LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-12.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw.org Announcements (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-1.html)
+--- Thread: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available (/thread-23657.html)

LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Chris Dee - 2019-09-09

The 2019-02 LDraw Parts Update has been now been released. This adds 664 new files to the core library, including 572 new parts and 18 new primitives.

After discussion on this forum we have decided to stop releasing files representing LEGO part numbers for 'Physical_Colour' parts, as other automatically updated resources (such as BrickSet), provide a better source for this information. Included in this update are re-issued versions of many of the 'Physical_Colour' parts as obsoleted files. This technique prevents existing models (which may have used these part numbers) from breaking, but prevents the files from being presented in selection lists for the creation of new models. Special thanks are due to Willy Tschager (user Holly-Wood) for taking on the tedious task of re-working these files.

Thanks are of course due to all the part authors who created or corrected parts for this release. The small, but dedicated, band of reviewers also play an important role in keeping files moving through the Parts Tracker and deserve just as much credit. 

You can preview the new parts in 2019-02 here, and download the zip-file update or Windows install package here. Alternatively you can use the LDView menu option File | Check for Library Updates... to install the update.

There are still a significant number of 'problem' files which fail to meet our standards and have been left on the Parts Tracker for years. As a reminder, if these have remained untouched by the original author for three months, they are considered 'fair game' for any author to correct. We would welcome any effort to reduce this backlog.

This update is appearing slightly later than the end of August target I set myself, but hopefully demonstrates that a two-monthly update schedule is achievable. I expect to issue new updates towards the end of October and in December.

RE: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Orion Pobursky - 2019-09-09

(2019-09-09, 18:00)Chris Dee Wrote: This update is appearing slightly later than the end of August target I set myself, but hopefully demonstrates that a two-monthly update schedule is achievable. I expect to issue new updates towards the end of October and in December.

Thanks for the update Chris.

As to the above, I hope you're not trying to apologize in that statement (it sorta reads that way to me). All release are appreciated by me regardless of whatever artificial timeline you set for yourself. Thanks again.

RE: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Gerald Lasser - 2019-09-09

I will provide you the overview picture again.

RE: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Chris Dee - 2019-09-10

(2019-09-09, 22:48)Gerald Lasser Wrote: I will provide you the overview picture again.

Thank you - that would be most welcome.

RE: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Philippe Hurbain - 2019-09-10

Excellent, thanks Chris!

(2019-09-09, 18:00)Chris Dee Wrote: You can preview the new parts in 2019-02 here, and download the zip-file update or Windows install package here. Alternatively you can use the LDView menu option File | Check for Library Updates... to install the update.
Why does each and every part in preview show "(uncoloured)" after part name?
Edit: And it would be nice to have links to 3D-preview of all parts!

RE: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Philippe Hurbain - 2019-09-10

Announcement posted on Eurobricks and Facebook.

(2019-09-10, 5:59)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Excellent, thanks Chris!

Why does each and every part in preview show "(uncoloured)" after part name?
Edit: And it would be nice to have links to 3D-preview of all parts!

I think the script that generates this page has always done that, but clearly it is not correct for patterned parts. And, yes, I can look at including the 3D-preview link. Good idea.

RE: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Gerald Lasser - 2019-09-10

(2019-09-10, 4:55)Chris Dee Wrote: Thank you - that would be most welcome.

Here's the picture

I noticed that complete.zip contains an old ldconfig.ldr, dated beginning of 2018.

It contains the line:

0 !LDRAW_ORG Configuration UPDATE 2017-12-15

I think it should be updated with the new one from July?

0 !LDRAW_ORG Configuration UPDATE 2019-07-15

RE: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Roland Melkert - 2019-09-10

(2019-09-09, 18:00)Chris Dee Wrote: The 2019-02 LDraw Parts Update has been now been released.

I just discovered a problem in LDCad's part bin code that might be extra noticeable while using this new library due to all the new ~ parts.

as a result the "By category" branche of the bin might be (extra) messed up in means of missing and duplicate categories.

(2019-09-10, 20:55)Roland Melkert Wrote: I just discovered a problem in LDCad's part bin code that might be extra noticeable while using this new library due to all the new ~ parts.

as a result the "By category" branche of the bin might be (extra) messed up in means of missing and duplicate categories.

~ prefixed parts are not a new thing. What is different about the files in this update that is messing thing up?

(2019-09-10, 20:55)Roland Melkert Wrote: I just discovered a problem in LDCad's part bin code that might be extra noticeable while using this new library due to all the new ~ parts.

I just wanted to post this as well, I tried to find an old complete.zip, but I could not locate it to confirm my observation.

Good that you noticed it as well!

RE: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Roland Melkert - 2019-09-10

(2019-09-10, 21:23)Chris Dee Wrote: ~ prefixed parts are not a new thing. What is different about the files in this update that is messing thing up?

The bin, incorrectly, uses some categories including the prefix to generate the pbg rules.

As those are not the real categories it will find nothing resulting in an empty category bin group which will be hidden.

I never noticed it because there seem to be only a hand full of categories suffering from this problem, but with the new update a whole lot of parts using the prefix are added making the bug more noticeable.

You can fix it by manually editing the generated pbg files and remove the prefixes from the "include category " lines.

Just be aware this needs to be redone on each library change.

It will be fixed in 1.6d.

RE: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Philippe Hurbain - 2019-09-11

(2019-09-10, 20:30)Gerald Lasser Wrote: I noticed that complete.zip contains an old ldconfig.ldr, dated beginning of 2018.
It contains the line:
0 !LDRAW_ORG Configuration UPDATE 2017-12-15
I think it should be updated with the new one from July?
0 !LDRAW_ORG Configuration UPDATE 2019-07-15
I had not yet updated my library... issue confirmed!

RE: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Roland Melkert - 2019-09-12

(2019-09-10, 21:46)Roland Melkert Wrote: The bin, incorrectly, uses some categories including the prefix to generate the pbg rules.

FYI: I found the real problem and thought to share it as other software authors might run into the same problem.

Some parts have no category meta, my code then uses the first word of the description as the category.

It strips the leading  ~, _ or = when doing so.

But I did not realize those 'flags' could be combined.

So this goes wrong for the now many (previous few/or none) "~_foo" descriptions as it results into '_foo' which is not a real category hence the duplicate and empty bin cells

RE: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Chris Dee - 2019-09-13

(2019-09-12, 23:15)Roland Melkert Wrote: FYI: I found the real problem and thought to share it as other software authors might run into the same problem.

Some parts have no category meta, my code then uses the first word of the description as the category.

It strips the leading  ~, _ or = when doing so.

But I did not realize those 'flags' could be combined.

So this goes wrong for the now many (previous few/or none) "~_foo" descriptions as it results into '_foo' which is not a real category hence the duplicate and empty bin cells

If it going to cause problems, maybe we should re-assess whether these flags are allowed to be combined.

RE: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Philippe Hurbain - 2019-09-13

(2019-09-13, 4:52)Chris Dee Wrote: If it going to cause problems, maybe we should re-assess whether these flags are allowed to be combined.
Or we could force the few multi-prefix parts to have explicit !CATEGORY

RE: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Chris Dee - 2019-09-14

(2019-09-10, 9:35)Chris Dee Wrote: I think the script that generates this page has always done that, but clearly it is not correct for patterned parts. And, yes, I can look at including the 3D-preview link. Good idea.

I have removed the '(uncoloured)' labels from the preview pages.

Regarding the 3D view, I think this would be tricky because these pages show static images of, and download links, for a separately instantiated version of each part as it was released in the update, not the one in the official library. That way the pages always reflect what was released in that update, not a potential subsequent update to the part. So the dynamic image generation of the 3D viewer would need to refer to a complete LDraw library at that point in time. I am not sure it is worth the overhead of doing that.

RE: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Philippe Hurbain - 2019-09-14

Yes, but I don't think it's really relevant: part preview page is mostly used when the update is published, and at that time part in official library is the right one. And for later usage it doesn't matter much. So IMHO preview of current official part is fine.

RE: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Willy Tschager - 2019-09-17

Why is this in the Minifig category:

25516.dat - Minifig Crown with Bar 0.5L

I look through all the sets but it is always used as bar and never on a fig?

w.

RE: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Gerald Lasser - 2019-10-02

(2019-09-17, 9:54)Willy Tschager Wrote: Why is this in the Minifig category:

25516.dat - Minifig Crown with Bar 0.5L

I look through all the sets but it is always used as bar and never on a fig?

w.

That name might come from the first use in the angry birds sets

RE: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Gerald Lasser - 2019-10-02

(2019-09-10, 21:46)Roland Melkert Wrote: ...

It will be fixed in 1.6d.

Roand, when do you htink 1.6d will be out concerning the bin-fix

RE: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Roland Melkert - 2019-10-02

(2019-10-02, 21:39)Gerald Lasser Wrote: Roand, when do you htink 1.6d will be out concerning the bin-fix
Could be a couple of weeks as I first have to make a deadline concerning a work project

And I also want to include new snap info with the release, defining those always takes a big chunk of time.

But you can fix (most of) the problem in 1.6c by manually editing the pbg files located in
%appdata%/LDCad/partBin/default/cats

Remove all _, ~ and = characters from the
include category ....
lines

next change cats.pbg in the parent folder, like so:

change
kind=catList
into
kind=dirList

and change
storeGroupsIn=cats\
into
listGroupsIn=cats\

1.6d update will change cats.pbg back and trigger a regen of the cats folder content.

RE: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Chris Dee - 2019-10-03

(2019-10-02, 21:37)Gerald Lasser Wrote: That name might come from the first use in the angry birds sets

... and the LEGO name is 'MINI HAT NO. 17'.

RE: LDraw.org 2019-02 Parts Update Now Available - Gerald Lasser - 2019-10-03

(2019-10-02, 21:59)Roland Melkert Wrote: Could be a couple of weeks as I first have to make a deadline concerning a work project

And I also want to include new snap info with the release, defining those always takes a big chunk of time.

But you can fix (most of) the problem in 1.6c by manually editing the pbg files located in
%appdata%/LDCad/partBin/default/cats

Remove all _, ~ and = characters from the
include category ....
lines

next change cats.pbg in the parent folder, like so:

change
kind=catList
into
kind=dirList

and change
storeGroupsIn=cats\
into
listGroupsIn=cats\

1.6d update will change cats.pbg back and trigger a regen of the cats folder content.

Thanks a lot for the hints, will apply them and keep looking forward to 1.6d!