Description of 49308.dat and its sister parts

Description of 49308.dat and its sister parts
As suggested by Philo, let's move the discussion into the forum.

The initial long description was reduced as suggested by me. But doing this wasn't in line with our specs. Now the pattern part would have a missing stud qualifier. For now I added this qualifier, but as there is no other stud variant of "Cylinder 3 x 3 with Dome Top" I would like to see the stud qualifier removed completely for all 49308 parts, as suggested by Magnus.

Other opinions?
RE: Description of 49308.dat and its sister parts
(2022-02-12, 9:22)Max Martin Richter Wrote: As suggested by Philo, let's move the discussion into the forum.

The initial long description was reduced as suggested by me. But doing this wasn't in line with our specs. Now the pattern part would have a missing stud qualifier. For now I added this qualifier, but as there is no other stud variant of "Cylinder 3 x 3 with Dome Top" I would like to see the stud qualifier removed completely for all 49308 parts, as suggested by Magnus.

Other opinions?

And as I suggested, if (on any part with stud variant) a pattern exist only on one type of stud variant, no need to specify that variant in patterned part description. This applies for example to minifig heads or round tile 2x2.
(2022-02-12, 9:37)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: And as I suggested, if (on any part with stud variant) a pattern exist only on one type of stud variant, no need to specify that variant in patterned part description. This applies for example to minifig heads or round tile 2x2.

If we go this way, we need to fasttrack several parts from the official library.
(2022-02-12, 9:53)Max Martin Richter Wrote: If we go this way, we need to fasttrack several parts from the official library.
Existing extended description is no problem. Just useless.
I see no reason to have a stud description on parts with no known variants.

And we already have numerous examples of printed parts without a "complete" part description, but instead describing only the pattern.
Like heads (3626, stud type), many tiles (stud type and/or groove/no groove) , r2 droid body parts (stud type and axlehole/no axlehole), and more.

Adding a very long description of a pattern to a very long description of the part is never a good practice.
I have always thought that standardized descriptions are good, but not if the distinctive information ends up somewhere at the end of the description.

I don't think it is needed to edit/recycle all the printed parts if the design of the base part is changed.
(2022-02-12, 11:23)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: And we already have numerous examples of printed parts without a "complete" part description, but instead describing only the pattern.
Like heads (3626, stud type), many tiles (stud type and/or groove/no groove) , r2 droid body parts (stud type and axlehole/no axlehole), and more.

This isn't a good reason to be contrary to the spec. There are quite a few part that deviate from the spec in one way or another as recycling them just to align them with a non-geometry spec change is dumb. However, all efforts should be made to ensure all new or revised part do conform.
(2022-02-12, 12:29)Orion Pobursky Wrote: This isn't a good reason to be contrary to the spec. There are quite a few part that deviate from the spec in one way or another as recycling them just to align them with a non-geometry spec change is dumb. However, all efforts should be made to ensure all new or revised part do conform.
What I meant is that perhaps the specs should be clarified/updated...
(2022-02-12, 12:47)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: What I meant is that perhaps the specs should be clarified/updated...

I agree. If the specs doesn't match the reality, maybe we should adapt the specs?

Suggestion:
If the design of the base part is changed, the old files doesn't have the be updated.
If the same pattern is printed on a new version of the base part, it has to include a description the difference.

3626a, Minifig Head with Solid Stud
3626b, Minifig Head with Hollow Stud
3626c, Minifig Head with Closed Hollow Stud

3626ap01, Minifig Head with Standard Grin Pattern (Solid Stud)
3626bp01, Minifig Head with Standard Grin Pattern (Hollow Stud with Pierced Base)
3626cp01, Minifig Head with Standard Grin Pattern (Hollow Stud)

Note the difference in the use of "Hollow Stud" in 3626b and 3626cp01

(Here, in the stud descriptions, I would like to see; Solid Stud (3626a), Blocked Open Stud (3626b), Open Stud (49308), Hollow Stud (3626c), Vented Stud (28621))
I can support this.

Here's the current spec:

Quote:The description of a patterned part should in the following format:
<base part description> with <pattern description> Pattern

Where:
  •     <base part description> is the description of the non-patterned version of the part.
  •     <pattern description> is a reasonably detailed description of the pattern. If unsure, use of the description on other inventory websites is encouraged.

Here's a proposed change (in bold):
Quote:The description of a patterned part should in the following format:
<base part description> with <pattern description> Pattern

Where:
  •     <base part description> is the description of the non-patterned version of the part. Note: For parts with mold variants (e.g. tiles with or without groove), the additional qualifier for the mold is only required if the same pattern is printed on more than one variation. Example: "Minifig Head with Solid Stud with ... Pattern" can be shortened to "Minifig Head with ... Pattern" if the patterned being modeled only appears on the "Solid Stud" variation.
  •     <pattern description> is a reasonably detailed description of the pattern. If unsure, use of the description on other inventory websites is encouraged.
(2022-02-12, 13:54)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Here's a proposed change (in bold):
Perfectly fits my thought  Big Grin
(2022-02-12, 13:54)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Here's a proposed change (in bold):

Works for me.

"If the map doesn't agree with the ground, the map is wrong" - Gordon Livingstone
(2022-02-12, 13:54)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I can support this.

Here's the current spec:

Here's a proposed change (in bold):

Barring any further comments, I'll formalize this change and post it tomorrow for the LSB to vote.
This change has now passed and is added to the spec
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »