Stickers with round or sharp edges?

Stickers with round or sharp edges?
Hi all,

Currently, I am trying my best to create the stickers for set 10266 (Apollo 11 Lunar Lander).
I do this to learn to work with LDPC and LDPE :-)

Since I do not own the model (yet) I can only judge online pictures and reviews, but it is my opinion that the edges are round.

Do we need to mimic this or would sharp (straight) edge be good too?
Currently, some stickers have this feature in the official library.
I could be mistaken, but I think most stickers in the newer sets nowadays have rounded edges whereas in the past most stickers had straight edges?

If they must be round, would it be an idea to create a submodel for the bottom box, since a sticker is, in fact, a box that is 0,25 LDU thick?

Attached is my first attempt at sticker nr. 5 of this set.

Also, what would be the part number for the sticker or how do we name it?

Jaco

Attached Files
.dat   ST05.dat (Size: 15.12 KB / Downloads: 1)
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
RE: Stickers with round or sharp edges?
(2019-06-16, 19:33)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Hi all,

Currently, I am trying my best to create the stickers for set 10266 (Apollo 11 Lunar Lander).
I do this to learn to work with LDPC and LDPE :-)

Since I do not own the model (yet) I can only judge online pictures and reviews, but it is my opinion that the edges are round.

Do we need to mimic this or would sharp (straight) edge be good too?
Currently, some stickers have this feature in the official library.
I could be mistaken, but I think most stickers in the newer sets nowadays have rounded edges whereas in the past most stickers had straight edges?

If they must be round, would it be an idea to create a submodel for the bottom box, since a sticker is, in fact, a box that is 0,25 LDU thick?

Attached is my first attempt at sticker nr. 5 of this set.

Also, what would be the part number for the sticker or how do we name it?

Jaco

Official Library Specification for Sticker Parts
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
(2019-06-16, 19:33)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: If they must be round, would it be an idea to create a submodel for the bottom box, since a sticker is, in fact, a box that is 0,25 LDU thick?
A submodel is useless (except if you have several stickers of the same size) as it would not scale properly with different size stickers (the rounded corners would be larger on larger stickers).
...I still think that sharp corners is OK here...
(2019-06-17, 5:31)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: A submodel is useless (except if you have several stickers of the same size) as it would not scale properly with different size stickers (the rounded corners would be larger on larger stickers).
...I still think that sharp corners is OK here...

OK, I see. However, there are more stickers of the same size, not only in this set but many others (especially Friends).
Stickers that fit tiles 1x2, 1x3, 2x2, 2x3, 2x4 are very common, are they not?
Same goes for stickers for bricks 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, etc. All have round corners.

But if sharp is OK, then should we decide on a standard?

Also, a sticker is not exactly the size of the tile or brick it supposed to attach to.
Would a margin of 1 LDU be enough for scale? So this sticker would be 38x38 LDU (to fit the surface of a 2x2 tile that is 40x40 LDU).

Who can answer my other question on partnumber or name?
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2019-06-17, 5:40)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Who can answer my other question on partnumber or name?

https://www.ldraw.org/article/339.html

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2019-06-17, 5:57)Willy Tschager Wrote: https://www.ldraw.org/article/339.html

w.

OK, sorry for my ignorance. I should have known there is an article on that Blush 
Thanks for pointing it out.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2019-06-17, 5:40)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Also, a sticker is not exactly the size of the tile or brick it supposed to attach to.
Would a margin of 1 LDU be enough for scale? So this sticker would be 38x38 LDU (to fit the surface of a 2x2 tile that is 40x40 LDU).

It depends on the sticker. Some of them have 38x38 LDU, others have 37x37 LDU und the next is only 36.5x36.5 LDU for a 2x2 tile. I would model them as they are.

Anyway I'm fine with sharp corners. I think nobody will recognize a rounded area of sticker with 0.4 mm -> 1 LDU, when starring at a whole model.
(2019-06-18, 18:06)Max Martin Richter Wrote: It depends on the sticker.

I think nobody will recognize a rounded area of sticker with 0.4 mm -> 1 LDU...."

I would say it depends on the part the sticker should be placed at.
I really don't like these two, now that the part have been reshaped.

https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...200d01.dat
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...200d02.dat
(2019-06-18, 18:34)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I would say it depends on the part the sticker should be placed at.
I really don't like these two, now that the part have been reshaped.

https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...200d01.dat
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...200d02.dat

That's a good point. Never thought for this issue...
(2019-06-18, 18:06)Max Martin Richter Wrote: It depends on the sticker. Some of them have 38x38 LDU, others have 37x37 LDU und the next is only 36.5x36.5 LDU for a 2x2 tile. I would model them as they are.

Anyway I'm fine with sharp corners. I think nobody will recognize a rounded area of sticker with 0.4 mm -> 1 LDU, when starring at a whole model.

OK, so no round corners on stickers then and 1 LDU bleeding around.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »