Library spec suggestion

Library spec suggestion
By my reckoning, there are 3 major areas of concern for a library part:
  • Part number or filename
  • Geometry (including origin and orientation)
  • Header, the most focused on aspect being description.

Right now those requirements are spread out over 3 documents with the header/description rules further split between the header spec and the library spec. While splitting the spec like this seemed like a good idea at the time, I'm not so sure now. I think that one definitive document with good categorization and layout may be the way to go.

Thoughts?
RE: Library spec suggestion
(2022-07-16, 13:09)Orion Pobursky Wrote: By my reckoning, there are 3 major areas of concern for a library part:

Right now those requirements are spread out over 3 documents with the header/description rules further split between the header spec and the library spec. While splitting the spec like this seemed like a good idea at the time, I'm not so sure now. I think that one definitive document with good categorization and layout may be the way to go.

Thoughts?

I think that one file that would describe everything about LDraw file structure standards would be a good idea. Getting into the thing is kinda hard rn because of how many aspects are spread over many doc files
(2022-07-16, 13:50)Max Murtazin Wrote: Getting into the thing is kinda hard rn because of how many aspects are spread over many doc files

It funny you write that since the whole motivation behind creating the Library Spec and the Part Number spec was to consolidate and clarify the rules that were spread out over even more documents and forum posts. I guess I wasn't bold enough when I sought to simplify things.
(2022-07-16, 16:51)Orion Pobursky Wrote: It funny you write that since the whole motivation behind creating the Library Spec and the Part Number spec was to consolidate and clarify the rules that were spread out over even more documents and forum posts. I guess I wasn't bold enough when I sought to simplify things.

Going a bit deeper, there could probably be something like, I don't know, headstart guide that marks out all the important stuff, and few articles that go in depth on every complicated topic. 

Judging by what I have seen last years, there is quite a rise of interest in 3d (and particularly in Lego circles due to the BL Studio being a thing), so having stuff like what I have mentioned on above can be pretty nice. Currently general view on LDraw of outsiders is "this is some complicated bloody magic", which is something that can be decreased by making some stuff easier to learn
(2022-07-16, 13:09)Orion Pobursky Wrote: By my reckoning, there are 3 major areas of concern for a library part:

Thoughts?

Definitely agree, the so-called LDraw "bible", if you will.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »