LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Photogrammetry
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I'm currently experimenting with photogrammetry (Agisoft PhotoScan) to author complicated shape of lego parts.

Here is what I've acheived so far with Mickey's head:
[Image: wwaxdk.png]
[Image: 2rzqk21.png]

There is a bit of mess around the nose but I'm quite happy with the raw conversion from photos to 3D mesh.
It's a first try but I'm pretty sure I can improve it.

A question for Philo: is this close to what you get from you 3D scanner? Do you think it could be workable to create a ldraw part?

As Lego part are made of shiny plastic I had to put some flour on the part to allow the software to track the geometry. This is maybe why I get this bumpy surface. If someone has a better idea, feel free!
Hi Damien, 

Quality of your result is pretty much the same as what i get with laser scanner. Remains the lengthy process of mesh smoothing, reduction, edge sharpening, etc...
As for shiny plastic I use talcum that may be finer than floor, but some noise is inherent to the processy anyway...
(2016-07-23, 6:57)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Damien, 

Quality of your result is pretty much the same as what i get with laser scanner. Remains the lengthy process of mesh smoothing, reduction, edge sharpening, etc...
As for shiny plastic I use talcum that may be finer than floor, but some noise is inherent to the processy anyway...

Is there a type of paint that would produce better results? This is interesting.
(2016-07-22, 22:43)Damien Roux Wrote: [ -> ]I'm currently experimenting with photogrammetry (Agisoft PhotoScan) to author complicated shape of lego parts.
Hi Damien,
Any news about this?
(2016-08-31, 13:23)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-07-22, 22:43)Damien Roux Wrote: [ -> ]I'm currently experimenting with photogrammetry (Agisoft PhotoScan) to author complicated shape of lego parts.
Hi Damien,
Any news about this?

I kinda stop a bit due to lack of time, but I got very good results using a homemade turntable.

I still need to figure out how to properly photography the top and the bottom. As I don't have a tripod it is quite hard.

Then about the ldraw mesh creation, I still have difficulties to properly use meshlab...
I will try to get on it again and post the 3D mesh result.

But it is definitely a nice way to scan geometry without specific equipment.
Quote:I still have difficulties to properly use meshlab...
Yeah, not the most convenient tool. For most mesh rework I now use meshmixer. Does have a learning curve too, but I fint it much more palatable (and has lots of useful tools).