LDraw.org 2023-02 Parts Update Now Available

LDraw.org 2023-02 Parts Update Now Available
The 2023-02 LDraw Parts Update has been released. This update adds 279 new files to the core library, including 147 new parts and 2 new primitives.

Thanks are due to all the part authors who created or corrected parts for this release. The small, but dedicated, band of reviewers also play an important role in keeping files moving through the Parts Tracker and deserve just as much credit. This update wouldn't have been possible without their dedication and attention to detail.

You can preview the new parts in 2023-02 here, and download the zip-file update or Windows install package here. Currently LDView download is unavailable due to the new server configuration. This will be fixed in the near future

This update marks phase 2 in the rollout of the new licensing scheme. In this update, parts where all the authors have agreed to new license will now be marked as CC By 4.0 only. This file are included with only the license line updated (as opposed to the the normal process of updating the !LDRAW_ORG line and adding a !HISTORY statement)

Thank you to all the beta testers and parts authors who continue feedback for the new PT software. This project would not was it is without your help.

Orion Pobursky
LDraw.org Parts Library Admin

P.S.
I have noted some parts that should be listed either the notes file or the part preview are not listed as they should be. I'm working to figure out the cause of this and will manually update these file when I patch the issue.
Update: Part preview is now fixed (notes were correct). There are a few broken images but those will be dealt with shortly.
RE: LDraw.org 2023-02 Parts Update Now Available
Thumbs Up 
Once again a big thank you and shout out to all parts authors, reviewers and hard working people of LDraw.org!
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
Thanks for all the hard work on the PT!

as a side note, one of the images is an old one, that seems not have been regenerated:
40582.dat - Constraction Weapon Ice Pick with Axle

It was regenerated on the PT
3846p4q.dat - Minifig Shield Triangular with Yellow Lion with Raised Foot on Blue and Red Background with Border Pattern

has to be renamed to:

3846p4q.dat - Minifig Shield Triangular with Yellow Lion Standing with Raised Foot on Blue and Red Background with Yellow Border Pattern

to be in sync with:

3846p4p.dat - Minifig Shield Triangular with Yellow Lion Standing with Raised Foot on Blue Background with Red Border Pattern
3846p4o.dat - Minifig Shield Triangular with Blue Lion Standing with Raised Foot on Yellow Background with Red Border Pattern

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Question 
Hey there, I started using Studio 2.0 a few months ago and I just noticed there were parts updates here, so I clicked the "Download .exe" option to "download the Windows installer for the complete library" and I managed to do everything as expected, but I just don't know where to paste/move the folder named "%CommonDocumentsFolder%". I thought I would have to replace something in Studio 2.0 files with that. I need help ;(

This is Studio 2.0's directory (system language is Portuguese (Portugal))

And these are the contents of the highlighted folder named "ldraw", which I thought I had to replace with the similar named folder within "%CommonDocumentsFolder%"

Here is "%CommonDocumentsFolder%" in Downloads, the "LDraw" folder inside and respective contents

.png   Captura de ecrã 2023-05-14 170622.png (Size: 11.64 KB / Downloads: 71)        
(2023-04-17, 5:16)Orion Pobursky Wrote: This update marks phase 2 in the rollout of the new licensing scheme. In this update, parts where all the authors have agreed to new license will now be marked as CC By 4.0 only. This file are included with only the license line updated (as opposed to the the normal process of updating the !LDRAW_ORG line and adding a !HISTORY statement)

Thanks a lot for this! About three quarters are now CC-BY-4.0.

I'm wondering though, parts like "3623.dat" (Plate  1 x  3) only contain

Code:
1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 s\3623s01.dat
4 16 -30 8 -10 30 8 -10 30 0 -10 -30 0 -10

The file is licensed as "CC-BY-2.0 and CC-BY-4.0" even though
  • "s/3623s01.dat" (which contains the actually interesting content) is CC-BY-4.0 and
  • very similar files like "3023.dat" (Plate  1 x  2) are licensed as CC-BY-4.0.
If this license is correct for that part, then this will stay like that for all eternity because there is no other way to write "3623.dat" and still let it be correct, is there?
(2023-05-14, 20:46)Johannes Schauer Wrote: Thanks a lot for this! About three quarters are now CC-BY-4.0.

I'm wondering though, parts like "3623.dat" (Plate  1 x  3) only contain

Code:
1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 s\3623s01.dat
4 16 -30 8 -10 30 8 -10 30 0 -10 -30 0 -10

The file is licensed as "CC-BY-2.0 and CC-BY-4.0" even though
  • "s/3623s01.dat" (which contains the actually interesting content) is CC-BY-4.0 and
  • very similar files like "3023.dat" (Plate  1 x  2) are licensed as CC-BY-4.0.
If this license is correct for that part, then this will stay like that for all eternity because there is no other way to write "3623.dat" and still let it be correct, is there?

You bring up an interesting point. The 2.0 author's, John Riley, edit are actually now contained in the subfile which mean this part could probably switch to 4.0. I'm sure there are other parts that fit this bill.
(2023-05-14, 21:03)Orion Pobursky Wrote: You bring up an interesting point. The 2.0 author's, John Riley, edit are actually now contained in the subfile which mean this part could probably switch to 4.0. I'm sure there are other parts that fit this bill.

Can this information be found in the metadata? Is there an automated way to find these instances?

I went through the rebrickable database to be able to sort parts by popularity by finding out how often they are contained in official sets (is there a better way?). The top 20 parts that are still CC-BY-2.0 are:

11477.dat 15068.dat 3622.dat 43093.dat 4519.dat 3623.dat 3666.dat 87580.dat 6636.dat 3437.dat 85984.dat 3713.dat 3710.dat 54200.dat 3460.dat 2420.dat 87087.dat 59900.dat 3034.dat 2357.dat

More than half of these files are below 30 lines of code.
You will get a better answer in the appropriate Studio forum at Bricklink, as it is their program and they surely know it all.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2023-05-14, 16:12)Francisco Silva Wrote: Hey there, I started using Studio 2.0 a few months ago and I just noticed there were parts updates here, so I clicked the "Download .exe" option to "download the Windows installer for the complete library" and I managed to do everything as expected, but I just don't know where to paste/move the folder named "%CommonDocumentsFolder%". I thought I would have to replace something in Studio 2.0 files with that. I need help ;(

And these are the contents of the highlighted folder named "ldraw", which I thought I had to replace with the similar named folder within "%CommonDocumentsFolder%"

Here is "%CommonDocumentsFolder%" in Downloads, the "LDraw" folder inside and respective contents

As Willy wrote, Stud.io Forum is of more help here.

Studio uses the LDRAW library, but has its own update cycles.

You can however add parts that are either released by Ldraw or still unoffical to Stud.io. Please check here how to:

https://forum.bricklink.com/viewtopic.ph...7d2f8900f0

The first post in this above thread links to a repository, where the process to integrate parts is described.
(2023-05-14, 16:12)Francisco Silva Wrote: Hey there, I started using Studio 2.0 a few months ago and I just noticed there were parts updates here, so I clicked the "Download .exe" option to "download the Windows installer for the complete library" and I managed to do everything as expected, but I just don't know where to paste/move the folder named "%CommonDocumentsFolder%". I thought I would have to replace something in Studio 2.0 files with that. I need help ;(

Hi! Bricklink Studio works in a way that doesn't allow adding parts into it's main library without a hundred extra steps. What you can do is add parts to the Custom Parts library:
1. Go to %localappdata%\Stud.io\ and check if you have CustomParts folder. If not, create it
2. Copy folders p and parts from LDraw complete library (if you have installed it with installer, should be C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw) to the %localappdata%\Stud.io\CustomParts
3. If you want to also add unofficial parts, copy everything from LDraw\Unofficial\p to %localappdata%\Stud.io\p and from LDraw\Unofficial\Parts to %localappdata%\Stud.io\parts)

Thing is, you will only have LDraw parts themselves in your Custom Parts Studio library, without any connectivity. If you want to add that, you need to do it manually using Bricklink Part Designer (it is on the stud.io)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »