Using downloaded .dat files in BL Studio

RE: Using downloaded .dat files in BL Studio
(2024-09-26, 20:53)Lawford Wrote: Thanks Chris,

I'll try out the Part Designer next time, I didn't know that was a possibility. Will it automatically save the parts to the right Custom Parts folders or do you have to choose them? 

As I understand it, Studio has not figured out a way to connect Duplo parts properly within Studio. Therefore the Duplo parts that are already in Studio are hidden till they figure this out. This in turn causes a problem when we upload the same part into the Custom Parts folders and is the reason for having to rename the files for the parts to show up. Studio will automatically check the Main folder first where it will find the hidden part so therefore it will not show up.

A couple of examples of files I had to rename are 6377 and 3437.

Yes, it will (at least usually) put everything in the correct folder. Just be careful though not to click too fast, otherwise Stud.io will assign your part a random name which you might find hard to track down in both your OS's folders and your custom parts palette.

Regarding the Duplo parts you mentioned, this is quite interesting indeed... I didn't know Stud.io had 'hidden' parts available. I know they have custom connection points in the database (for minifig arm joint e.g.) which you can't access by their regular user interface (though by some easy tricks Big Grin ). So I really don't think that connection points are causing this issue.

If the part does exist, this does of cause create issues. I had a similar problem when trying to insert the old 8x8 plate with grid WITHOUT center hole into Stud.io, because the newer version already existed. Thus far the only solution seems to be: Rename your custom part to something else (and possibly all required sub-parts, if necessary).  I would advise against modifying your Stud.io installation folders, because the next update to Stud.io will likely delete your work.

Regarding the hidden Duplo parts you mentioned, I will look into it and post an update if I find anything noteworthy.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Using downloaded .dat files in BL Studio - by Chris Böhnke - 2024-09-29, 21:17