Photogrammetry

Photogrammetry
Hi all,

I'm currently experimenting with photogrammetry (Agisoft PhotoScan) to author complicated shape of lego parts.

Here is what I've acheived so far with Mickey's head:
[Image: wwaxdk.png]
[Image: 2rzqk21.png]

There is a bit of mess around the nose but I'm quite happy with the raw conversion from photos to 3D mesh.
It's a first try but I'm pretty sure I can improve it.

A question for Philo: is this close to what you get from you 3D scanner? Do you think it could be workable to create a ldraw part?

As Lego part are made of shiny plastic I had to put some flour on the part to allow the software to track the geometry. This is maybe why I get this bumpy surface. If someone has a better idea, feel free!
RE: Photogrammetry
Hi Damien, 

Quality of your result is pretty much the same as what i get with laser scanner. Remains the lengthy process of mesh smoothing, reduction, edge sharpening, etc...
As for shiny plastic I use talcum that may be finer than floor, but some noise is inherent to the processy anyway...
(2016-07-23, 6:57)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Hi Damien, 

Quality of your result is pretty much the same as what i get with laser scanner. Remains the lengthy process of mesh smoothing, reduction, edge sharpening, etc...
As for shiny plastic I use talcum that may be finer than floor, but some noise is inherent to the processy anyway...

Is there a type of paint that would produce better results? This is interesting.
(2016-07-22, 22:43)Damien Roux Wrote: I'm currently experimenting with photogrammetry (Agisoft PhotoScan) to author complicated shape of lego parts.
Hi Damien,
Any news about this?
(2016-08-31, 13:23)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2016-07-22, 22:43)Damien Roux Wrote: I'm currently experimenting with photogrammetry (Agisoft PhotoScan) to author complicated shape of lego parts.
Hi Damien,
Any news about this?

I kinda stop a bit due to lack of time, but I got very good results using a homemade turntable.

I still need to figure out how to properly photography the top and the bottom. As I don't have a tripod it is quite hard.

Then about the ldraw mesh creation, I still have difficulties to properly use meshlab...
I will try to get on it again and post the 3D mesh result.

But it is definitely a nice way to scan geometry without specific equipment.
Quote:I still have difficulties to properly use meshlab...
Yeah, not the most convenient tool. For most mesh rework I now use meshmixer. Does have a learning curve too, but I fint it much more palatable (and has lots of useful tools).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »