prototype starship (hard sci-fi)

prototype starship (hard sci-fi)
A prototype starship, using the Alcubierre-White Warp Drive Proposal.  ;-)  

Franklin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.mpd   ring drive.mpd (Size: 14.68 KB / Downloads: 14)
RE: prototype starship (hard sci-fi)
(2020-05-10, 19:34)Franklin W. Cain Wrote: A prototype starship, using the Alcubierre-White Warp Drive Proposal.  ;-)  

Franklin

I saw this on FB. Totally cool.
Your spaceship looks very nice, I like the front "shield" protecting the central parts!
Version 2 -- Improved (beefed up) the Ring Drives.  

Franklin

.mpd   ring drive, v2.mpd (Size: 14.38 KB / Downloads: 8)
(2020-05-12, 1:56)Franklin W. Cain Wrote: Version 2 -- Improved (beefed up) the Ring Drives.  

Franklin
Great too! But I somhow miss the detail I preferred on the first version, the ingots used to texture the smaller rings Wink
(2020-05-12, 8:35)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Great too! But I somhow miss the detail I preferred on the first version, the ingots used to texture the smaller rings Wink

Thank you, but the first version used a non-existent part that can not be "crafted" (i.e. modded) from other, existing parts -- it uses a 1x2 plate with click-hinges at both ends. 

Both versions also need a 4-L Technic beam, but the two needed can be modded from surplus beams. 

Both versions also need a 40-L Technic axle, but this can be creatively replaced by two other axles of great length, carefully arranged to meet inside the octagonal "sphere" (the Engineering module).  

Thank you for the feedback.  ;-)  Franklin
(2020-05-13, 2:37)Franklin W. Cain Wrote: Thank you, but the first version used a non-existent part that can not be "crafted" (i.e. modded) from other, existing parts -- it uses a 1x2 plate with click-hinges at both ends. 

Same as Philippe, I prefer the first version with "thin" circles.
You can use 14419 or a combination of 18649/ 61252 (X2). Probably other solutions exist, ask to HAL. Smile 

Version 2.a  ;-) 
Found a way (that I liked) to restore the greeblization of the rings. 

Also added a "cage" of (transparent) Technic pieces, to aid in keeping the physical model stable, if I ever try to build this thing in Real Life.  

Franklin

.mpd   ring drive, v2.mpd (Size: 19.84 KB / Downloads: 2)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »