0 NAME and 0 FILE: to sync or not to sync?

0 NAME and 0 FILE: to sync or not to sync?
Kind of a random and trivial inquiry, but one I keep going back and forth on…

In model files, do you prefer that an MPD filename (the 0 FILE meta) always match the—well, the file name, i.e. the 0 Name meta?

LDCad, for example, offers the option to sync these two metas by default, and it's also required by the OMR spec. But apart from that, are there reasons why these two entries should or should not always match?

Couple of points I can think of:
  • The 0 FILE meta accepts a filename as a parameter. If this filename is always the same as the 0 NAME meta, why would it need to appear again as a parameter for 0 FILE?
  • I've always understood 0 NAME to be the filename as it's saved in my system. At least, that's how it is for parts, including whether it's saved in the s/ or 48/ directories.  But for the main subfile of an MPD, it's expected that the filename be "main.ldr", which is not how the parent file is saved. (I know they're different, but the parent file is really nothing but an empty wrapper, and it doesn't have its own header other than that of the main subfile.)

What do others do? Does it ever break anything, other than maybe OMR compliance, if these entries don't match?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
0 NAME and 0 FILE: to sync or not to sync? - by N. W. Perry - 2024-05-20, 19:32