custom color -- how to?

custom color -- how to?
There is a certain shade of grey used in many of the models in the Star Wars cinematic universe (i.e. the movies). I'm talking about Han Solo's Millennium Falcon, the various Imperial fighter craft and capital ships, and the Death Star trenches. 

In my opinion, the LDraw color 71 is just a bit too dark for this specific shade of grey. However, when I try using color 151 for this shade of grey, the result looks too close to white, especially for the TIE fighters (since the grey is contrasted with black). 

Per the official color specifications for LDraw, color 71 is #969696, and color 151 is #C8C8C8. Therefore, the custom shade of grey I think I should be using would be #AFAFAF. (Since both of the afore-mentioned "official" shades of grey use the same Edge Color, I do not need to create a new such shade.) 

Now that I have the RGB hexadecimal value to use for the desired shade of grey, how do I use this info in my LDraw models, please? 

Thanks! 
Franklin
RE: custom color -- how to?
(2024-05-14, 23:40)Franklin W. Cain Wrote: Per the official color specifications for LDraw, color 71 is #969696, and color 151 is #C8C8C8. Therefore, the custom shade of grey I think I should be using would be #AFAFAF. (Since both of the afore-mentioned "official" shades of grey use the same Edge Color, I do not need to create a new such shade.) 

Now that I have the RGB hexadecimal value to use for the desired shade of grey, how do I use this info in my LDraw models, please?

Just set the color number to 0x2AFAFAF. LDraw color numbers in the range 0x2000000 to 0x2FFFFFF are opaque direct RGB colors of the form 0x2RRGGBB. (For reference, 0x3RRGGBB color numbers are transparent direct RGB colors.) See here:

https://www.ldraw.org/article/218.html#directcolour
RE: custom color -- how to?
Thanks, Travis!  ;-)  

Franklin
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »