Part request: "Shupp XXL Train Wheels" (Third Party parts)

Part request: "Shupp XXL Train Wheels" (Third Party parts)
Recreate "Shupp XXL Train Wheels" from scratch for Parts Library as Third Party parts.

For the "Shupp XXL Train Wheels" (https://www.shapeways.com/shops/shupp-s-...rain-stuff), there was an attempt to create LDraw parts, but its files created with a "CAD->STL->DAT" workflow (not exact LDraw way to model wheels), and this attempt files might not be included into LDraw due to many other issues:
UPDATE: Removed request for "Brick Train Depot" due to owner decision to prohibit including its parts to LDraw Parts Library.
RE: Part request: "Brick Train Depot" and "Shupp XXL Train Wheels" (Third Party parts)
(2024-10-10, 15:48)Eugen Wrote: Recreate "Brick Train Depot" and "Shupp XXL Train Wheels" and from scratch for Parts Library as Third Party parts.

Some of "Brick Train Depot" wheels are just a copy of the "BBB" ("Big Ben Bricks") wheels (I suppose it licensed copies, so "Brick Train Depot" parts for same wheels as "BBB" could be aliases to corresponded "BBB" parts), but there are other "Brick Train Depot" custom wheels too:
For the "Shupp XXL Train Wheels" (https://www.shapeways.com/shops/shupp-s-...rain-stuff), there was an attempt to create LDraw parts, but its files created with a "CAD->STL->DAT" workflow (not exact LDraw way to model wheels), and this attempt files might not be included into LDraw due to many other issues:

My brother in christ what in the insane hell are you on about? 

There are existing ldraw files that have been made and shared for most of the sizes but not all of the detail variants.

As an owner of Brick Train Depot, the parts being "official" Ldraw parts is not a goal of mine and frankly I am not sure why this matters.
RE: Part request: "Brick Train Depot" and "Shupp XXL Train Wheels" (Third Party parts)
Adding to this, part of the Ldraw license under creative commons means that I dont have control over how the files gets used and since my business is selling wheels I make, and the translation from ldraw part geometry to serviceable 3D print is trivially easy, I am not inclinded to make these "official" in any capacity.
(2024-10-10, 17:34)Cam's Bricks Wrote: Adding to this, part of the Ldraw license under creative commons means that I dont have control over how the files gets used and since my business is selling wheels I make, and the translation from ldraw part geometry to serviceable 3D print is trivially easy, I am not inclinded to make these "official" in any capacity.

So, "Brick Train Depot" should not be included to LDraw Parts Library due to owner decision.

OK, got it. I'm declining this request, and keep reqesting parts only for "Shupp XXL Wheels".

Just for clarification: some of your wheels (#5, #7, #11, #13) are based on the "Big Ben Bricks" (BBB) wheels, and its parts are acceptible for the LDraw Parts Library by the BBB owner.

(2024-10-10, 13:59)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Reinhard "Ben" Beneke is a confirmed LDraw Author with a history of working with the LDraw project in the early days. Based on this the BBB bricks in the library are fine. In fact, BBB is the prime reason we allowed third party parts.

Also some of your wheels are based on the original LEGO wheels design (according to the chart on your site, it is Wheel #2), which might be already in Parts Library too.

So, only wheels #3, #4, #6, #8, #10 and #12 are the original "Brick Train Depot" custom wheels.

Correct me if I'm wrong or am I missing some design comparison.
(2024-10-10, 19:59)Eugen Wrote: So, "Brick Train Depot" should not be included to LDraw Parts Library due to owner decision.

OK, got it. I declining this request, and keep reqesting parts only for "Shupp XXL Wheels".

Just for clarification: some of your wheels (#5, #7, #11, #13) are based on the "Big Ben Bricks" (BBB) wheels, and its parts are acceptible for the LDraw Parts Library by the BBB owner.

Also some of your wheels are based on the original LEGO wheels design (according to the chart on your site, it is Wheel #2), which might be already in Parts Library too.

So, only wheels #3, #4, #6, #8, #10 and #12 are the original "Brick Train Depot" custom wheels.

Correct me if I'm wrong or am I missing some design comparison.

Uh what? I am pretty sure you are grossly misinterpreting the situation here. Having read your egregious number of posts in the last few days, I do not believe you are understanding the goal of the LDraw library.
(2024-10-10, 20:06)Cam's Bricks Wrote: Uh what? I am pretty sure you are grossly misinterpreting the situation here. Having read your egregious number of posts in the last few days, I do not believe you are understanding the goal of the LDraw library.

I suppose LDraw Parts Library is designed to include all the real bricks on the market, acceptible by LDraw Policy (https://www.ldraw.org/draft-documents/pa...d-faq.html), to help users design virtual LEGO models, basing on parts they could then buy on the market via generated inventory list.

As your parts are on the market via your store, I suggested it would be OK to include them into Parts Library too, so users could first try to design models with LDraw, including with the parts based on your design, and then buy all the bricks they needs, including from your store.

But as you decided that your parts should not be in Parts Library, I'm declining my request for creating parts based on your wheels design.
(2024-10-10, 20:16)Eugen Wrote: I suppose LDraw Parts Library is designed to include all the real bricks on the market, acceptible by LDraw Policy (https://www.ldraw.org/draft-documents/pa...d-faq.html), to help users design virtual LEGO models, basing on parts they could then buy on the market via generated inventory list.

As your parts are on the market via your store, I suggested it would be OK to include them into Parts Library too, so users could first try to design models with LDraw, including with the parts based on your design, and then buy all the bricks they needs, including from your store.

But as you decided that your parts should not be in Parts Library, I'm declining my request for creating parts based on your wheels design.

I think you have greatly missed the point. Typically non LEGO vendors will share LDraw files if they feel it suits their business. 

Ldraw came because there was no 3D data and computers were new and one guy wanted to make some instructions so he worked out how to model the physical in the late 90s. Then LEGO did LDD and LDraw is an open standard. 

If someone wants wheels or track links  or whatever, they can ask the people selling for LDraw files. There are too many missing LEGO parts to even start down the rabbit hole that is 3rd party parts.
RE: Part request: "Shupp XXL Train Wheels" (Third Party parts)
If I may step in for a moment.

The library goal is to make all physically available LEGO system complimentary and compatible products, produced by LEGO or not. We are primarily interested in LEGO produced part but we are open to adding other products produced with the intent of enhancing LEGO products (third party parts like yours).

That said, I think everyone here knows there is no central part authority making assignments. Part authors make parts that interest them. I don't think there any harm in Eugen asking for parts. There's also isn't any harm in you refusing to allow your IP to be used. As the library administrator I will honor that desire (if for no other reason than to maintain harmony with the community that supports us so well).
RE: Part request: "Shupp XXL Train Wheels" (Third Party parts)
(2024-10-10, 20:23)Cam's Bricks Wrote: Typically non LEGO vendors will share LDraw files if they feel it suits their business. 

If someone wants wheels or track links  or whatever, they can ask the people selling for LDraw files. There are too many missing LEGO parts to even start down the rabbit hole that is 3rd party parts.

I'm talking about opposite direction: when new LDraw user grabs fresh update of LDraw Parts Library, and then found that included Third Party part would fit better for their MOCs, they may then decide to find and buy this part from original seller on the market to build real LEGO model for the MOC.

I suppose not all Third Party manufacturers, which bricks are acceptible by the new Third Party parts Policy (https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-28445.html), could be known by the new users of LDraw.

And again, and finally, I declining my request for the making "Brick Train Depot" parts for LDraw Parts Library, according to your decision as an author of original bricks design to not make it included.

(2024-10-09, 23:34)Orion Pobursky Wrote: No. In the case of an author releasing CC BY 4.0 parts on their own, they still cannot be added to the library unless that author agrees to our Contributor Agreement. Public domain files can be added under CC0.

TL;DR: If you didn't author the part or you didn't derive the part from an authorized source, you cannot submit it to the library.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »