for something more powerful, allowing to really draw on the mesh. This would be tremendously useful! (I faintly remember that LDForge had a tools more or less allowing this, need to check)

To move vertice along an edge: place vertex "close enough" to the edge, then Merge to nearest edge. 'A' to move manipulator to vertex. Then "Move manipulator to the nearest edge". Since manipulator was already on the edge it doesn't move, but its z axis gets aligned with edge, allowing to move things along the edge.

Quote:How do I use the line intersection tool?
easy, just select 2 (or more) edge lines, then click the icon. Vertices are generated
- exactly on intersection(s) if lines really meet
- on the point of one line that is closest to the other line. At first I found this choice a bit weird but it makes a lot of sense since mathematically (considering rounding errors) chance that two lines EXACTLY meet in space is 0...

Quote:How am I suposed to use the new dialogs under the Merge/Split button? (Set XYZ/Translate/Rotate/Scale)
They seem to be connected to the Manipulator, but I cant figure out how to use them.
I'll try to write something about this... hopefully tomorrow.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.29 Beta Released - by Philippe Hurbain - 2017-03-12, 19:48
"Ytruder" is done - by Nils Schmidt - 2017-03-28, 22:17
RE: "Ytruder" is done - by Philippe Hurbain - 2017-03-29, 7:44