Viewing available part count

Viewing available part count
Hello, I just discovered LDCad (1.6d) and want to know if there is a way to show remaining parts in the part bin (or anywhere else).

I'm interested in creating designs from a limited number of parts, and would like a way of knowing if I've stayed within that limit.

I found the showCount property in the Overivew group http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/tech/partBin

And I exported a part list from a set on Rebrickable, dropped that file in the sets dir, and see the part count there. 

So both pieces of information exist in the tool, but I'm looking for some way to see that information together.

I can think of 2 ways I might find this:
 1) Show both use count and total count in the part bin
 2) Update part bin count to show available remaining

Is there a way to see this information? If not in LDCad, is is viewable in some other editor?

Alternatively maybe I could open a second part bin window and eyeball it, but that doesn't seem practical if I'm using very many unique parts.

Thanks!
RE: Viewing available part count
(2020-09-14, 5:47)Darin Wrote: Hello, I just discovered LDCad (1.6d) and want to know if there is a way to show remaining parts in the part bin (or anywhere else).

I'm interested in creating designs from a limited number of parts, and would like a way of knowing if I've stayed within that limit.

I found the showCount property in the Overivew group http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/tech/partBin

And I exported a part list from a set on Rebrickable, dropped that file in the sets dir, and see the part count there. 

So both pieces of information exist in the tool, but I'm looking for some way to see that information together.

I can think of 2 ways I might find this:
 1) Show both use count and total count in the part bin
 2) Update part bin count to show available remaining

Is there a way to see this information? If not in LDCad, is is viewable in some other editor?

Alternatively maybe I could open a second part bin window and eyeball it, but that doesn't seem practical if I'm using very many unique parts.

Thanks!

At this stage, I believe this is a planned feature for a future version. This was a reason for adding the part count functionality, but it hasn't yet been implemented.
(2020-09-14, 17:10)N. W. Perry Wrote: At this stage, I believe this is a planned feature for a future version. This was a reason for adding the part count functionality, but it hasn't yet been implemented.

This is what is stated in the PBG docs for LDCad. As far as I know, there is no tools to achieve what you want although it is an often requested feature.
(2020-09-14, 17:36)Orion Pobursky Wrote: This is what is stated in the PBG docs for LDCad. As far as I know, there is no tools to achieve what you want although it is an often requested feature.

Okay thanks. I've also read the documentation is outdated, so I figured it was worth asking.

Another question I have: is it possible to filter the parts to a single set or list of sets? 

I figured out how to add a part list by dropping the file in the dir structure, but it would be more helpful if I could still use the existing part bin structure and limit the results to a narrow part list. 

Say I want to find all the bricks in my custom part list, etc.
(2020-09-14, 18:40)Darin Wrote: Okay thanks. I've also read the documentation is outdated, so I figured it was worth asking.

Another question I have: is it possible to filter the parts to a single set or list of sets? 

I figured out how to add a part list by dropping the file in the dir structure, but it would be more helpful if I could still use the existing part bin structure and limit the results to a narrow part list. 

Say I want to find all the bricks in my custom part list, etc.

I'm confused on what you're looking for. Do you want:
1) Only the parts in a MOC/custom model?
2) Only the parts in an official set
3) Only the parts in a custom part list (which is really just #1 restated)

All of these things are possible in one way or another.
(2020-09-14, 19:34)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I'm confused on what you're looking for. Do you want:
1) Only the parts in a MOC/custom model?
2) Only the parts in an official set
3) Only the parts in a custom part list (which is really just #1 restated)

All of these things are possible in one way or another.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. And all 3 of those seem the essentially the same to me.

I'd the part bin to only show the parts in a custom part list. And I'd like to be able to use the existing part bin hierarchy (main -> sorted -> basic bricks, etc) to find those parts.

For example, I own 31003.

On Rebrickable I added the parts to a custom list. I then exported the part list to PBG.  I placed that file in:
    user\AppData\Roaming\LDCad\partBin\default\sets

(If there is a better/easier way I'd like to know)

Now in LDCad I see my set in the part bin under the "Lego Sets" hierarchy of the tree.

My current question is about seeing those parts in the other branches of the parts bin hierarchy. I would still like to search for parts by type (bricks, plates, etc) as I currently can with the full part list. So I'd like to filter the results to only the parts in my set. (which could have come from an official set, MOC, or a custom part list).

I understand I could fill in a text filter while viewing my set. And I suppose I could duplicate that using multiple windows with different text filters, but I'm hoping that's not the solution.
(2020-09-14, 20:17)Darin Wrote: I understand I could fill in a text filter while viewing my set. And I suppose I could duplicate that using multiple windows with different text filters, but I'm hoping that's not the solution.
That's what I do....
(2020-09-14, 20:17)Darin Wrote: I would still like to search for parts by type (bricks, plates, etc) as I currently can with the full part list. So I'd like to filter the results to only the parts in my set. (which could have come from an official set, MOC, or a custom part list).

This is indeed a planned (2.0) feature, but I might add the 'auto decreasing set inventory counts' to 1.7.

You can 'fake' the global filter you want if you are willing to do some creative filesystem management Smile

-  Make a copy of your  ldraw library, and use the new copy in LDCad instead of the original.
-  In de copy delete all .dat files in the parts folder which are not part of your personal inventory.

You could write a script doing this based on the items of a pbg file if you need it often with different scripts.

And if you are on Linux (e.g. ext3/4) you can use hard links to minimize duplicate files disk wise).
(2020-09-14, 21:51)Roland Melkert Wrote: This is indeed a planned (2.0) feature, but I might add the 'auto decreasing set inventory counts' to 1.7.

You can 'fake' the global filter you want if you are willing to do some creative filesystem management Smile

-  Make a copy of your  ldraw library, and use the new copy in LDCad instead of the original.
-  In de copy delete all .dat files in the parts folder which are not part of your personal inventory.

You could write a script doing this based on the items of a pbg file if you need it often with different scripts.

And if you are on Linux (e.g. ext3/4) you can use hard links to minimize duplicate files disk wise).

I'll consider the file management route. 

BTW, do you have an ETA for 1.7?
(2020-09-14, 22:17)Darin Wrote: BTW, do you have an ETA for 1.7?

Not really, it all depends on motivation and available free time.

I'm still hoping to releasing beta 1 this year, lots of little things to do before it can go beta though.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »