Part 497a (old wheel 2x2)

Part 497a (old wheel 2x2)
This part seems to need some fixing. The flanges should be 1 LDU thicker and the channel 2 LDU thinner, in order to properly fit the tires it goes with.

Here's my proposed fix, but it brings up some other issues, like the visible edge lines where the side supports meet the backside disc. (I tried a fix, but it messes up prim sub.) And what about the origin??

Attached Files
.dat   497a.dat (Size: 2.54 KB / Downloads: 2)
RE: Part 497a (old wheel 2x2)
(2022-04-26, 21:06)N. W. Perry Wrote: This part seems to need some fixing. The flanges should be 1 LDU thicker and the channel 2 LDU thinner, in order to properly fit the tires it goes with.
Here's my proposed fix, but it brings up some other issues, like the visible edge lines where the side supports meet the backside disc. (I tried a fix, but it messes up prim sub.) And what about the origin??
Don't have the part at hand, but is it the rim that needs fixing, or the tyre, or both? isn't there some play irl? in other words, is it really worth a fix? 
Otherwise your proposed file seems OK to me. Keep origin as-is since this part is only used through shortcuts.
(2022-04-27, 8:58)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Don't have the part at hand, but is it the rim that needs fixing, or the tyre, or both? isn't there some play irl? in other words, is it really worth a fix? 
Otherwise your proposed file seems OK to me. Keep origin as-is since this part is only used through shortcuts.

I initially wondered whether it's both, but checking photos it seems to be the rim. Also, the two tires (3483 and u9131) match each other so the rim is the odd one out. And finally, the tire 3483 correctly fits rim 3482.

Otherwise I'm not sure if it's worth a fix if it's going to introduce more problems. Only reason would have been to properly fit snap info, or adjust the origin so the rim and tire can be assembled easily (more a problem for the 7039 assembly). But if the fix on the backside isn't objectionable (I don't like the big gaps when prim sub is on), then I guess the work is already done!
(2022-04-27, 13:59)N. W. Perry Wrote: (I don't like the big gaps when prim sub is on),
You can avoid that by making the quad enter inside cylinder (part is not transparent). The intersection edge lines will still be wrong but they don't appear in high quality renders.

Quote:then I guess the work is already done!
That was more or less the idea Wink
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »