Help! Stud.io is a mess and PartDesigner is janky! What do I do?

RE: Help! Stud.io is a mess and PartDesigner is janky! What do I do?
(2022-04-01, 18:46)Violet Barrett Wrote: Keep in mind that the average Bionicle digital MOCist is not the average Lego or Technic MOCist - there's a high need for easy building, posing, and rendering, which LDCad is not necessarily designed for. The usual user who does the kind of stuff that the Biopack is made for is not likely to use other LDraw programs, and if they do, it's more of a means to an end than anything else. 

Yes, Studio understandably appeals to designers and MOCers, especially those most accustomed to working in real plastic. It's a cool program and feels very accessible, yet powerful. However, it does have its limitations, and unfortunately, once you run up against those limitations, you tend to reach a hard stop on how far you can extend your modeling ability.

However, I would suggest that LDCad actually offers much easier building and posing, if not also rendering, than Studio does, simply because of its advanced capabilities. You have to get past the initial learning curve, sure, but in my experience, it's really not that much trickier to learn than Studio—just different, and a little quirky.

That's not so say that everyone should switch to LDCad; for some, Studio is perfectly sufficient. But for those whose models are so advanced as to exceed Studio's capability, then it's not such a big step to move into LDCad.

p.s.: LDCad is also not inaccessible to Mac users like me. It works flawlessly under Wine, and that's not too hard to set up.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help! Stud.io is a mess and PartDesigner is janky! What do I do? - by N. W. Perry - 2022-04-02, 3:28