Using minifig chains

Using minifig chains
Hi all,

I have a model that features 2 minifig chains, one gold with 5 Links and 2 with Light Bluish Grey with 21 links.
These:
[Image: 92338.png][Image: 30104.png]

We had some discussion earlier about the short one here here https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-20396.html where Philo points out that the short one is probably better modeled by hand rather the LDCad do the curves and calculations.

The template in LDCad only has 4 links. I am unsure how to add a fifth, let alone make one of 21 links.

I'll try to model by hand, but any help there would be appreciated ;-)

Perhaps a template with both ends can be made with 5 and 21 links?
Are there any other lengths? I thought there was another available, but might be mistaken.

Perhaps add this one too, while we are at it?
https://brickset.com/parts/design-15532
[Image: 6055308.jpg]
Thanks!
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
RE: Using minifig chains
There _is_ a 5 links templates with studs (minifigChainStuds). If you pull one end it can be extended to any length (but even number of links doesn't work fine as-is.

Quote:Perhaps add this one too, while we are at it?
https://brickset.com/parts/design-15532
Good idea, as I am currently knee-deep in chains...
(2017-09-20, 10:00)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: There _is_ a 5 links templates with studs (minifigChainStuds). If you pull one end it can be extended to any length (but even number of links doesn't work fine as-is.

Hmm, OK. I cannot seem to find it though.

I can only find minifigChain (4 links), but saw, now that you pointed it out, just to move one path point to increases its length :-)

I'll try some modeling...
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2017-09-20, 10:40)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Hmm, OK. I cannot seem to find it though.
Ah, Roland sent me new templates to validate Power Functions 2.0 templates, chain template with studs was probably included with that!
(2017-09-20, 11:07)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2017-09-20, 10:40)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Hmm, OK. I cannot seem to find it though.
Ah, Roland sent me new templates to validate Power Functions 2.0 templates, chain template with studs was probably included with that!

I tweaked the minifig chain (for better link filling) and added one with studs for the upcoming 1.6a version.

Attached is the new chain with studs template.

.ldr   minifigChainStuds.ldr (Size: 1.41 KB / Downloads: 7)

Place it in
%appdata%\LDCad\templates\path
while the program is closed.
(2017-09-20, 17:09)Roland Melkert Wrote:
(2017-09-20, 11:07)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Ah, Roland sent me new templates to validate Power Functions 2.0 templates, chain template with studs was probably included with that!

I tweaked the minifig chain (for better link filling) and added one with studs for the upcoming 1.6a version.

Place it in

Ah, great! This really works better than the chain with only links.
Thanks a lot!
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2017-09-20, 17:09)Roland Melkert Wrote:
(2017-09-20, 11:07)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Ah, Roland sent me new templates to validate Power Functions 2.0 templates, chain template with studs was probably included with that!

Place it in

Does the template take momentum into account? E.g. what if the chain is moving?

Well, anyone really serious about animation is probably using professional tools.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »