Poll: Is this the best engine you've seen that utilizes part#2850?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Heck yes!
0%
0 0%
No way Jose.
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

1971 Supercharged Oldsmobile 455 Rocket Engine

1971 Supercharged Oldsmobile 455 Rocket Engine
Hey guys,

Here's my first build! 

Can I please get some help from someone more proficient at advanced editing. I need to feed the gas line and the supercharger belt correctly and I've spend all day being unable to get the 'insert' button to do what it should. I'm sure I'm just repeatedly making noob mistakes because I've managed to get the other two belts on correctly.

I'd really like some feedback on this build. I spent about a week with it on my desk as a paperweight before being urged to share it and came across this website and program(s).

As someone who uses (Auto)CAD professionally, I appreciate that this community exists: it's clearly useful and very functional, so thanks for any additional input/support!

Enjoy!
Alex

Edit: uploaded latest version to original post

Attached Files
.ldr   Olds 455 Rocket.ldr (Size: 949.12 KB / Downloads: 12)
RE: 1971 Supercharged Oldsmobile 455 Rocket Engine
(2022-04-20, 7:01)Alex Crayne Wrote: Hey guys,

Here's my first build! 

Can I please get some help from someone more proficient at advanced editing. I need to feed the gas line and the supercharger belt correctly and I've spend all day being unable to get the 'insert' button to do what it should. I'm sure I'm just repeatedly making noob mistakes because I've managed to get the other two belts on correctly.

I'd really like some feedback on this build. I spent about a week with it on my desk as a paperweight before being urged to share it and came across this website and program(s).

As someone who uses (Auto)CAD professionally, I appreciate that this community exists: it's clearly useful and very functional, so thanks for any additional input/support!

Enjoy!
Alex

It looks like all your hoses are static parts, not flexible templates like the rubber bands are. Also there seems to be some extraneous copies of the rubber band template in your file, so maybe that's what the insert key has been doing?

To add flexible parts for the hoses, etc., just drag them in from the "templates" part bin like any other part. (Or you can keep using INS, just be sure the template you want is selected in the part bin first.) Then you can go into nested editing and move the control points around where you need them.

Another thing I notice is that a lot of your parts use color 16; you'll want to assign them their proper physical color. You can select one part and then choose Select->Working part and color (in LDCad) to assign a whole bunch at once.
(2022-04-20, 14:34)N. W. Perry Wrote: It looks like all your hoses are static parts, not flexible templates like the rubber bands are. Also there seems to be some extraneous copies of the rubber band template in your file, so maybe that's what the insert key has been doing?

To add flexible parts for the hoses, etc., just drag them in from the "templates" part bin like any other part. (Or you can keep using INS, just be sure the template you want is selected in the part bin first.) Then you can go into nested editing and move the control points around where you need them.

Another thing I notice is that a lot of your parts use color 16; you'll want to assign them their proper physical color. You can select one part and then choose Select->Working part and color (in LDCad) to assign a whole bunch at once.

So I mainly work with LeoCAD and the color issue is from going back and forth between LDCad and LeoCAD. LeoCAD shows all the hoses correctly bent, but LDCad shows them in default configuration. I definitely had issues with inserting control points with the rubber bands. This is the reason I asked for help bending the rubber band and the gas hose because after I get those completed I can go back to LeoCAD and correct the coloring issue that keeps arising when I switch back and forth between these apps when trying to do advanced editing. I do understand how to accomplish the bending, however the issue with the LDCad program is when I go to nested editing => select the new rubber band and hide anything in the view of the center => select center => push 'insert' is suppose to add a new control point, however it just adds a new rubber band.

Is there someone no-so-intuitive I am doing wrong?
(2022-04-20, 16:55)Alex Crayne Wrote: when I go to nested editing => select the new rubber band and hide anything in the view of the center => select center => push 'insert' is suppose to add a new control point, however it just adds a new rubber band.

ins will add a new instance of the last used part, so if you want to add control points be sure you last selected an existing control point on the same hose.

Also keep in mind it will add the new control point after the selected one, unless it's the last one on a capped hose.
(2022-04-20, 21:00)Roland Melkert Wrote: ins will add a new instance of the last used part, so if you want to add control points be sure you last selected an existing control point on the same hose.

Also keep in mind it will add the new control point after the selected one, unless it's the last one on a capped hose.

Okay. Thank you for the intel. I will give this another shot.

Thanks,
Alex
(2022-04-20, 16:55)Alex Crayne Wrote: So I mainly work with LeoCAD and the color issue is from going back and forth between LDCad and LeoCAD. LeoCAD shows all the hoses correctly bent, but LDCad shows them in default configuration. I definitely had issues with inserting control points with the rubber bands. This is the reason I asked for help bending the rubber band and the gas hose because after I get those completed I can go back to LeoCAD and correct the coloring issue that keeps arising when I switch back and forth between these apps when trying to do advanced editing. I do understand how to accomplish the bending, however the issue with the LDCad program is when I go to nested editing => select the new rubber band and hide anything in the view of the center => select center => push 'insert' is suppose to add a new control point, however it just adds a new rubber band.

Is there someone no-so-intuitive I am doing wrong?

Oh, wow—to be honest, I did not even realize LeoCAD had flexible parts capability! It is not the same system as LDCad's however, so in the end I suspect you will have to decide on one or the other. Then again…the bands do show correctly in LeoCAD, so…that Leonardo has always been sly. ;-)
I have figured out the 'not-so-intuitive' issue I was running into. I was selecting the center ball and should've been selecting the center-line. Piece of cake afterwards.

This version is cleaned up, but please view in LeoCAD. LDCad displays the hoses in its default configuration.
Here's an update for the instructions. I used LPub3D, which didnt recognize LeoCADs flexible hoses, so I had to use imaging from both softwares and compile the pdf binder afterwards.

Here's another noob question: Is there a more intuitive software for making the instructions from the .ldr file?

Thanks again,
Alex

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z0XEmX5...sp=sharing (file too large for forum)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »